Connect with us

Niger Delta

AELN Sensitises Students On Environment …Promises Them Scholarships

Published

on

The Association of Environmental Lawyers of Nigeria (AELN), has taken its awareness campaign to secondary schools in Rivers State, with a firm promise to offer scholarships to students, who successfully gain admission to study Environmental Law and Environmental Management in any of the country’s universities, as a way of motivating them to champion the protection of the environment.
The association, which gave this indication during the awareness campaign at the University of Port Harcourt International Secondary School, Mile 3, Diobu, Port Harcourt on Wednesday, also hinted that it would sponsor essay competitions on the environment in schools in the state.
The campaign which also featured a question and answer session saw the participating students, drawn from SS1 and SS2 classes, enthusiastically answering questions from the lawyers, who had earlier grilled them with thought-provoking tutorials centred on the environment.
Essentially, all the students, who correctly answered the questions posed to them were rewarded with specially customised notbooks, as a mark of appreciation for their efforts.
The National President of the association and Associate Professor of Energy and Environmental Law, Dr Samuel Chisa Dike; Rivers State Chairman of the body, Barrister Promise Iwezor; and the National Public Relations Officer, Barrister (Mrs) Judith Adeniji, took turns to lecture the students on what constitutes the environment and highlighted the need to protect, preserve and keep it clean at all times.
Speaking with The Tide in an interview, the National President, Dr Samuel Dike said the association took the campaign to schools in order to catch them young and to create awareness and actually make the students Green Advocates and ambassadors of environmental protection and cleanliness, as well as inaugurate them as such.
According to him, “the environment is our future and our pride”.
Dike also said that the awareness campaign was equally a way by the body to uplift the society, as government alone cannot do everything, including protecting and cleaning the environment.
He said the association was poised to take the awareness campaign to other schools in the state, and expressed delight that the programme was received with excitement and enthusiasm by the students of the University of Port Harcourt International Secondary School, noting that it was basically “to make them conscious of what we are doing and also make people know that there is need to protect and keep the environment clean.”
On her part, the National Public Relations Officer, Barrister (Mrs) Judith Adeniji hinted that she had taught the students the dangers of oceanic pollution, and stressed the need for young people to be inculcated the habit of not dumping wastes into drainages.
The Rivers State Chairman of the association, Barrister Promise Iwezor explained that the awareness campaign is taken to schools in order to catch them young before they actually get out of hand and control, adding that going by the performance of the students in the school visited, the objective of the programme had been achieved.
Also speaking in an interview, the Principal of University of Port Harcourt International Secondary School, Mrs Ngozi Emechala described the programme as great, saying, “We are now aware of our environment and the students are now aware of how to keep the environment clean and preserve animals like rodents instead of killing them”.
Emechala, who was visibly elated, said she had before now not heard of environmental lawyers but had been so captivated by the programme that she would like one of her children to be an Environmental Lawyer. She said the secret behind the outstanding performance of her students during the programme was the sheer fact that the school has qualified teachers.

By: Donatus Ebi

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending