Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Ekiti

An Ado-Ekiti Magistrate Court has remanded one Iboi
Sunday, 25, in prison custody for allegedly raping and strangling a 13-year-old girl to death.
Chief Magistrate Olanike Adegoke gave the order pending the outcome of the legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP).
She adjourned the case to December13 for further hearing.
Prosecutor Sunday Onwuchekwa had told the court that the accused committed the offence on October 29, 2013 at Oshodi farm, Eyio -Ekiti in Irepodun/Ifelodun Local Government Area of Ekiti State.

FCT

Parents Consultative Association of Nigerian Universi
ties (PCANU) has commiserated with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) over the death of its former President, Prof. Festus Iyayi.
The group conveyed its message in a statement signed by its President, Mr Donald Sobara, and issued in Abuja recently.
Sobara described the late Iyayi as a renowned academic and a respected human rights activist, who had been part of ASUU’s negotiating team with the Federal Government to end the struggle.
“We must put aside everything and mourn this great man of honour and integrity.

Gombe

President Goodluck Jonathan is expected to declare open
the second North-East Economic Summit scheduled for December 3 in Gombe, Gombe State.
Chairman of the Publicity Committee of the summit, Alhaji Bashir Bello-Akko, made this known when he interacted with newsmen in Gombe State.
Bello-Akko said preparations were in progress to ensure a successful summit.
According to him, two pre-summit conferences were held recently in Abuja to discuss issues that would be deliberated upon in the summit.

Kaduna

A total of 53 Cadets of the Nigeria Defence Academy
have joined the Special Elite Force after successfully completing a six-week basic airborne course at the Nigeria School of Infantry, Jaji, Kaduna State.
The Commandant of the School, Maj.Gen. Tukur Buratai, said the training was designed to “produce physically fit and skilled elite troops capable of being launched into battle field from an aircraft”.
Represented by Col Sani Audu, the commandant said the paratroopers had displayed high discipline and professionalism during the course.

Kano

The Joint Security Taskforce (JTF) has said it had killed
two suspected Boko Haram members at Gayawa in Ungoggo Local Government Area of Kano State.
This is contained in a statement signed by spokesman of the JTF, Capt. Ikedichi Iweha, and made available to newsmen in Kano State.
The statement stated that the suspects lost their lives during an early morning operation at Gayawa general area.
“A further cordon and search operation was conducted this morning at about 6.30 at Gayawa general area”, the statement said.
Kebbi

The Raw Materials Research and Development Council
(RMRDC), says it would upgrade its intervention programmes in agriculture and mining to boost industrial development in Kebbi State.
The acting Director-General of the council, Dr Hassan Ibrahim said this in Birnin Kebbi at the opening of a capacity building workshop with the theme“Harnessing Fruit Juice Processing and Packaging in Kebbi state.”
Represented by Mr Usain Wele, the director general said the RMRDC had in the past assisted stakeholders in the state to promote their trades.
Kogi

The Kogi State House of Assembly has resolved to con
stitute a delegation to go to Benin and commiserate with the family of the late Prof. Festus Iyayi.
The resolution came after the assembly adopted a motion moved by the Majority Leader, Alhaji Yakubu Yunusa, at plenary.
Yunusa had in the motion called for the constitution of a powerful delegation from the assembly to go to Benin and commiserate with the family of the late Iyayi.
“The late professor, who was a former President of ASUU and author, was a leader who devoted and sacrificed his all for the country.
Kwara

An Ilorin Magistrate Court has  remanded the tradi
tional ruler of Tewu Village, in Baruteen Local Government Area of Kwara State, Sinapatiagi Sule, for alleged inhuman treatment.
The monarch was arraigned on a four-count charge with his seven chiefs for criminal conspiracy, culpable homicide, causing grievous hurt, and trial by ordeal.
The chiefs are Musa Lafia, Gunu Adamu, Muhammed Akpo, Usman Sabi, Sule Taku, Gunu Ibrahim and Amuda Tabe.
Prosecutor Adekunle Iwaleye told the court that the monarch invited the seven complainants to his palace for allegedly belonging to witches and wizards.

Niger

The Niger State Government has signed a N1.2 billion
Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) with Soject Nigeria Limited for the upgrading of Brigi-Lapai gwari road in the state.
Alhaji Mu’azu Bawa, the Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure Development, who signed on behalf of the state government, said that the project was designed to ease traffic congestion in the area.
He said the initial design of the road project was surface-dressing as feeder road to cater for the villages within the area.
Bawa, however, said that the state government changed the design to make it a by-pass to accommodate more traffic.
Ogun

Governor  Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State  has pre
sented a budget proposal of N210.21 billion for 2014 to the State House of Assembly.
Christened “Budget of Consolidation’’, Amosum said the 2014 was slightly lower than the 2013 figure of N211.86 billion and geared toward the actualisation of the administration’s mission to rebuild the state.
He said N117.51billion was earmarked for capital expenditure, while N92.70 billion would be for recurrent expenditure.
The governor said the expected revenue was N154.38 billion, while the capital receipt was  N55.83 billion.

Ondo

A trader, Remi Lanre, has appeared before an Akure
Magistrate Court for allegedly assaulting a police officer.
The Prosecutor, ASP. Pelumi Adejuwon, alleged that the accused committed the offence on November 18, at about 1 p.m. at Ilotin, off Ijoka road in Akure.
“She unlawfully assaulted one Cpl Cecilia Adebisi, attached to Oda Divisional Police Headquarters, Akure.
“The accused rough-handled the police officer by damaging her uniform, crest and wrist watch,” he said.

Oyo

A university teacher has called for the creation of more
employment opportunities for women to improve the health status of mothers and their children.
Dr Adetola  Adeoti, lecturer, Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Ibadan,  made the call at the National Policy Seminar on Health, Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction in Ibadan last Tuesday.
In her paper: “Child Health and Maternal Health Status and Demand for Health Care Services in Nigeria’’, she said “educated and employed mothers will not only be healthy but also have healthy children.’’
She said Nigeria experienced significant increase in economic growth in the last decade yet the health indicators were very poor particularly in the rural areas where poverty remained high.

Taraba

The Director, Public Complaints Commission in
Taraba State, Alhaji Sa’ad Mohammed, has said that the disparities existing in salaries of civil servants in the country were unfair.
Mohammed said this in Jalingo in an interactive session with the State-Based Federal Civil Servants in Taraba State.
“I cannot understand why people who graduated from the same school, department and at the same grade level, are receiving different salaries, simply because they are not working in the same organisations.
“Some earn even three times what their mates are earning elsewhere. Are there public establishments that are not important.”
He, however, said that the disparities had recently been bridged to some extent by the present administration, but stressed that the gap was still wide.

Chairman, Gombe State Sports Commission, Mr Faruk Yarma (left), briefing Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo (right), during an inspection tour of sports facilities in Gombe last Wednesday. With them is the Principal Permanent Secretary to the Governor, Alhaji Sani Joro (middle). Photo: NAN

Chairman, Gombe State Sports Commission, Mr Faruk Yarma (left), briefing Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo (right), during an inspection tour of sports facilities in Gombe last Wednesday. With them is the Principal Permanent Secretary to the Governor, Alhaji Sani Joro (middle).
Photo: NAN

Continue Reading

Nation

Rivers Deputy Governor Hails PH City One Love For Humanitarian Gesture

Published

on

Rivers state Deputy Governor Professor Ngozi Nma Odu has commended “The Port Harcourt City One Love,”a Port Harcourt based humanitarian orgnisation For it’s commitment towards alleviating the sufferings of the poor and vulnerable in the society.

Professor Ngozi Nma Odu said this while speaking at this year’s edition of “operation feed the needy” a yearly outreach program of “The Port Harcourt City One Love ” in Port Harcourt.
The Deputy Governor said by feeding more than sixty thousands hungry people within the past six years, the Port Harcourt City One Love Movement has distinguished itself as a club that cares for the less privilege in the society.

She commended the , organization for listing eleven thousand persons to be fed in the current exercise.

Meanwhile The Port Harcourt City One Love  has planned a permanent solution to the problem of feeding the poor in the state.

The leader of the group Mr Idaere Gogo Ogan who said this in an interview with newsmen during the distribution of food items to the poor and vulnerables in Port Harcourt said the organization is planning a permanent food kitchen where poor and vulnerable persons can work in anytime and get fed.

Idaere Gogo Ogan said more than sixty thousands poor and vulnerable persons across Port Harcourt City and environs have been fed since the inception of “The operation feed the needy” program six years ago,adding that so far sixty thousands poor and vulnerable persons have beneffited.

 

He described the group as a platform to promote friendship, brotherhood, community development empathy and feeding the less privilege and hungry people
“That’s what we are doing today here,so we started the exercise six years ago”.he said.

Ogan said the effort was a private sector driven initiative but added “it also involves people in Government because the platform does not recognize any division,we bring everybody together in unity , friendship and brotherhood”he said.

He said the effort will go along way in alleviating hunger especially following the prevailing hunger in the country.

According to him “you know the country is very tough, people are hungry people are starving, there is a whole lot of economic hardship,so for us, this is just our own way of reaching out, our own social contribution to what is very difficult”he said.

Over eleven thousand persons were fed in the just concluded exercise.
Areas of coverage include, Isaac Boro park, Port Harcourt prison/Macoba, Borokiri/Enugu waterside Bundu areas Waterlines and others.

Some of the beneficiaries including an 80 years old widow commended the movement for the annual programm and urged other organizations to emulate them

 

John Bibor,/Esuuk Oyet/Suotor Memoye /Jeremiah Hannah

Continue Reading

Nation

We’ll Partner Private Sector to Industrialize Rivers State – Fubara …Hints Revitalization of Ahoada, Trans Amadi Industrial layout

Published

on

Rivers State Governor , Sir Siminialayi Fubara says the industrialization of the state remains a key drive of his administration.
Speaking through Director General of the Rivers  State Investment Promotion Agency, Dr. Chamberlain Peterside at the Shell Gas Limited and Manufacturers Association of Nigeria(MAN) Investors Forum held in Port Harcourt, Fubara stressed that public /private partnership is key to revive production in the state.
“We are ready to partner Shell Gas Limited to revive manufacturing in Rivers State at Ahoada Industrial Park, and the new Port City project, including the proposed Bonny Industrial Park which will grow industries along the Bonny corridor” he declared.
Part of the scheme, he further stated is to collaborate with Shell Gas Limited and the private sector to transform Rivers State into a major manufacturing hub in the South of Nigeria.
Commending Shell and MAN for leading the frontline, Sir. Fubara said,” the time to act is now  and thank God Shell is taking the lead to prioritize gas.”
The governor opined that the gas sector provides huge investment opportunities to drive the state economy as the world is gradually shifting towards gas and other environment friendly energy, while urging stakeholders to evolve an actionable gas policy for the state.
Earlier in his remarks, Shell Gas Limited Head of Gas Distribution, Mr. Chukwuka Amos-Ejesi said it is high time the state utilized its huge gas resource.
“Today gas offers investors opportunities and raises the value chain as it boosts production for industry users,” Amos-Ejesi said.
The Shell Gas Distribution executive said the company seeks to support manufacturing by adopting a user friendly approach that allows manufacturers to grow profitably with affordable cheaper energy.
He explained that natural gas provides huge potentials and aligns with federal government  policy of gas utilization.
Chairman of MAN Rivers and Bayelsa Branch, Elder Vincent Okugu described gas as the backbone of manufacturing.
He said the forum has become timely and key to address the pressing energy provision to boost production in the sector, as he lamented the high costs borne by manufacturers in sourcing energy alternatives.
In her remarks, Chairperson of  the Port Harcourt Chamber of Commerce Industry Mines and Agriculture, Dr. Chinyere Ngozi Nwoga commended Shell for the forum which she described as a bridge to reduce gap of energy provision for manufacturers.
Ngozi Nwoga said the transition to natural gas has become imperative, stressing that pipeline gas offers cheaper and smooth energy provision for industries.
Former MAN chairperson for Rivers and Bayelsa States, Mrs Emilia Akpan was of the view that the quest to provide cheap energy should be driven with technical manpower, as she emphasized  need for Rivers State to recreate its economy.
By Kevin Nengia
Continue Reading

Nation

SheVentures Open Zero-interest Loan Applications for Women Entrepreneurs

Published

on

First City Monument Bank (FCMB) has opened a new round of applications for its SheVentures proposition, offering zero-interest loans of up to N10 million to women entrepreneurs to ease access to working capital and support business growth.
The facility provides loans ranging from N500,000 to N5 million under a general category, and N5 million to N10 million for sector-specific businesses, with funding capped at up to 50% of an applicant’s average monthly turnover.
Managing Director and Chief Executive of First City Monument Bank (FCMB),  Yemisi Edun,  said the initiative reflects a deliberate approach to inclusive growth.

“Inclusive growth requires access to capital and the right conditions for businesses to deploy that capital effectively. Women-led enterprises are critical to economic activity, yet they face structural barriers.

“This intervention aims to help close that gap by providing financing that supports job creation, business expansion, and long-term sustainability for women entrepreneurs”, Edun said.

Group Head, SheVentures and Impact Segments at First City Monument Bank (FCMB), Nnenna Jacob-Ogogo said access to affordable finance remains a major constraint for women entrepreneurs.

 

Continue Reading

Trending