Connect with us

News

FRSC Flags Off 2023 Ember Months Road Safety Campaign In Rivers

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Rivers State Sector Command, has flagged off its 2023 ember months road safety campaign in Port Harcourt, promising to do everything possible within her disposal to eradicate or reduce road crashes to its barest minimum.
Addressing stakeholders while declaring the campaign open, Secretary to the State Governnment (SSG), Dr Tammy Danagogo, lauded the national leadership of the FRSC for enlisting competent officers to drive its mandate of ensuring safety on our roads.
The SSG said that from inception the Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, had demonstrated his commitment to enhance safety on our roads.
He described the theme of this year’s safety campaign, ‘Speed thrills, but kills: Drive responsibly and avoid over loading’ as apt, and urged the FRSC to sustain the tempo in keeping the roads safe for all road users.
The SSG suggested that more stringent measures should be adopted to deter road traffic offenders from further perpetrating their crimes.
These, Danagogo said, should include withdrawal of driver’s license to subjecting the offenders to psychiatric tests, especially those that drive against the traffic.
He used the opportunity to inform the public that the Rivers State Governnment was planning to set up an outfit to complement the duties of the FRSC in ensuring safety on the roads, stressing that safety on our roads is a collective responsibility of all.
Also speaking, the Commanding Officer, FRSC Zone 6, Port Harcourt, ACM Jonathan Owdade, said the zone had concluded arrangement to effectively enforce traffic laws during the ember months to check overloading, speeding, receiving/making calls while driving, one way driving, among others.
He pointed out that mobile courts would be handy to try offenders with appropriate sanctions meted out on them.
The Zonal Sector Commander said other Federal Government security agencies would also partner with the FRSC for maximum productivity during the period.
Owdade thanked the state governor for consolidating on the achievements of his predecessor in road construction, noting that it will aid the operations of the Corps.
Earlier in his speech, the Rivers State Sector Commander, Christopher Kuje, had lamented the attitude of road users in the state.
He said that in every six seconds, someone was being killed by road accident, adding that 1.2 million people die and 50 million injured yearly as a result of road traffic crashes globally.
Kuje said that there was no home that has not directly or indirectly suffered from effect of road crashes in the country.
He said Rivers State also had its own fair share of the ugly experience between January and September, 2023, with 53 crashes, leaving 23 persons dead and 120 injured.
According to Kuje, 52 out of the 53 vehicles involved in the road crashes are commercial and others private and government vehicles.
He attributed the causes of the crashes to overspeed, route violations, wrongful overtaking, alcohol/drug influence, among others.
Kuje said his command has adopted the following strategies to curb the trend: Creation of two additional units at Obio/Akpor and Omoku.
He promised that the FRSC in the state shall sustain its engagements with stakeholders and government to tame the menace.
He called on corporate bodies and public spirited individuals to partner with the FRSC to ensure safety on the roads.

Continue Reading

News

RSG Reaffirms Commitment To Quality Education 

Published

on

?The Rivers State Government has reaffirmed its commitment to quality education and human capital development.
Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, reaffirmed this at the 44th Convocation Ceremony of Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Rumuolumeni, in Port Harcourt, last Saturday.
Represented by his deputy, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, the governor described the convocation as a significant milestone in the life of the institution, noting that such ceremonies go beyond the conferment of degrees and awards.
?According to him, convocation ceremonies provide opportunities for reflection, celebration, and renewed commitment to the ideals of learning, leadership, service, and national development.
?Fubara congratulated the Governing Council, management, staff, graduating students, and supporters of the university for the successful hosting of the event.
He particularly commended the Acting Vice Chancellor, Prof Okechuku Onuchuku and management for sustaining academic excellence, discipline, and human capital development over the years.
He noted that the university has continued to distinguish itself as one of Nigeria’s leading institutions of higher learning, especially in teacher education, while also praising the visible transformation and improved image of the institution.
?Restating the importance of education to societal growth, Fubara insisted that education remains the bedrock of sustainable development and societal transformation.
?He stressed that his administration remains committed to policies and programmes that promote access to quality education, infrastructure development, research, innovation, and the welfare of staff and students across educational institutions in the State.
?The governor further urged universities to produce not only graduates but also innovators, responsible citizens, and future leaders capable of competing globally.
Addressing the graduating students, Fubara described their graduation as the completion of one phase of life and the beginning of another filled with opportunities and responsibilities, reminding them that their certificates symbolize hard work, sacrifice, and determination toward a brighter future.
?In his address, the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Governing Council of the university, Dr. Chinyere Igwe, called for increased support for the institution, citing challenges such as inadequate funding, aging infrastructure, limited laboratory and ICT facilities, and staff shortages.
According to him, management is working to protect the institution’s academic standards and improve its public image through transparency, excellence, and international collaborations.
?
?He disclosed that the university has introduced reforms including infrastructure rehabilitation, curriculum modernization, and expanded online learning, but stressed that more support is needed from the government, corporate organisations, alumni, and development partners to sustain growth and improve educational quality.
?
?Also speaking, the Acting Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof Okechuku Onuchuku,
commended the Rivers State Government for its continued support to the institution, particularly in staff recruitment, infrastructure development, and accreditation exercises.
?He thanked former Governor Nyesom Wike and Governor Siminalayi Fubara for their contributions to the growth of the university.
?
?He disclosed that 53 of the institution’s 79 undergraduate programmes are fully accredited by the National Universities Commission, while other programmes have received necessary approvals and verification.
?
? The Vice Chancellor also highlighted ongoing infrastructure projects and urged graduating students to uphold the values and standards of the institution.
Statistical breakdown of the graduands indicates that a total of 3,510 had First Degree while 1,815 had Postgraduate Degree.
The theme for the 44th Convocation is “The Story of Academic and Administrative Progress: The Case of IAUE”.
Continue Reading

News

RSUBE Holds Training For 1,000 New Teachers

Published

on

The Rivers State Universal Basic Education Board (RSUBE) has trained 1,000 newly recruited teachers with a view to raising standards in public primary and junior secondary schools in the state.

The two-day orientation and capacity building programme held in Port Harcourt introduced the teachers to civil service rules, classroom management practices, and professional conduct expected of educators in the state.

The State Commissioner for Education, Dr. Peters Nwagor, told the newly recruited teachers that teaching demands more than academic qualifications, and called for discipline, diligence, and a strong commitment to service.

He described teaching as a noble profession that is central to the development of the state.

The recruitment, he said, reflects the government’s investment in children and long-term development.

“Education is the foundation of societal progress, and basic education is where that foundation is laid,” Nwagor stated.

He urged the teachers to shape the values and character of pupils during their most formative years.

He pledged continued support from the Ministry of Education through training, resources, and an environment that allows teachers to perform effectively.

Nwagor directed RSUBEB to reject transfer requests from rural to urban schools, saying the newly employed teachers have an obligation to serve where they are posted and help strengthen education in those communities.

In his opening remarks, the RSUBEB Chairman, Hon. Sam Oge, explained that the recruitment process began in 2023 under the previous board, adding that after assuming office, he consulted widely and secured Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s approval to complete the exercise.

Oge said the selection was competitive, with 1,000 candidates chosen from more than 5,000 applicants, and urged the teachers to treat the opportunity seriously and avoid lobbying for reposting.

He directed the teachers to resume at their assigned schools immediately, saying request for reposting will not be entertained.

The former RSUBEB Chairman, Ven. Dr. Fyneface Akah, who delivered the keynote address, described the orientation as the teachers’ formal entry into the civil service.

He urged them to be creative, purposeful, and open to learning on the job.

Akah stressed that teachers have a role in restoring values lost to moral decline, and urged them to model national values and see their work as a calling with lasting impact on the society.

He thanked the State Government for approving the recruitment, noting that the exercise will improve access to quality basic education across the State.

Akujobi Amadi

Continue Reading

News

INEC To Deploy 1.4m Corps Members For 2027 Elections

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has disclosed that no fewer than 1.4 million members of the National Youth Service Corps will be deployed for the 2027 general elections.

The Chairman of the commission, Prof Joash Amupitan (SAN), made this known on Monday during a courtesy visit to the Director-General of the NYSC, Brig Gen Olakunle Nafiu, at the Yakubu Gowon House, headquarters of the scheme, in Abuja.

Amupitan, in a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary and Media Adviser, Adedayo Oketola, described the meeting with the NYSC senior management team as more than a formal courtesy visit, saying it was also a mission of gratitude.

According to him, the NYSC remains a critical pillar in Nigeria’s democratic process.

He noted that corps members had participated in virtually every election cycle since 1999, stressing that, “INEC cannot conduct elections in Nigeria without the NYSC.

“As the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, I am honoured to discuss our collaborative efforts toward ensuring seamless and credible elections in Nigeria.

“You provide the heartbeat of our field operations. When we speak of election manpower, we are essentially speaking of corps members.

“They are the most dedicated, educated and patriotic election duty staff we have, and their presence at polling units brings a level of neutrality and public confidence that is irreplaceable.

“They form the backbone of our election processes, especially as ad hoc staff, whose dedication, discipline and patriotism are critical to the success of our elections,” he added.

Amupitan said institutional data from the 2023 general election showed the importance of the partnership between INEC and the NYSC.

He explained that INEC deployed about 1.2 million ad hoc staff for the 2023 elections, with over 70 per cent, nearly 850,000 personnel drawn from corps members and student volunteers.

Speaking on preparations for the 2027 elections, the INEC chairman said more than 1.4 million ad hoc staff would be engaged, with corps members making up the majority.

“For the 2027 general election, we will require 707,384 ad hoc staff for the Presidential and National Assembly elections scheduled for January 16, 2027.

“The same number will be needed for the governorship and Houses of Assembly elections on February 6, 2027, making a total of 1,414,768,” he said.

He added that INEC would also require 52,446 corps members for the Ekiti and Osun governorship elections, as well as by-elections in Nasarawa, Enugu, Rivers, Ondo, Kebbi and Kano states.

Amupitan said corps members accounted for nearly 90 per cent of Registration Area Officers and Presiding Officers in many states during previous elections.

“These young Nigerians did not just facilitate voting; they protected the sanctity of the ballot in 176,846 polling units across some of the most difficult terrains in the country,” he said.

He further praised the corps members for their role in off-cycle elections, particularly the Anambra governorship election and the FCT Area Council polls.

According to him, their digital proficiency contributed significantly to the seamless operation of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System.

“In those exercises, it was the digital proficiency of corps members that ensured the seamless performance of our BVAS, proving they are the tech-savvy backbone of our modern democracy,” he added.

Amupitan acknowledged the sacrifices made by corps members during elections and assured that INEC would continue to work with the NYSC and security agencies to strengthen safety measures and welfare packages for them.

As the 2027 general election approaches, we are committed to ensuring adequate mobilisation and preparedness of NYSC members for this important national assignment,” he said.

He also noted that the Ekiti and Osun governorship elections, scheduled for June 20 and August 15, respectively, alongside several by-elections, would serve as tests for innovations ahead of the 2027 elections.

Responding, Brig. Gen. Nafiu thanked INEC for its continued collaboration with the scheme.

He recalled that the Memorandum of Understanding between both organisations was signed in 2011 and had been periodically renewed.

Nafiu described corps members as credible, reliable and easily trainable manpower.

“The last batch of millennials will soon exit the scheme, leaving behind Gen Z corps members known for their digital savviness, which will benefit INEC,” he said.

He assured the commission of the NYSC’s continued support in both the 2027 general elections and upcoming off-cycle elections.

Continue Reading

Trending