Nation
THE STATES
FCT
The Minister of State for Finance, Dr Yerima Ngama, has called on revenue collectors to shift emphasis from revenue sharing to growing the revenue.
Ngama, who made this call at a National Workshop on Non-Oil Sector of the Economy in Abuja, urged the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC), not to relent in promoting the benefits of diversifying the nation’s revenue sources through agriculture, solid minerals and tourism.
He urged the revenue collection agencies to be more open to the public and ensure that information was not restricted to relevant government agencies.
“Increased information sharing among government revenue collection agencies would ensure more transparency and accountability,’’ he said.
Gombe
A 32-year-old man, Malam Maikudi Abdullahi of Dawaki quarters, Gombe, was last Wednesday sentenced to six months imprisonment for belonging to a gang of thieves. Abdullahi was sentenced Wednesday after he pleaded guilty for the offence.
The prosecutor, Mr Idi Ibrahim, said the First Information Report, showed the convict was arrested at Bolari Area near Malam Usman lodge but could not give a satisfactory account of himself.
Ibrahim said the convict committed an offence contrary to Section 306 of the Penal Code. He said that since the convict pleaded guilty, the court should invoke Section 157 for summary trial.
Alhaji Bello Sheriff, the Chief Magistrate, sentenced the convict to six months imprisonment with an option to pay N1, 500 fine.
Jigawa
The Jigawa State Police Command has arrested nine persons in possession of dried leaves suspected to be Indian hemp, intoxicants and some hard drugs.
The Commissioner of Police, Mr Kayode Theophilus, told newsmen in Dutse, that the suspects were arrested during a raid at various black spots and criminals’ hideout in Gumel Local Government Area of the state.
He said during the operation, about 535 parcels and 1,200 wraps of Indian hemp, packets of suck-and-die solution, five knives and 15 sachets of diazepam tablets were recovered from them.
The commissioner pledged that the command would continue to raid such spots to rid the state of criminals.
Kano
The Police Command in Kano State, has declared wanted two identified major suspects in a robbery incident at the popular WAPA Bureau de Change.
This is contained in a statement issued in Kano by the command’s Public Relations Officer, Asp. Magaji Majiya.
The statement noted that “the command, in its effort to arrest the culprits, is working closely on the clues at the scene of the robbery. So far, two identified major suspects have been declared wanted.”
Katsina
The Katsina State Agricultural and Rural Development Authority (KTARDA), last Thurday said it has distributed high yielding groundnut seeds to farmers, in a bid to revive groundnut production in the country.
The Acting Director, Agricultural Services, Alhaji Mansur Altine, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Katsina.
He said the seeds mature early and have high oil content.
The director said the farmers were selected from Batsari, Dutsinma, Safana and Zango Local Governments areas.
Kogi
The Deputy Governor of Kogi State, Mr Yomi Awoniyi, has said that the state’s flood victims are desperate to go back to their homes to continue their businesses.
Awoniyi, made this known when he received the Head, African Zone of the Red Cross, Mr Alhassan Sengo, in his office in Lokoja.
Kwara
The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) last Wednesday restated its determination to improve safety consciousness among Nigerians.
Mr Kehinde Adeleye, the Zonal Commanding Officer, Zone 8, comprising Kwara, Ekiti and Kogi, said this in Ilorin at the final of FRSC quiz competition for primary and secondary schools.
He said that road safety had been included in the syllabuses of primary and secondary schools in order to ensure safety consciousness.
“The objective of the competition is to prepare future generation on road safety consciousness.
Lagos
The families of the June 3 Dana Airline plane crash victims are yet to collect the remaining 70 per cent compensation from the airline’s insurance company.
The Director-General, Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Dr Harold Demuren, said this in an interview with journalists at the NCAA annex, Ikeja, Lagos.
He said: “this is due to the non-issuance of Letters of Administration to them by the probate registry arm of the Lagos High Court which would be presented to the Lloyds of London.’’
The NCAA boss spoke with journalists after a meeting with families of the victims and representatives of Dana Airline.
Ondo
The Ondo State House of Assembly last Wednesday ordered the recall of the suspended chairmen of nine of the 18 local government councils in the state, barely a week after their suspension.
The affected councils included Akure North, Ose, Owo, Ifedore, Idanre, Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo, Ilaje, Ese-Odo and Akoko North East.
The suspension of the chairmen, according to the Speaker of the Assembly, Mr Samuel Adesina, was due to their failure to comply with a directive on the audit of their workers for submission to the house.
However, at the sitting of the house on Wednesday, the Majority Leader, Mr Dayo Akinsoyinu, said the caretaker chairmen had complied with the assembly’s instruction.
Osun
Osun State House of Assembly lastWednesday rejected Gov. Rauf Aregbesola’s nominee for the post of Chief Judge of the state.
The lawmakers attributed their rejection of Justice Adepele Ojo’s nomination to the House rule and constitutional provision that bars the parliament from acting on a matter pending in court.
During the deliberation on the matter, the Deputy Speaker, Mr Adegboye Akintunde, said there was a pending case involving the nominee in court.
Plateau
Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State, has called on the United Nations and European Union (EU) to introduce policies and programmes that would protect women and children from conflicts and violence.
Jang made the call in Jos when the UN and ECOWAS Women representative in Nigeria, Mrs. Grace Ongile, paid him a courtesy call.
“Women and children across the globe are always the ones that bear the brunt whenever there is a conflict or violence.
“Such crises or violence exposes them to various vices as their boys are usually forced into child-soldiering, while the girls are into immoral acts.
Sokoto
The National President of Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees (NULGE), Alhaji Ibrahim Khaleel, in Sokoto last Wednesday called for the scrapping of states / local governments joint accounts.
Khaleel, who made the call at a news conference on the review of the 1999 Constitution, suggested that Section 162 of the constitution be amended.
Khaleel said the states tampered with the accounts “to the extent that only between 23-25 per cent of statutory allocation from the Federation Account eventually gets to the local government due to illegal and sundry deductions.
He said the scrapping of the account would guarantee fiscal jurisdiction through direct remittance of local government allocations from Federation Account to the councils with necessary checks to guard against the mismanagement of public funds.
Zamfara
Zamfara State Governor, Abdulaziz Yari, said lack of pragmatic leadership was responsible for the dwindling performance of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) since the 1999 general elections.
Yari, elected under the ANPP, made the remark in Gusau last Thursday when he received a committee set up by the Board of Trustees to determine the party’s support base nationwide.
“Since the beginning of this democratic dispensation in 1999, only the ruling PDP and our party, ANPP have national spread and acceptability, but because of leadership problem, the party is dwindling by the day.“
The governor said considerable number of “high braw personalities” within the ruling PDP cross carpeted from the ANPP, adding that it was an indication that something was wrong with the past leadership.
Nation
RSG Hosts 2026 President’s Inter-SS Debate as Eight States Vie for National Crown
Eight states across Nigeria have converged in Port Harcourt for the 2026 edition of the President’s Inter-Senior Secondary Schools Debate Championship, hosted by Rivers State Government.
The three_days championship, themed “27th Democracy & 3rd Year Anniversary of President Ahmed Tinubu Inter-Senior Schools Debate Championship,” opened on Monday at Government Girls Secondary School, Rumueme, Port Harcourt.
The participating states are Ebonyi, Abia, Delta, Sokoto, Yobe, Kwara, Enugu, and host state Rivers. Each state is represented by its top debaters selected through state-level contests.
Declaring the event open, the Rivers State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, said the championship goes beyond winning trophies. He described it as a national investment in the next generation of leaders.
“This platform is for nurturing young minds,” Nwagor said. “It builds critical thinking, research skills, confidence, effective communication, and the ability to engage constructively with views different from one’s own. These are the very qualities upon which responsible leadership and nation-building are founded.”
The Commissioner commended the organizers, participating schools, teachers, and coordinators for their commitment to promoting intellectual excellence among Nigerian youths.
He urged the students to compete with confidence, discipline, and respect. “Debate is not merely about winning an argument,” he noted. “It is about listening carefully, reasoning with clarity, presenting your evidence with honesty, and having the grace to learn from others. Let the quality of your ideas and the strength of your character define your participation here.”
Nwagor assured the participants that Rivers State is proud to play its part in raising a generation that will bring bold and innovative solutions to the country’s challenges. He wished all teams a rewarding, memorable, and successful championship.
Earlier in his welcome address, the National Coordinator of the President’s Schools Debate Nigeria, PSDN, Elder Dare Oritu, called the event a “gathering of minds” drawn from different parts of the country.
According to Oritu, debate is about three things. “It is about _unity_. It brings us together from different schools and backgrounds to learn from one another. It is about _broadening the mind_. It teaches you to think deeply, to listen well, to ask ‘why,’ and to defend your ideas with facts and respect. It is about _preparing you for leadership_. The problem-solvers and decision-makers of tomorrow are in this hall today.”
He reminded the students that debate is not a contest of aggression. “Debate is _not a fight_. We challenge ideas, not people. It is _not about who is better_. And it is _not do-or-die_. We win with grace, and we learn with humility,” Oritu said.
The PSDN National Coordinator encouraged all participants to compete with integrity, speak with clarity, and leave wiser than they came. He wished them the very best throughout the competition.
Highlights of the opening ceremony included the official draw for debate matches, administered by PSDN officials. The pairings will determine which states face each other in the preliminary rounds as the battle for the 2026 national title begins.
Amadi Akujobi
Nation
NIIT Port Harcourt Graduates 61 Cybersecurity Students, Enrols 48 New Intakes
The National Institute of Information Technology (NIIT), Port Harcourt, has graduated 61 students from its six-month Cybersecurity training programme. The institute also inducted 48 new students for the new academic session during a brief ceremony held at its Port Harcourt centre on Monday.
Centre Manager of NIIT Port Harcourt, Mr. Precious Ogulu Tom, said the institute is always excited to induct students into cybersecurity because it is one of its flagship courses with strong international recognition. He noted that the centre’s performance has earned it high ratings from ICSS, adding that in the past academic year, more than 20 students passed ICSS certification exams.
According to him, beyond the NIIT certificate, which is globally recognized, students also proceed to ICSS and complete their courses without difficulty. He credited the faculty for maintaining standards and said NIIT remains the leading ICT training institute in Port Harcourt and Rivers State.
Tom said NIIT has a presence in all major cities in Nigeria and its headquarters in India, with training covering all areas of ICT. He added that every year the institute produces at least one first-class graduate in Software Engineering from partner universities such as Middlesex University and the University of Sunderland. He described the institute’s approach as practical and hands-on.
On fees, he addressed comments about cost online, saying quality training requires investment. “Does anything good come easy? Nothing good comes easy,” he stated. He explained that students receive industry-standard books and globally recognized certificates, and invited parents and prospective students to register with NIIT for value-driven training.
Also speaking, Principal Instructor for Cybersecurity and Ethical Hacking, Mr. Nyekwere TamunoTonye, said the cohort began in February with high expectations and completed the programme in six months. He said one notable achievement was that the class remained largely intact despite challenges, including system breakdowns and family issues. “At the end of this six months, we never lost anybody. That is the greatest. So, we give God the glory,” he said.
Nyekwere said students were exposed to multiple domains in cybersecurity and received strong practical training. He told the graduands that their real learning starts now and urged them not to relent. “This is no longer the time you go back to play,” he added.
He emphasized that the institute equipped them not only with technical and practical skills but also with character and a mindset for continuous learning. He noted that no institution, including Harvard or Yale, can teach everything, but good schools set the path, which NIIT has done.
He charged them to deploy their skills positively. “I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the EFCC tomorrow. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested by the police. I don’t want to see any of you being arrested,” he said.
Senior IT Counselor and Head of Sales and Marketing, Mrs. Igbigbari Vincent-Eretoru, congratulated the graduands for completing the programme and defending their presentations according to NIIT academic standards. She said certificates are awarded in character and learning, and urged them to be good ambassadors of NIIT Port Harcourt by applying what they learned.
Responding on behalf of the graduates, Class Section Head Tamunotonyesia Epelle said many came in with questions and uncertainty about specializations but left with clarity, confidence, and technical competence gained through practical assignments, teamwork, and the instructor’s push to avoid mediocrity.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
-
News3 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Oil & Energy3 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
Maritime3 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
News3 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News3 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News3 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime3 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
