Nation
‘Electricity Tariff Hike’ll Inflict More Hardship On Nigerians’
Stakeholders in the electricity sector have said that the proposed hike in electricity tariff will inflict more hardship on Nigerians who are already feeling the heat of petrol subsidy removal.
They stated this in separate interviews with The Tide source on Monday in Ibadan.
The Principal Partner, Utilities Consumers’ Rights Advocacy Initiative, Mr Shadrack Akinbodunse, said there had never been corresponding performances from distribution companies (discos) to justify every new tariff regime.
Akinbodunse noted that power supply had been getting worse since the privatisation of the sector due to what he called poor planning for expansion and failure to make timely provisions for obsolete equipment.
According to him, mass meter deployment, as promised by the discos during privatisation, had also become a mirage, while old and obsolete meters were not replaced, in disregard to an order by Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC).
“It’s a known fact that the Multi-Year Tariff Order (MYTO) pricing framework is essential to the survival of discos but it also goes with their corresponding performances to justify every tariff regime.
“Till date, there has never been any tariff regime justified with measurable performances by discos, yet they keep increasing tariff.
“This is unfair and an open injustice to electricity customers across the country. The discos should justify their present tariff and stop shortchanging Nigerians”, he said.
Akinbodunse also claimed that there had been age-long open cheating and extortion by electricity workers, especially any time power equipment developed fault in any community.
“Most times, they tell customers that there is no provision for repair or replacement of faulty power equipment in their stores.
“Most community development associations (CDAs) have now become a conduit pipe to milk people through power supply fault and activation of new installations.
“In view of the above, we strongly condemn electricity tariff hike in any form”, he said.
Also speaking, the Director-General, Manufacturers’ Association of Nigeria (MAN), Mr Segun Ajayi-Kadir, said higher electricity tariff would directly increase the cost of production for manufacturers.
“Already, we have power constituting between 28 and 40 per cent in the cost structure of the manufacturing industry.
“So the impacts of the new tariff hike on the manufacturing industry will be intensive, particularly on metal processing, heavy machinery and chemicals manufacturing.
“A spike in electricity tariff will also erode the profit margin of the manufacturers and reduce their ability to expand operations and create new jobs.
“There is high probability of the activities of small and medium-scale enterprises (SMEs) being paralysed with the proposed hike in tarrif.
“There may also be a decrease in the revenue collectable by government, while manufacturers will ultimately pass the additional cost to the consumers of their products”, he said.
Nation
HYPREP Marks 15 Years Of UNEP Report, Highlights Major Cleanup Milestones
The Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has commemorated the 15th anniversary of the release of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Environmental Assessment Report on Ogoniland, reaffirming its commitment to restoring the environment and improving the livelihoods of affected communities.
In a statement signed by the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey, to commemorate the anniversary, HYPREP described the anniversary as a significant milestone in Nigeria’s environmental restoration efforts, noting that the project has made remarkable progress in implementing the recommendations of the landmark UNEP report released on August 4, 2011.
The UNEP report had revealed extensive oil pollution across Ogoniland, severe environmental degradation, and serious public health risks resulting from decades of petroleum operations. It also recommended an initial $1 billion fund to commence the cleanup of the affected communities.
According to HYPREP, the Federal Government formally launched the Ogoni clean-up in 2016, while the Project Coordination Office was established in 2017 to drive the implementation of UNEP’s recommendations.
Zabbey said the current administration has continued to prioritise the project under the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Providing an update on the cleanup, the Project Coordinator disclosed that 30 of the 65 contaminated sites identified by UNEP have been fully remediated, while work is ongoing at several medium- and high-risk locations. It also stated that more than 1.5 million mangrove seedlings have been planted as part of what it described as the world’s largest restoration of oil-degraded mangroves, with over 1,000 hectares of shoreline already rehabilitated.
Zabbey further revealed that 49 Ogoni communities have been connected to potable water schemes through multiple water projects and booster stations aimed at providing safe drinking water across the region.
In the health sector, he said the 100-bed Ogoni Specialist Hospital in Kpite and the 43-bed Cottage Hospital in Buan are nearing completion, adding that several existing health facilities have been upgraded with modern medical equipment, while five ambulances have been donated to improve emergency healthcare services. The Project Coordinator also disclosed that a three-year human health biomonitoring study is being conducted in collaboration with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
On economic empowerment, Zabbey stated that the Project has created more than 8,000 direct jobs and trained thousands of Ogoni youths and women in various vocational and technical skills, including software development, cybersecurity, aviation, commercial diving, seafaring, mechatronics, and creative arts. The project also reported awarding scholarships to more than 1,000 students, providing grants to small businesses, and supporting persons living with special needs through skills acquisition programmes.
The statement further highlighted ongoing legacy projects, including the Ogoni Power Project and the Centre of Excellence for Environmental Restoration, which it said is about 96 per cent complete. HYPREP also welcomed the recent designation of the Ogoni Wetland as a Ramsar Site of International Importance and pledged to continue promoting biodiversity conservation and sustainable management of the ecosystem.
Marking the anniversary, Zabbey said the progress achieved over the past 15 years demonstrates the collective commitment of government, development partners, stakeholders, and local communities to restoring Ogoniland. He called for renewed collaboration to sustain the cleanup effort, promote environmental sustainability, and support the long-term development of the region. 3
Nation
REAN, SON synergise to curb fake renewable energy product
Nation
Self Help Africa programme expands water access for 320,000 Nigerians
-
News2 days agoRSG Targets Nine Million Residents in Mosquito Net Distribution Campaign
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoAiyedatiwa Signs New Electricity Bill
-
Maritime2 days agoMarine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoNLNG Commissions Research And Innovation Centre In RSU
-
News2 days agoKenPoly Holds Eight Convocations, August 29
-
News2 days agoRSG Begins Another Phase of Projects Commissioning Today
-
News2 days agoRMAFC Completes Revenue Sharing Review, Proposes New Pay
-
Maritime2 days agoNAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged Maritime Police Harassment
