Featured
Oromoni: Autopsy Report Exonerates House Master, Others From Murder …‘Chemical Intoxication’, Cause Of Death -Pathologist
The autopsy report conducted on the corpse of late Sylvester Oromoni, alleged victim of bullying, at the Dowen College, Lagos, is out.
This is as Consultant Pathologist, Clement Vhriterhire, of Central Hospital, Warri, who conducted the autopsy on Sylvester Oromoni, who died on November 30 last year, has established that he died of “acute lung injury due to chemical intoxication in a background of blunt force trauma.”
The report, however, exonerated the school’s house master and other students arrested in connection with the alleged murder.
Consequently, the suspects, who have been in police custody at the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID), Yaba, for over three weeks, were released last Thursday, on bail.
It would be recalled that the deceased, who was a Junior Secondary School 2 student of the school and a boarder, was rushed to his parent’s home in Warri, Delta State, two months ago, owing to some injuries he sustained while playing football, according to the school.
But his parents faulted the school’s claim, disclosing rather, that their son revealed that the injuries were inflicted on him by some senior students who wanted to force him to join their cult group.
Late Sylvester, died few days before he would be 12 years old, from internal injuries which included kidney enlargement.
In the course of investigation into the alleged murder, the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Police Command, Hakeem Odumosu, revealed that the autopsy report released did not show that late Sylvester was murdered.
He was, however, quick to add that investigation was still ongoing, part of which was the toxicology test that needed to be conducted on the corpse.
Shedding more light on the investigation, Odumosu, said, “We are not at the peak yet. But we have done our investigation, and have sent the report to the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP) for legal advise on those arrested and DPP has replied.
“We have gone through the medical aspect which is the post mortem.
“Post mortem was carried out in Delta and Lagos states. The first one done in Delta State was only witnessed by parents of the deceased.
“But after I held a meeting with the parties concerned, at the instance and directive of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and my Inspector-General of Police, IGP Alkali Usman Baba, the second post mortem was carried out in Lagos.
“The corpse was brought from Delta State to Lagos, where the post mortem was carried out with all the parties involved, that is: parents of the deceased, parents of the students accused, the school authority and government. These were the four parties that witnessed the post mortem. And the result is out.
“The report of the post mortem did not bring out the issue of murder on anybody.
“Besides the result of the autopsy, the court order that we got has elapsed and we have released the house master and others on bail, because there was nothing that indicted them of murder.
“It is only a murder case that is not bailable. All other offences are bailable. They have been in custody for more than twenty days and that is infringing on their fundamental human rights. Since medical and legal reports have not indicted them so far, I think there is need to allow them have their freedom because bail is not the end of the case.
“Another forensic test known as toxicology, will be carried out on the corpse”, Odumosu said.
“By the way, the Toxicology test is to determine the concoction that was allegedly forced into the deceased mouth which peeled his lips”.
The test, according to Odumosu, would be conducted abroad.
He explained that “Toxicology test was being done in Nigeria before, precisely at the Lagos State medical facility in Lagos Island. But after the #EndSARS crisis, it is conducted outside the country.
“Until that one is effectively done, we won’t know the final report. But with the interim report, nothing showed murder”, Odumosu stated.
However, Consultant Pathologist, Clement Vhriterhire, of Central Hospital, Warri, who conducted the autopsy on Sylvester Oromoni, a student of Dowen College, Lekki, Lagos, who died on November 30 last year, has established that he died of “acute lung injury due to chemical intoxication in a background of blunt force trauma.”
This report came just as Oromoni’s family kicked against the decision of the Lagos Police to release the housemaster and other staff of the college.
The 12-year-old boy was alleged to have been attacked for refusing to join a cult group. Oromoni’s father had alleged that his child was beaten and fed a liquid chemical. But Dowen College had dismissed the claim, saying the boy sustained injuries while playing football with his colleagues.
Lagos Police Commissioner, Hakeem Odumosu, had ordered a probe while Dowen College was sealed off. Odumosu, briefing newsmen on Friday, said the schoolhouse masters involved in the case had been released since the court order to remand them had expired.
He also said that the police, which had concluded its investigations, had forwarded its report to the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP), and had received a response.
According to Odumosu, “The corpse was brought from Delta State to Lagos. The post-mortem was carried out in Lagos. The result is out, as of now, it has not brought out the issue of murder on anybody. Toxicology is still to be carried out, which is the final one. The interim one has not. Based on that, the court order we got has elapsed and we have released the housemaster and others on bail as of yesterday because they have not been indicted of murder. It is only murder cases that are not subject to bail. “Since the medical report has not indicted them so far, I think there is a need for them to have their freedom because bail is not the end of the case.
The development comes after the court had granted bail to five students charged with the alleged murder of Oromoni.
A member of the bereaved family, Perry Oromoni, who spoke to newsmen, kicked against the outcome of the police probe, accusing the Lagos Police Command and the state government of hoarding the second autopsy result of the corpse.
He accused the Lagos State Government of deciding to go in favour of Dowen College, Lagos and the alleged murderers involved.
“The Oromoni family has been quiet because we’ve been patiently waiting for the Lagos State Government to conclude their autopsy and also see how swift they are in carrying our justice for Sylvester,” he lamented.
Featured
Fubara Dissolves Rivers Executive Council
Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminialayi Fubara, has dissolved the State Executive Council.
The governor announced the cabinet dissolution yesterday in a statement titled ‘Government Special Announcement’, signed by his new Chief Press Secretary, Onwuka Nzeshi.
Governor Fubara directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.
He thanked the outgoing members of the State Executive Council for their service and wished them the best in their future endeavours.
The three-paragraph special announcement read, “His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, GSSRS, Governor of Rivers State, has dissolved the State Executive Council.
“His Excellency, the Governor, has therefore directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.
“His Excellency further expresses his deepest appreciation to the outgoing members of the Executive Council wishing them the best in their future endeavours.”
Featured
INEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday told the National Assembly that it requires N873.78bn to conduct the 2027 general elections, even as it seeks N171bn to fund its operations in the 2026 fiscal year.
INEC Chairman, Prof Joash Amupitan, made the disclosure while presenting the commission’s 2026 budget proposal and the projected cost for the 2027 general elections before the National Assembly Joint Committee on Electoral Matters in Abuja.
According to Amupitan, the N873.78bn election budget covers the full conduct of national polls in 2027.
An additional N171bn is needed to support INEC’s routine activities in 2026, including bye-elections and off-season elections, the commission stated.
The INEC boss said the proposed election budget does not include a fresh request from the National Youth Service Corps seeking increased allowances for corps members engaged as ad-hoc staff during elections.
He explained that, although the details of specific line items were not exhaustively presented, the almost N1tn election budget is structured across five major components.
“N379.75bn is for operational costs, N92.32bn for administrative costs, N209.21bn for technological costs, N154.91bn for election capital costs and N42.61bn for miscellaneous expenses,” Amupitan said.
The INEC chief noted that the budget was prepared “in line with Section 3(3) of the Electoral Act 2022, which mandates the Commission to prepare its election budget at least one year before the general election.”
On the 2026 fiscal year, Amupitan disclosed that the Ministry of Finance provided an envelope of N140bn, stressing, however, that “INEC is proposing a total expenditure of N171bn.”
The breakdown includes N109bn for personnel costs, N18.7bn for overheads, N42.63bn for election-related activities and N1.4bn for capital expenditure.
He argued that the envelope budgeting system is not suitable for the Commission’s operations, noting that INEC’s activities often require urgent and flexible funding.
Amupitan also identified the lack of a dedicated communications network as a major operational challenge, adding that if the commission develops its own network infrastructure, Nigerians would be in a better position to hold it accountable for any technical glitches.
Speaking at the session, Senator Adams Oshiomhole (APC, Edo North) said external agencies should not dictate the budgeting framework for INEC, given the unique and sensitive nature of its mandate.
He advocated that the envelope budgeting model should be set aside.
He urged the National Assembly to work with INEC’s financial proposal to avoid future instances of possible underfunding.
In the same vein, a member of the House of Representatives from Edo State, Billy Osawaru, called for INEC’s budget to be placed on first-line charge as provided in the Constitution, with funds released in full and on time to enable the Commission to plan early enough for the 2027 general election.
The Joint Committee approved a motion recommending the one-time release of the Commission’s annual budget.
The committee also said it would consider the NYSC’s request for about N32bn to increase allowances for corps members to N125,000 each when engaged for election duties.
The Chairman of the Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Simon Along, assured that the National Assembly would work closely with the Commission to ensure it receives the necessary support for the successful conduct of the 2027 general elections.
Similarly, the Chairman of the House Committee on Electoral Matters, Bayo Balogun, also pledged legislative support, warning INEC to be careful about promises it might be unable to keep.
He recalled that during the 2023 general election, INEC made strong assurances about uploading results to the INEC Result Viewing portal, creating the impression that results could be monitored in real time.
“iREV was not even in the Electoral Act; it was only in INEC regulations. So, be careful how you make promises,” Balogun warned.
The N873.78bn proposed by INEC for next year’s general election is a significant increase from the N313.4bn released to the Commission by the Federal Government for the conduct of the 2023 general election.
Featured
Tinubu Mourns Literary Icon, Biodun Jeyifo
President Bola Tinubu yesterday expressed grief over the death of a former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities and one of Africa’s foremost literary scholars, Professor Emeritus Biodun Jeyifo.
Jeyifo passed away on Wednesday, drawing tributes from across Nigeria and the global academic community.
In a condolence message to the family, friends, and associates of the late scholar, Tinubu in a statement by his spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, described Jeyifo as a towering intellectual whose contributions to African literature, postcolonial studies, and cultural theory left an enduring legacy.
He noted that the late professor would be sorely missed for his incisive criticism and masterful interpretations of the works of Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.
The President also recalled Jeyifo’s leadership of ASUU, praising the temperance, foresight, and wisdom he brought to the union over the years.
Tinubu said Jeyifo played a key role in shaping negotiation frameworks with the government aimed at improving working conditions for university staff and enhancing the learning environment in Nigerian universities.
According to the President, Professor Jeyifo’s longstanding advocacy for academic freedom and social justice will continue to inspire generations.
He added that the late scholar’s influence extended beyond academia into political and cultural journalism, where he served as a mentor to numerous scholars, writers, and activists.
Tinubu condoled with ASUU, the Nigerian Academy of Letters, the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism, the University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, Oberlin University, Cornell University, and Harvard University—institutions where Jeyifo studied, taught, or made significant scholarly contributions.
“Nigeria and the global academic community have lost a towering figure and outstanding global citizen,” the President said.
“Professor Biodun Jeyifo was an intellectual giant who dedicated his entire life to knowledge production and the promotion of human dignity. I share a strong personal relationship with him. His contributions to literary and cultural advancement and to society at large will be missed.”
Jeyifo was widely regarded as one of Africa’s most influential literary critics and public intellectuals. Among several honours, he received the prestigious W.E.B. Du Bois Medal in 2019.
-
Sports3 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Environment3 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics3 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Politics3 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics3 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics3 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports2 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
