Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Bauchi

The Bauchi State Government has designed a quick
response mechanism to assist victims of religious, communal and other disasters in the state. The measure followed the influx of more victims from the crisis prone areas to the state due to insurgency and other disasters.
Stakeholders at a meeting in Bauchi designed a framework on how to effectively manage the programme and resolved to conduct a feasibility study at the places the displaced persons were residing to ascertain the number of the victims for necessary assistance.
Speaking, a representative of the International Resolve Committee, Mrs. Elizabeth Bawu, said the programme would focus attention on rendering support to health, education and social needs of victims.
Bawu said: “Statistics has shown that more than five million insurgency victims were displaced to Bauchi State and some neighbouring states, hence there is the need to provide support and intervention from government and development partners”.

Benue

Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswam, has assured the
people of the state  that the state government is taking precautionary measures to ensure there is no outbreak Ebola disease in the state.
Suswam, who spoke to newsmen yesterday, hinted that already, the state Ministry of Health had sent doctors to the Federal Ministry of Health in Abuja to get the kits in case of any outbreak in the state.
While appealing to the people of the state to be calm and go about their normal activities without fear, the governor said even though the disease is highly contagious, it is not airborne and could not be contacted unless one came in direct contact with an infected person.
Reminded that there are thousands of bats daily hovering over the Government House in Makurdi, Governor Suswam said the bats had been there even before the state was created and had not caused any problem.
“The bats have been here before Aper Aku became governor and we have not had any case of Ebola in the state. Even those who eat bats, so long as they cook it well, I don’t think it can cause any problem for them,” he said.

FCT

The Chairman, Black Creations International, a Pan African
trade and investment organisation based in the United States, Dr Joseph Brown-Diogo, says the organisation has discovered a rock with a replica of Nigeria’s physical map.
He said in a statement in Abuja last Tuesday that the rock was discovered on July 7, 2013 by a team called the “Destination Nigeria”, sponsored by the organisation.
Brown-Diogo claimed that “the spectacular rock formation in Rayfield  Jos, Plateau State, depicts the geographical map of Nigeria. This eighth wonder of nature signifies nature’s replica of God’s divine plan for Nigeria, displayed on a rock formation of more than 10,000 years old”.
He said the organisation had named it “Unity Rock” with a view to solidifying the unity of Nigeria and packaging it as a potential tourist site that could boost Nigeria’s image and generate income for the tourism sector.

Kebbi

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, an NGO, last
Tuesday said it would train 5,000 rice farmers in Kebbi State on modern methods and technology of rice production.
The Chairman, Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria, Alhaji Sahabi Augie, said in Birnin Kebbi that the training was part of the NGO’s efforts to boost commercial rice production and contribute to food security in the country.
He said the association had shortlisted farmers from Bagudo, Suru, Jega, Bunza and Argungu Local Government Areas as potential beneficiaries of the training.
Augie said after the training, the NGO would provide farmers with improved seedlings, fertilizer, pesticides, water pumping machines and qualified extension workers, among other logistics support.
He called on the selected farmers to make judicious use of the knowledge they would acquire from the training and commended the NGO for choosing Kebbi as one of the two states to host the pilot programme.

Kwara

Tragedy struck, yesterday morning in Ilorin, when a Pastor
who was a volunteer member of his Community Development Association, was drowned in a flood while creating pathway for the water’s free flow in front of his house. The over 10-hour rain in the state capital started about midnight lasting till about 11am, yesterday.
The deceased, according to residents in Kilanko area of the state capital, where the incident happened, used to create water channels whenever there was such heavy rain.
The pastor whose name was yet to be ascertained at press time, was going about his past time when he slipped and fell into the gutter and the flood carried him away. Unfortunately, there was nobody to rescue him.
It was when the rains subsided some 30 minutes later that the residents discovered that the pastor was missing. A search party was quickly set up which later found him dead inside a gully, about 500 metres from his house. Contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Ajayi Okasanmi, confirmed the incident. He said his remains had been deposited at the University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital, UITH, morgue.

Lagos

The Lagos State Government has started compiling a
comprehensive list of all persons who may have had contact with the female doctor infected with Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).
The doctor contracted the disease from the Liberian national, Mr. Patrick Sawyer, when she battled to save his life at the First Consultants Medical Centre, a Lagos-based hospital, before his death two weeks ago.
Speaking at a press briefing yesterday in Lagos, the state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, said the contact tracing was part of measures to contain the spread of the dreaded virus.
Idris, who addressed the conference alongside his Special Duties counterpart, Dr. Wale Ahmed, urged members of the public to be vigilant and careful in relating with people who are facing health challenges.

Jigawa

The Jigawa State Command of Nigeria Security and Civil
Defence Corps, (NSCDC), has returned N495,000 recovered from an alleged 75-year-old  fraudster, Alhaji Aliyu Yahaya, in Ringim Local Government Area of the State, to the owners.
The suspect, alleged to have defrauded 11 unsuspecting graduates who wanted to work as task force officers with the state government, was arrested by officers of NSCDC following a tip off.
The suspect had confessed during interrogation that the money he collected was remitted to one retired police officer in Kaduna State after taking his commission of N5,000 per person.
The Jigawa Commandant of the NSCDC, Dr. Mohammed Gidado, said the suspect would face prosecution and warned that extortion of the people would not be tolerated in the state.
Nasarawa

The Minority Leader, Nasarawa State House of Assembly,
Mr. Tanko Maikatako, says President Goodluck Jonathan’s efforts to amicably settle the dispute between the lawmakers and Governor Umaru Al-Makura were rejected.
“The President’s efforts toward peace were not successful due to selfishness among the lawmakers,” Maikatako, a member of the All Progressives Congress, who represents Lafia Central Constituency,  said last Wednesday in Lafia.
According to him, Jonathan had appealed to the lawmakers to opt for dialogue rather than impeaching Al-Makura, but that the legislators insisted on removing the governor.
“The President met with us and appealed to us to go back and meet with the governor to iron out the issues, but the members refused.We don’t know why it happened that way. If the President himself, the PDP leader in the country, appeals to his colleagues to return to Nasarawa, meet the governor to iron out issues, they should have come back,” he opined.

Osun

Former Osun State Governor, Olagunsoye Oyinlola sealed
yesterday his renunciation of the People Democratic Party (PDP), which he urged the people to reject at the poll on Saturday.
Oyinlola, now of the APC, was all smiles as he danced and sang at the party’s rally ahead of the governorship election. He said the electorate should not vote PDP’s candidate Iyiola Omisore.
Clad in complete All Progressives Congress (APC) customised agbada at the party’s mega rally at Osogbo Township Stadium, the former governor said there was no project the ruling party at the federal level had executed in Osun to deserve the people’s vote.
In a speech brimming with anecdotes, Oyinlola, an Okuku prince, swore with sanctity of the royal crown to further authenticate his claims, as he tasked would-be voters to cast their votes wisely.

Oyo

Head of Service of Oyo State, Mr Williams Adesoji Eniade,
whose appointment was recently approved by the state governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, has resumed duties.  Eniade was the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Youths and Sports.
Eniade appointment was made public by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media, Dr Festus Adedayo. He succeeded Alhaji Tajudeen Aremu.
Born on April 31, 1959, Eniade obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Geography from the University of Ibadan in 1981 and a Master of Public Administration (MPA) from the Obafemi  Awolowo University, Ile-Ife in 1997.
Eniade, a 2012 graduate of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, joined the services of the Oyo State Government on February 8, 1983 as Administrative Officer II and rose through the ranks to become a Permanent Secretary on July 3, 2009.
Congratulating him on the appointment, Governor Ajimobi charged him to discharge his duties with     integrity dedication, diligence and professionalism.

Jigawa State Deputy Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Mahmoud (right), with Emir of Ringim, Alhaji Sayyadi Mahmoud, during his visit to the Emirate over flood disaster last Sunday.

Jigawa State Deputy Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Mahmoud (right), with Emir of Ringim, Alhaji Sayyadi Mahmoud, during his visit to the Emirate over flood disaster last Sunday.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending