Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

 

Executive Secretary of the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC), Dr.Ahmed Modibbo Mohammed has said that there had been an increase in enrolement of students    into public schools, as a result of mass mobilisation, publicity and advocacy drives embarked upon by the commission.

Mohammed disclosed this at the ground breaking ceremony for Korea International Corporation Agency (KOICA)’s support, with the construction of elementary schools in Adamawa /Gombe State.

He said the collaboration with partners such as KOICA was one of the activities undertaken by the commission to develop child –friendly learning environment and create new value for Nigerian’s educational system.

 

 

Benue

 

Benue State Governor, Gabriel Suswam had said that the governor’s forum had no hand in the removal of the former National Chairman of the People Democratic Part ( PDP), Dr. Okwesilieze Nwodo.

Suswan said contrary to insinuations, Nwodo was consumed by the crisis between him and his state governor, Sullivan Chime.

Though Suswan told reporters in Makurdi, Benue State, that governors played no role in the fall of Nwodo, he however, noted that many party men and women were not happy that Nwodo attempted to disobey the Enugu State court order.

Suswan said “ I don’t think there was any plot by governors against the former national chairman.  He was involved in a crisis with his home governor and efforts were made to resolve it.  Few of us intervened on different occasions and wanted to reconcile them but that was not to be and what happened happened”.

 

 

Borno

 

The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Hafiz Ringim had described the Boko Haram crisis in Borno and Bauchi States as posing a serious challenge to the police and other security agencies.

Ringim, who stated this Wednesday while addressing senior police officers at a conference in Maiduguri pledged that the police would not leave any stone unturned in tackling the crisis and  ensuring that it was ended.

While urging the police officers to stay away from the political/social crisis in the areas, he stressed the need for them to brace up and find solution to this and other crisis in the country.

Ringim assured that normalcy would soon return to the troubled states, revealing that the conference was called to brainstorm on the security situation affecting the states.

 

FCT

 

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Administration has appointed Frontier Tek Solutions to coordinate and automate the collection of revenue for some of its agencies.

The vice chairman of the firm, Babajide Oluwasanmi, said the ICT firm was developing Electronic Bill Presentment and Payment (EBPP) where both government agencies and banks will be integrated to provide real time information on accounts and balances.

Oluwasanmi said that two weeks from now, customers of AGIS, AEPB and other similar agencies in the FCT can walk into the hall of its banking partners such as First Bank, GT Bank and Unity Bank where such banks can pull the customer’s bill and process payment.

 

Niger

The Federal Government has concluded plans for extension of classes to hold in private and public schools to make up for the two week’s closure of schools for the on-going nationwide voter registration.

The Minister of State for Education, Mr Kenneth Gbagi announced this Tuesday in Minna shortly after his visit to the National Examinations Council (NECO) office.

Gbagi blamed the mass failure recorded in the past decade in the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations (SSCE) on the laxity of school teachers in discharging their primary responsibility of teaching and preparing students for examinations.

He stated that the criticisms against the government over the mass failure was a mistake maintaining that teachers were the main cause of the failure.

 

 

Kaduna

 

All is now set for the 32nd Kaduna International Trade Fair scheduled to hold between February 25 and March 6, as companies from eight countries across the world have indicated their interest to participate.

The companies are China, Egypt, Iran, Pakistan, Indonesia, Thailand, India and Niger.

The first Deputy President of the Kaduna Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (KADCCIMA), Hon. Abdullahi Sani made the disclosure during an interactive session with journalists in Kaduna.

Sani, who doubles as the chairman of the main organising committee of the event said the theme of this year’s trade fair is ‘National Energy: Road Map for Nigeria’s Growth and Development’, adding that it was chosen because of the crucial nature of energy to the economy.

 

Kano

 

To assist  the physically challenged, the United States Government through its agency for International Development (USAID), has rehabilitated and handed over seven buildings which cost over 100,000 US Dollar (N15 million) to  the management of Tundun Maliki Special Education School in Kano.

The agency also donated N5,000 worth of books to its pupils.

Unveiling the facilities in Kano recently,  the Kano State Governor, Ibrahim Shekarau said the donation were made following the special interest the state had on the school.

Represented by the Commissioner for Education, Alhaji Musa Salihu, Shekarau commended  the US government for the gesture and urged the students to make good use of the books in order to be better informed in their academic pursuits.

Lagos

 

The Lagos State House of Assembly has threatened to close down all the satellite campuses being run by state-owned tertiary institutions in the state if they fail to meet the required standard.

Deputy Speaker, Bola Badmus-Olujobi issued the threat yesterday when the seven man ad-hoc committee set up by the House to look into why some courses at the Lagos State University (LASU) and other institution were disaccreditated.

 

Ondo

Ondo State Governor, Olusegun Mimiko had warned Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDA’s) in the State to desist from executing projects which have no direct impact on the masses.

Mimiko gave the warning Wednesday at the opening ceremony of a workshop on the 2011 budget implementation organised by the Ministry of Economic Planning and Budget for members of the state executive council and top MDA officials of the Nigeria Institute for Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA) in Ondo.

Mimiko stressed the need for strict adherence and speedy implementation of capital projects in the state pointing out that, that would serve as an express means of gaining the people’s trust in governance.

He said “we cannot but maintain transparency in our dealings to ensure that programmes and projects for which money is appropriated and released are properly executed.

 

Osun

As part of its six-point agenda, the Osun State Government has began the process of recruiting 20,000 youths under the State Youth Empowerment Scheme (OYES).

The training of trainers of the trainers expected to be engaged in the programme commenced yesterday with 31 lead trainers and 93 supporting officers.

No fewer than 170,000 unemployed youths have applied for the scheme.

The Assistant Director (Community), Bureau of Communication and Strategy, Office of the Governor,  Mr Olatunbosun Oyintiloye, said merit would be the criterion used to select those to be employed.

Flagging off the progrmame, Oyintiloye stated that state officials have been visiting farm settlements located in various locations within the state pointing out that the visitation would aid them get first hand information and collate other data to form imput into the job creation agricultural scheme.

 

Oyo

 

Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company (SNEPCO) Limited has donated a multi-million naira Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Centre to Government College, Ibadan (GCI)

The oil giant which is a  concessionarie to the Nigerian (NNPC) on oil mining and oil prospecting licences, delivered the modern ICT centre to the principal, teachers and pupils of the famous school in Ibadan last Friday. 

At the handover ceremony, the company’s  Business Relations Manager, Mr Chidi Chukwueke, said the centre was an NNPC and SNEPCO’s support for initiatives to improve the education  sector in Oyo State.

 

 

Plateau

The Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP) yesterday condemned calls for a state of emergency in Plateau State following the spate of violence.

CNPP warned against the use of any wrong approach in resolving the crisis.

The coalition maintained that calls for the resignation of Governor Jonah Jang were not the solution, adding that imposing a state of emergency would only compound the problem in the state capital.

The party’s Secretary-General, Chief Willy Ezugwu said new approaches to end the carnage in Jos should be explored such as probing the activities of security operative.

 

Zamfara

A Federal High Court Tuesday, in Gusau adjoined hearing of the All Nigeria s Peoples Party (ANPP) case against 22 members of Zamfara House of Assembly, who defected to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) till February 21.

The lawmakers, who were elected on the platform of the ANPP in July 2010, defected to PDP to support Governor Mahmud Shinkafi, who had earlier defected to the ruling party.

The ANPP was challenging their action in a suit requesting the court to declare the 22 seats vacant and order the INEC to conduct a fresh election.

Justice Zainab Abubakar had earlier fixed February 1 for ruling on the ANPP application but later adjourned the case to February 21, for the counsel to clarify some issues about the substantive suit.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending