Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Benue

The Benue State Commissioner for Works, Mr Benjamin Ashaver,
says over N55.3 million has so far been recovered from the Value Trust
Investments for non-execution of rural roads project.

Ashaver told
reporters on Wednesday in Makurdi that the money was recovered from the
contractor for his inability to execute the project, adding that the contract
which was awarded in 2004, had 18 months duration from the time of award.

He expressed regret that though 30 per cent of the contract
sum had been paid as mobilisation, the contractor still failed to complete the
job.   Ashaver said the contract was
awarded at the sum of N2.303 billion, pointing out that the contractor was duly
mobilised for the job and paid N691.068 million but expressed regret that the
total work done by the contractor amounted to only N195.799 million.

 

FCT

The Federal Government will eliminate all equipment with
high toxic contents known as Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB) by 2025, the
Minister of Environment, Hajia Hadiza Mailafia, said on Thursday.

Polychlorinated
Biphenyl are a class of organic compounds found to be fire-resistant, stable
and non-conductive to electricity and with low volatility under normal
conditions.

Equipment containing PCBs include transformers, capacitors,
ballasts, paint additives and hydraulic fluid additives.

Mailafia gave the indication at the inauguration and first
meeting of the Inter-ministerial Steering Committee for the Polychlorinated
Biphenyl management project in Nigeria.

Represented by Dr Uju Okoye, the Deputy Director in the
Office of the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Environment, the minister
recalled that the production of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) had been
banned globally since the 1980s due to their toxicity.

 

Jigawa

The Jigawa State Government said on Wednesday that it had
begun the spraying of farms with insecticide to reduce the destruction of
produce by the quela birds.   The
Commissioner for Agriculture, Alhaji Rabiu Isa, said in Dutse that the spraying
of farm produce was being carried out in four local government areas.

Isa identified the four council areas as Guri, Birniwa,
Kirikassama and Kafin-Hausa, saying the exercise was carried out in the
affected areas in collaboration with the Jigawa Agricultural Development Agency
(JARDA).

The commissioner said that the agency had deployed extension
workers equipped with insecticide and sprayers to the affected areas.

 

Jos

Maj.-Gen. Henry Ayoola, the Commander, Special Task Force
(STF) in Plateau, has said that it would partner with the Rotary Club of Jos to
restore peace to the state.

Ayoola said this in Jos on Saturday at the installation of
Marlvis Olubiyi as new President of the club.

He lauded the clubs stand on character molding and described
such as a necessary tool for peaceful coexistence.

He solicited the club’s collaboration in the area of youth
empowerment.

Ayoola congratulated the new president and lauded the
programmes she outlined to achieve in her one year tenure.

Earlier, Olubiyi said she would provide a borehole and a
transformer for the school of the deaf in Rukuba.

“We are also going to organise essay competitions for
secondary school students,’’ she said. She explained that the essay
competitions would be centred on peace to enable the students to learn more
about peace and its importance.

She also said road shows would be conducted on Saturdays to
preach peace to the residents of Jos.

Our correspondent reports that prizes were given to those
who arrived early for the event. The gesture, according to the immediate past
president of the club, Nalfa Banfa, was to encourage people to keep to time.

 

Kano

The Kano State Government has approved N33.3 million for the
clearing of the drainage at Farm Centre, in Kano metropolis. The state
Commissioner for Water Resources, Dr Yunusa Dangwani, disclosed this while
briefing newsmen on the outcome of the State Executive Council meeting in Kano
on Wednesday. He said the clearing of the drainage was necessary to prevent
possible flooding in the area and to guard against possible outbreak of
communicable diseases.

According to him, the council has also approved N669 million
for the state participation in the 8th National Council on Tourism, Culture and
National Orientation in Ilorin, Kwara.

 

Katsina

The Katsina State government says it has awarded a N454
million contract for water projects in six local government areas of the state.
The Commissioner for Water Resources, Alhaji Jamilu Mamman, disclosed this
while briefing newsmen in Katsina on Thursday. He said that the contract was
approved by the state executive council at its meeting held on Wednesday,
pointing out the contract comprised the expansion and upgrading of semi-urban
water schemes in Kankia, Mai’adua, Batsari, Mani, Danmusa and Zango Local
Government Areas of the state.

The commissioner said the contract, with a completion period
of three months, was part of the state government’s commitment towards ensuring
enhanced water supply throughout the state.

 

Kaduna

Zubairu Isa, 45, of Hayin Rigasa Area, Kaduna, on Wednesday
appeared before the Kaduna Sharia Court 2, for alleged trespass on a plot of
land belonging to one Musa Magaji of Kontagora road.

The complainant told the court that the accused encroached
on his property at Rigasa and started building on it. Magaji further told the
court that the accused had refused to take heed of his repeated warning to stop
the construction.

“I told to him several times but he refused to stop the
building so I brought the matter to court to seek justice,’’ he said.

 

Kwara

The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar on
Saturday in Ilorin announced a N500, 000 annual cash award to the best Islamic
Studies graduate of the University of Ilorin.

The Sultan announced the grant at the opening of an
international conference on the Life and Works of Shayk Adam Al-Ilory held at
the university.

The Sultan said the ‘Shaykh Al-Ilory Award’ would commence
from the next convocation of the university, adding that it was meant to
inspire the students and publicise the life and works of the late scholar.

He described Al-Ilory as a “great and outstanding
personality” worthy of emulation.

The Sultan said it was necessary to put in place the right
institutional framework for the training of future Islamic scholars, to prevent
the propagation of divisive ideas and behaviours among Muslims.

“It is imperative for the Muslim Ummah to be able to apply
his seminal ideas and teachings in addressing some of its pressing problems.

“The legacy of Shaykh Al-Ilory is undoubtedly a legacy
worthy of emulation.

“We must consciously cultivate an active and dedicated class
of scholars who would dedicate their lives to the pursuit of knowledge and its
dissemination.

“We must all realise that Islam is predicated on knowledge
and Muslims societies are necessarily knowledgeable societies.

 

Ondo

The Secretary, Ondo State Gymnastics Association, Bolanle
Adebiyi, said the maiden Tunji Dairo Open Gymnastics Competition was to enable
states within South-West Zone II of the NSC to identify gymnasts for 18th
National Sports Festival.

The competition is being sponsored by Tunji Dairo, who
represents Owo Constituency II in the state House of Assembly.

Adebiyi said on Saturday in Akure that the competition was
for gymnasts from Osun, Ekiti and the hosts Ondo.

“It is a preparatory championships ahead of National Sports
Festival and we will use it to know how prepared our athletes are for the
festival.

“Since we are not participating in the zonal eliminations,
we have to organise zonal competitions like this to know the athletes we will
invite to camp when it commences.

“The states are to present 24 gymnasts each at the
competition which will begin on Monday at the Indoor Sports Hall of the Akure
Township Stadium.,’’ she said.

It would be recalled that the Ondo gymnasts won three gold,
four silver and one bronze at the 17th edition of the festival in Port Harcourt
last year.

 

Lagos

Some medical experts on Thursday expressed divergent views
on the Federal Government’s plan to establish a world-class private managed
hospital in each of the six geo-political zones of the country.    In separate interviews in Lagos some of the
experts said, that the hospitals would improve access to healthcare service,
others said it would not benefit the average Nigerian.

The Federal Government had on August 15 announced plan to
set up six private sector-managed mega-hospitals. Under the scheme, the
government is giving the private sector the nod to mobilise resources to
establish and manage the facilities in selected states in the six zones.

The National President, Nigerian Medical Association (NMA),
Dr Osahon Enabulele, said that the establishment of the mega-hospitals would
improve access to healthcare service.

 

Osun

The National Commission for Museums and Monuments (NCMM) on
Wednesday called on Nigerians to support the Osun-Osogbo festival for the good
of the country.

Mr Olakunle
Makinde, the Curator and Heritage Sites Manager, Osun Groove, made the call
while speaking with newsmen ahead of the festival’s grand finale scheduled for
Friday.

Makinde said that since it was only two of the Nigerian
heritage sites that had made it to the UNESCO world heritage list, Nigerians
should support it to make it the envy of nations.  Our correspondent said  that the Osun-Osogbo in Osun State and Sukur
in Adamawa are listed on the World heritage list by UNESCO. The curator said
that as the official custodian of the groove, NCMM supported the people of
Osun, the traditional ruler of Osogbo and the Yoruba people to ensure the
sustenance of the cultural heritage.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending