Connect with us

Rivers

18 Rights Groups Urge FG To Release #EndSARS Detainees

Published

on

Eighteen human rights groups under the aegis of Action Group on Free Civic Space (AGFCS) have called on the Federal Government to effect the unconditional release of all detained #EndSARS protesters in various detentions across the country.
The group in a press conference organised in Port Harcourt, to commemorate one year anniversary of the October 20, 2020 protest at Lekki Tollgate in Lagos resulting in alleged killing of some protesters by soldiers, said it was important for the government to appease the Nigerian youths.
This is even as the group described Nigeria as “surveillance state judging from its misuse of digital laws, technologies and importation of sophisticated hacking tools to arbitrarily intercept communications of targeted civic actors, illegal monitoring of opposition voices, among others.
The rights groups called on President Muhammadu Buhari to stop the ongoing oppression on dissenting voices such as the media, rights activists, among others, whose constitutional right is to advocate for accountability from government.
“Government must release all #EndSARS protesters still unlawfully imprisoned for daring to challenge an oppressive status quo. Government must also lift the suspension on twitter in Nigeria and commit to opening up the space for citizens to participate in governance and engage in constructive dialogue”.
Speaking at the conference, the South-South Coordinator of the AGFCS, Mr Fyneface Dumnamene Fyneface said the Nigerian government must restore confidence in the victims of police brutality by fully implementing the recommendations for compensation submitted by all panels of inquiry set up by various states to look into the cruel activities of the disbanded Special Anti- Robbery Squad (SARS).
Fyneface wondered why the reports of the panels had been ignored while the victims of the police brutality continue to wriggle in pains of losing loved ones or those who sustained life-threatening injuries.
The coordinator of the group also called on the State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike to investigate the activities of members of the local vigilante group, ONELGA Security, Peace and Advisory Council (OSPAC).
He alleged that members of the group had deviated from their assigned responsibility to maiming, killing and extortion of innocent citizens, adding that failure to heed this call, the rights groups would stage a peaceful protest in the state.
“We call on the Rivers State Government and the local councils to investigate some members of the group as they have now deviated to killing and extorting money from innocent people. Failure to heed this complaint, we will not hesitate to storm the streets of Port Harcourt on a peaceful protest”, Fyneface said.
On her part, a member of Kebetkache Women Development Resource Centre, Patience Ekong stated that the #EndSARS protest didn’t yield any result, adding that none of the five-point agenda demanded by the youths had been implemented one year after.
She called on the Federal Government to give everyone a free space to ventilate their grievances, noting that shutting down means of communication such as twitter and the social media space was uncalled for.
On her part, the Chairman, Nigeria Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ), Rivers State Chapter, Susan Serekara-Nwikhana stated that the #EndSARS protest had not made any change.
According to her, last year’s protest, named after the social media hastag #EndSARS, was intended to end the atrocities of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) unit, notorious for extortion, torture and extrajudicial killings, which later snowballed into wider protest against bad governance that led to the suspension of the unit and promised reforms, but regretted that there had been no change in police brutality, extortion and extrajudicial killings a year after.
She also called for proper welfare package for the police in order to curb extortion excesses.

By: Susan Serekara-Nwikhana

Continue Reading

Rivers

2026 Boy Child Day: Association Seeks Intentional Mentoring 

Published

on

As the world marked the 2026 International Day of the Boy Child last Saturday, the Rivers Secondary Schools Old Boys and Girls 1983 Set Association has called for deliberate investment in raising boys who will become responsible heads of homes.
In a press release signed and issued by the Secretary-General of the Association, Dr. Ibinabo Ogolo, to commemorate the day, the Association said the future stability of Nigerian families depends on how intentionally boys are raised and guided.
Speaking on behalf of the Set, President of the Association, Barrister Tubokomba Mcdonald Harry, she said the theme of this year’s global celebration, “Boys to Men: Adopting Good Habits and Attitudes”, must move beyond slogans to daily practice in homes, schools, and communities.
“For years, advocacy has rightly centered on the girl child. That work must continue. But we cannot ignore the other side”, Barrister Harry stated.
“A boy who grows up without guidance, emotional literacy, and responsibility often becomes a man who struggles to lead, provide, and protect. If we want stable homes in 2040, we must invest in boys now”, he said.
He emphasized that being “head of the home”  is about stewardship, not power: “The man who leads a home well is emotionally responsible, financially disciplined, morally upright, and a true partner to his spouse. These qualities are learned from childhood, through what boys see, hear, and practice.”
The Association noted that many boys currently learn manhood by default from peers, social media, and entertainment that equate masculinity with aggression and silence about pain.
To change this, the 1983 Set urged fathers and mentors to be present and active, schools to integrate life skills such as conflict resolution and financial literacy, and communities and faith groups to establish mentorship programmes where older men guide younger ones.
The press release also linked the issue to Africa’s wider goals, noting that the 2026 Day of the African Child focuses on water, sanitation, and hygiene.
“A boy trained to solve real problems becomes a man who ensures dignity for his family and community”, Harry said.
The Association concluded with a call to mothers, fathers, and boys themselves to take ownership of the task of raising responsible future leaders.
International Day of the Boy Child is observed globally on May 16. It is a day that focuses on the well-being, mental health and positive development of boys.
Continue Reading

Rivers

Ogoni Landlords Seek Inclusion In Planned Oil Resumption Process 

Published

on

Flemotongha Miebi/Fortune Wokeh/Akpos David/Esuuk Oyet/Edughom Suotor
Landlords in Ogoni, under the aegis of Gokana,Tai, Eleme, and Khana United Landlords Association  (GOTEKA) have called for inclusion in the ongoing negotiation over the planned resumption of oil production in Ogoniland.
The landlords,who made the call during its formal inauguration recently in Port Harcourt, also called for proper compensation, clear legal agreements, and inclusive dialogues in the entire process
Chairman of the Association, Professor George Ema, said any resumption of oil exploration in ogoniland without proper consultation with host communities and land owners will be resisted.
George said, while the association expressed support for the planned return of oil activities in ogoniland under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,  key historical issues must be addressed to avoid a repeat of earlier conflicts that led to the suspension of oil operations in the area.
According to GOTEKA, past disagreements between oil companies, political leaders, and host communities caused crises, court cases, and long-term disruption of oil production in Ogoni land, adding that these problems were responsible for the high level of poverty warranted by economic stagnation, social unrest, pipeline vandalism, and many legal battles in the area.
The landlords also referenced the struggles led by late environmental activist, Ken Saro-Wiwa, and the Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People (MOSOP), which opposed Shell’s activities in Ogoni land, resulting in years of unrest and court cases.
They stressed that the renewed plan for oil exploration must be guided by proper Memoranda of Understanding (MOU), fair compensation, and the direct involvement of landlords in negotiations to prevent cheating and conflict.
The group also raised concern over what they described as a repeated “divide and rule” approach in handling oil compensation in Ogoni. They said there is a lack of proper MOUs between oil companies and landlords, while compensation often goes to political leaders and traditional rulers instead of the real landowners.
GOTEKA added that land in Ogoni is owned by individuals and families, not the entire community.
According to the group, “under traditional land rules, owners have full rights over their land and can decide how it is used, including selling or leasing it. So, there must be proper agreement spelt out in the MOU, which must be signed by all the parties involved to avoid legal battles.
The group urged government, oil companies, and political leaders to respect traditional land ownership and adopt honest dialogue and peaceful negotiation in resolving issues.
Continue Reading

Rivers

Police Warn Rivers Students Against Cultism, Drug Abuse

Published

on

The Divisional Crime Officer (DCO) of Rumuodomaya Police Station, CSP Dindara Dadamu, has warned students in Rivers State against involvement in cultism and other criminal activities, stressing that such acts could lead to imprisonment and destruction of their future.
He gave the warning recently during an anti-cultism and drug abuse sensitisation programme organised by the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) at Den-Bec Group of Schools in Port Harcourt.
Dadamu stated that the law does not exempt minors from punishment, noting that children from the age of 12 could still be prosecuted for criminal offences.
According to him, many young people are lured into cultism through peer pressure and bad company. He urged the students to be mindful of the friends they associate with.
The DCO stressed that ignorance of the law would not protect anyone from facing the consequences of unlawful conduct.
Also speaking, a representative of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Mr. Ejiofor Ifeanyi, described cultism and drug abuse as destructive habits capable of ruining academic ambitions and promising careers.
He advised the students to avoid negative influences and remain focused on their education and personal development.
A mental health expert, Mr. Victor Akeni, noted that cultism and illicit drug use contribute significantly to emotional instability, fear and poor academic performance among youths.
He explained that cult members often live under constant fear of attacks and reprisals, making it difficult for them to concentrate on their studies or live peacefully.
The sensitisation programme brought together security agencies, mental health professionals, teachers and students as part of efforts to discourage social vices among young people.
The Managing Director of NDDC, Dr. Samuel Ogbuku, who spoke through a representative, Mrs. Anna West, encouraged the students to take advantage of opportunities provided through education and technology rather than engaging in unlawful activities.
Ogbuku also warned that cultism and drug abuse could result in imprisonment, violence and untimely death, and urged the students to embrace discipline, hard work and positive values.
By: King Onunwor

Continue Reading

Trending