Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Bauchi

Bauchi State Commissioner for Health, Dr Sani Malami, has warned rural dwellers against drying food items by the roadside, to guard against Lassa fever.

Speaking at a news conference on Tuesday in Bauchi, Malami said that the common practice of drying foodstuffs on the shoulders of highways could result in rodents that carried the Lassa fever disease contaminating the food items.

The commissioner stated that the warning became necessary as part of educating the people on the dangers of the disease, which has already affected about 397 people and claimed more than 40 lives in 12 states across the country.

“The Health Ministry is requesting the Ministry of Information as well as the media, to pursue a vigorous enlightenment campaign in collaboration with the State Environmental Protection Agency (BASEPA).

“The campaign is to discourage farmers and rural dwellers from the practice of drying grains on road shoulders on the highways because they could easily get contaminated by rodents,” he said.

He advised rural dwellers to find other suitable methods of drying their foodstuffs to avert disaster as Lassa fever is spreading fast in the country

Malami also solicited for the support of religious and traditional leaders in educating the people on safe methods of preserving food items.

 

Benue

The Benue State University (BSU), Makurdi, on Saturday matriculated 3,562 students into six faculties of the university for the 2011/2012 academic session.

The matriculating students were selected from the 17,433 candidates who sat for the last UTME and 3,280 direct entry candidates who applied to study at the university.

Tthere was no intake at the College of Health Sciences for the session due to the non-completion of the priority areas at the Teaching Hospital.

In her address at the 20th matriculation ceremony, Prof. Charity Angya, the vice chancellor of the university, told the students that Gov. Gabriel Suswam had promised to complete the hospital within two weeks.

“This will pave way for admission into the MBBS programme in the 2012/2013 academic year and ensure that our medical students do not continue to stagnate at the clinical level.’’

She urged the students to dedicate themselves to promoting academic excellence.

The don noted that many educational institutions had been plagued with social problems such as cultism, noting that BSU also had its share of the menace.

She appealed to them to shun all social vices that could impede their progress in life, warning that the consequence of indulging in social vices was expulsion.

Our correspondent reports that the matriculation oath was administered by Dr Timothy Utile, the registrar of the university.

 

Borno

Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State has expressed shock over last week’s  killing of Alhaji Adamu Ahmadu, the Comptroller of the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) in charge of Yobe and Borno State.

Ahmadu was killed on Tuesday at his residence in Potiskum, Yobe, by gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram members.

Shettima, who was exchanging views with journalists in Maiduguri, described the killing as sad.

The governor condoled with the NCS and family of the late comptroller over the incident.

Shettima said that from his brief encounter with the late comptroller, it was clear that he was a professional gentleman that had a vision to transform the service.

The governor prayed to God to grant his family and the NCS the fortitude to bear the loss.

 

FCT

President Goodluck Jonathan has formally written to commiserate with the families, people and governments of the two expatriates killed by their captors in Sokoto State last Thursday.

A statement in Abuja said the two separate letters were addressed to the Prime Minister of Britain, David Cameron and his Italian counterpart, Mario Monti.

The statement, signed by President’s spokesperson Reuben Abati, said the letters were delivered through diplomatic channels.

Jonathan said that the hearts of the people and government of Nigeria went out to members of the immediate families of the victims in their moment of grief.

He prayed that the Almighty God imbues them with the fortitude to cope with painful tragedy.

The President assured the leaders of both countries that “the Nigerian Government remains resolutely committed to facing up squarely the challenge of terrorism on our shores and in the international community.’’

 

Gombe

The Federal College of Education (FCE), Gombe, has matriculated 456 students into degree programmes for the 2011/2012 academic session.

The college is an affiliate of the University of Maiduguri and the Abubakar Tafawa Belewa University (ATBU), Bauchi.

The provost of the college, Dr Adamu Abbas, said that out of the 456 matriculating students, 330 were undergraduate students in various programmes of the University of Maiduguri, while 126 were undergraduate students of ATBU, Bauchi.

He said the occasion was the second matriculation for degree programmes in the school, noting that the first was in July 2010.

The provost advised the students to be serious with their studies, stressing that “anti-social behaviours such as indiscipline, refusal to attend lectures and cultism would not be tolerated.”

In his speech, the Vice Chancellor of University of Maiduguri, Prof. Malah Daura, said the institution would maintain high quality staffing and improve its infrastructure to produce quality graduates and maintain the standards set by the National Universities Commission.

 

Kano

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration Control (NAFDAC) will in April commence the re-certification of all registered sachet water factories in Kano state.

The state NAFDAC Coordinator, Akinwomi Adedeji, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Kano. He said the exercise would also audit available facilities in the factories to ensure that they meet the set standards.

“During the re-certification, those who meet our requirements will be re-certificated, while those who do not will be given time to adjust or be deregistered,’’ Adedeji said. The coordinator said NAFDAC officials would inspect facilities in all the registered factories in the 44 local government areas of the state.

According to him, the agency plans to hold a meeting with the registered water producers and organise a workshop to sensitise them on the proposed exercise.

 

Kebbi

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), has donated relief materials worth N10 million to victims of rainstorm in Yauri Local Government Area of Kebbi.

Two people lost their lives while six others were injured in the incident which also left several structures destroyed.

The incident occurred a fortnight ago when the area witnessed its first rainfall of the year.

The North West Acting Coordinator of NEMA, Alhaji Musa Ilelah, presented the relief materials to the victims in Yauri last Tuesday.

 

Kogi

Kogi House of Assembly has called on the Federal Government to urgently review and re-award contract for the completion of the abandoned maximum security prison in Koton-Karfe, first awarded in 1983.

The call was made in a resolution of the house reached at a plenary sitting, following the adoption of the motion by Chief Saidu Akawu-Salihu, representing Kogi-Koton/Karfi constituency.

 

Lagos

The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA), has produced a film on the management of the ecosystem, as parts of its advocacy on sustainable environment.

The film, which would be shown on local television stations, was produced in collaboration with Adams Paul Film Production (APFP).

Paul Adams, Director of APFP told newsmen in Lagos that the film was aimed at enlightening Nigerians to be eco-friendly, and manage waste and climate change.

“Managing waste and climate change is encompassing. It is about managing power, water pollution, controlling how we throw dirt anyhow especially pure water sachet and other things that affect the environment.

 

Plateau

A  member of  Plateau House of Assembly, Daniel Deng says the state of emergency imposed on four local government areas is causing hardship in the councils.

The Federal Government imposed the state of emergency on Riyom, Barkin Ladi, Jos North and Jos South in December due to the persistent crises in the areas.

Deng told newsmen in Jos Saturday that since the imposition of the emergency rule, funds meant for the four councils had been withdrawn.

He said the withdrawal of the councils’ allocation had exposed workers to hunger.

The said development was worrisome and had created more challenges.

 

Sokoto

A Sokoto-based legal practitioner, Nasiru Binji, on Saturday urged the Federal Government to equip the National Directorate of Employment (NDE), with  all the necessary facilities to train unemployed youths in various trades.

Binji told newsmen in Sokoto that it would enable the teeming youths to be self reliant, thereby developing the economy.

He said the Federal Government needed to focus on creating job opportunities for Nigeriams.

“Thousand of unemployed youths roam our major streets in search of job and is not doing good to our nation’s security.”

He explained that provision of learning materials at the various NDE offices would help the youth in learning various skilled trades.

 

Taraba

The Federal Government, Taraba and a Kenya-based, American rice farmer, Mr Calvin Burgess, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the production of rice in Gassol village of the state.

Mr Anthony Jellason, the Taraba Commissioner for Agriculture and Natural Resources, made the plan known in an interview with newsmen in Jalingo on Tuesday.

Jellason said the agreement would serve as an instrument that would enable each party “to swing into action” to ensure that the project, which would cover about 30,000 hectares, was leased to the investor to cultivate rice.

The commissioner explained that by the agreement, the Federal Government would encourage the Taraba Government and the investor to enter into a partnership.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending