Niger Delta
C’River Urges Residents To Shun Planned Protest
The Cross River State Government has urged residents of the State not to participate in the planned August 1 nationwide protest.
The State’s Commissioner for Information, Dr. Erasmus Ekpang, who made the call in a statement in Calabar, said although Nigerians were passing through a difficult moment, government at all levels was showing enormous commitment to the wellbeing of the citizenry.
He said it was not in the interest of the nation to resort to protest, saying, “remember how the EndSARS protest led to needless destructions.
“The state government will not hesitate to take decisive actions against anyone or group who threatens the prevailing peace in the State’.
The commissioner said the government had implemented several intervention programmes as part of its commitment to the wellbeing of the people.
He stated that about 117, 802 poor and vulnerable households had benefited from the series of interventions by the government.
“We are not unaware of the inflation and the high cost of goods and services. We are aware of these challenges and their effects on the people.
“The Senator Bassey Otu-led government has initiated programmes aimed at improving the quality of life in the State”, he said.
Ekpang noted that under the Cash Transfer programme, the State Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs had disbursed about N1.3 billion to beneficiaries across the State.
“Under the Small and Medium Enterprises, NG-CARES had disbursed grants ranging between N100,000 and N400,000 to 2,136 enterprises in the State”, he said.
The commissioner further said inputs had been donated to 73,634 poultry, piggery, rice, aquaculture and cassava farmers among others, under the FADAMA programme.
“Under the recently launched Livelihood Grant Programme, about 4,000 poor and vulnerable individuals have received between N50,000 and N200,000 each while “20,898 poor and vulnerable youths were enrolled and paid sux months stipends amounting to N1.3 billion under the Labour Intensive Public Works programme”, he said.
According to him, about 100 canoes and fishing boats were built and distributed to youths in riverine communities.
Ekpang also said additionally, the Otu-led government had spent N440 million to register 16,301 residents of the state to sit for the West African School Certificate Examination.
“You can see that government is not resting in its oars, we have done all these to cushion the effects of the current economic challenges”, he said.
It would be recalled that there are reports of planned anti-government protest scheduled to hold between August 1 and 10 across the country.
Niger Delta
Oborevwori Launches Medical Outreach For Children With Special Needs
Niger Delta
UniCal Commits To Nursing Education Dev In C’River
Niger Delta
Agency Demolishes Illegal Roadside Structures In Delta N8 by … Clears Street Traders
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports1 day ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
