Nation
THE STATES
Adamawa
The Management of Adamawa Polytechnic,Yola, has confirmed the accreditation and approval of seven new courses in the institute by the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE).
Rector of the Institution Prof. Bobboi Umar told newsmen in Yola that the development was first of its kind in the history of the institution.
Umar said, “ the institution is able to record a remarkable achievement where about seven new courses were accredited by the NBTE.”
He explained that, the accredited programmes include mass communication, social development, business administration and four engineering courses.
Benue
The Business Manager of PHCN in Makurdi, Benue, Mr John Emeruwa, has attributed the current power outage in Makurdi to ongoing power lines upgrade in the state.
Emeruwa disclosed this to newsmen in Makurdi.
Emeruwa said the 132 KV lines that linked Benue with Enugu were no longer adequate for the increasing number of customers and the demand for power supply in the area.
He said the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) had been mandated to improve power supply to Benue by evacuating more power from the national grade to Benue.
Borno
Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno has re-assured the people that the relationship between him and his deputy, Alhaji Zanna Mustapha, was “cordial and progressive”.
Shettima was reacting to speculations of a rift between him and his deputy as well as his predecessor, Alhaji Ali Modu Sheriff, in Maiduguri.
Reports also indicated that the governor was in the process of carrying out a cabinet reshuffle following a rift between him, his deputy and Sheriff.
But Shettima said while receiving a delegation of the Southern Borno ANPP Forum in Maiduguri that the reports were unfounded.
FCT
Assistant Director of Administration, Cyprian Ekwensi Centre for Arts and Culture, Mr Adamu Bigari, Abuja, has decried the neglect of indigenous languages in the country.
Bigari told newsmen that foreign language was eroding the country’s indigenous languages.
He said as the world marked the International Day for Mother Tongue, there was a need to promote indigenous languages to sustain “our culture”.
Bigari blamed the decline in the use of mother tongue on both parents and policy makers, adding that more attention was paid to foreign languages to the detriment of local ones.
Gombe
The Federal Government is to execute N2 billion worth of projects at the Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State.
The Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Kabir Farouk, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen at Kashere, Akko Local Government Area of Gombe State recently.
Farouk said that the amount was the grant approved by the Federal Government last year to each of the nine universities to develop their main campuses.
According to him, the projects comprised the Senate building, Library, Information, Communication and Technology centre and two faculty buildings, which locations have been decided based on the university’s master plan.
Jigawa
The Federal Government has distributed 7,200 tonnes of fertiliser to Jigawa dry season farmers to boost rice production in the state, according to the Rice Farmers Association of Nigeria (RIFAN).
The Chairman of the association, Malam Adamu Haruna, made this known in an interview with newsmen in Hadejia recently.
Haruna said that each member of the association received three bags of the commodity at the rate of N2,750 per bag as against N5,000 per bag in the open market.
He said that the Federal Government had given 50 per cent subsidy, while farmers paid the remaining 50 per cent.
He said that the brand of the assorted fertiliser distributed to the farmers included
Kaduna
The Zaria water project has reached 78 per cent completion and will be completed and commissioned by 2013, the Kaduna State Commissioner for Water Resources, Mr Sunday Marshall, has said.
Marshall, who made this known in an interview with newsmen in Kaduna, said that the state government had spent N14.7 billion so far on the project.
He said that the project was awarded at the cost of N15.7 billion in January 2009 and that the cost had been reviewed to N24.6 billion.
In a separate interview, the Project Manager, Mr Yusuf Kobo, told newsmen that the water supply project was being implemented in collaboration with the Federal Government
Kobo said that when completed, the project would provide potable water to 2.2 million people in 23 communities across eight local government areas of the state.
Katsina
The District Head of Kafur in Katsina State, Alhaji Rabe Abdullahi, has called for increased public awareness to boost participation in environmental sanitation activities.
Rabe, who is also the Dangaladiman Katsina, made the call at the inauguration of local government sanitation committee members saddled with the task of ensuring proper conduct of the re-introduced monthly sanitation exercise in the state.
Represented by his son, Alhaji Abdulrahman Rabe, the traditional ruler said public awareness on the importance of the exercise could be achieved through the media and community town criers.
He gave an assurance of the traditional rulers’ support for the success of the exercise and pledged to mobilise wards and community leaders to achieve the goal.
Lagos
The police in Lagos have arraigned two men, who allegedly defrauded a woman of N290,000, and told her that she would die if she disclosed the crime.
Ugiagbe Osamuyimin, 48, and Bernard Obukene, 34, appeared before a Tinubu Magistrates’ Court on a two-count charge of conspiracy and fraud.
They allegedly defrauded a nursing mother, Mrs Kehinde Agbana, at 1:00 p.m.on February 7, at the Lekki Beach area of Lagos State.
Osamuyimin, who claimed to be a herbalist, resides at the Lekki Beach, while Obukene, who claims to be a builder, resides on Badore Kekere St., Ajah, Lagos.
The prosecutor, ASP Augustine Orji said: “They led their victim into believing that they would supply her with clothes, but ended up collecting her phone and ATM card and withdrawing the above mentioned amount from her bank account.Ogun
Ogun
Wife of the late sage, Obafemi Awolowo, Mrs HID Awolowo,Mrs HID Awolowo, has appealed to the people of South-West to be united ahead of 2015 elections.
Awolowo made the appeal during her welcome address at the Yoruba Unity Forum (YUF) meeting held at Awolowo residence in Ikenne-Remo,Ogun.
She said that there was need for Yorubas to come together as one before 2015 so as to know the direction to go.
“Time is now for the Yoruba nation to come together as one for us to take our rightful place in the country.
Awolowo also urged the Yorubas to be patient with one other, adding that Yoruba nation must rise again.
She stressed that the YUF committee was working toward uniting the Yorubas before 2015.
Plateau
The Plateau Government has announced that it had approved the establishment of an Information Communication Technology Agency to boost computer literacy.
“The EXCO has approved the formation of the agency with desk offices in all Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), Mr Abraham Yiljap, the Information and Communication Commissioner, told newsmen in Jos.
“We want to be sure that assets acquired by various administrations are documented electronically for easy assessment.
“Government wants a proper inventory of its assets; we don’t want a situation where successive governments will not know what belongs to government and how to access it.’’
Zamfara
The Federal Government has released N158.3 million for the promotion of safe mining practice among artisanal miners in Zamfara State, according to an official.
The Director, Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining, Federal Ministry of Mines and Steel Development, Mr Obiora Azubuike, announced this in Gusua at a news briefing.
Azubuike said money was part of the N850 million released by the Federal Government to control lead poisoning in mining communities in the state.
He said that the government had also mapped out a programme to control lead poisoning in Zamfara.
He said the programme included environmental remediation of Bagega village, treatment of victims of lead poisoning and promotion of safe mining practice.
Azubuike, who is also the Chairman, Technical Committee on the Promotion of Safe Mining, said that the programme would involve the formalisation of mining activities across the state.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News5 hours agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
News5 hours agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News5 hours agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News5 hours agoOsun Guber: Probe Vote-Buying, Violence, SERAP Urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC
-
News5 hours ago2027: Adeleke Reaffirms Support For Tinubu, Calls Him Osun Son
-
Maritime3 hours agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
-
News5 hours agoNiMet predicts three-day cloudy, thundery weather
-
News5 hours agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
