News
A’Court Judges Cancel Vacation Over Election Petitions
The President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Zainab Bulkachuwa, has cancelled this year’s edition of the court’s judges’ annual vacation which usually lasts about two months.
The Media Officer, Sa’adatu Musa-Kachalla, said in a statement, yesterday, that this was due to “the enormous (election) petitions the court is faced with.”
She explained that since election petitions were time-bound, there would be the need for a timely determination of the appeals arising from them by the Court of Appeal.
The statement also stated that 65 election petitions relating to the last governorship, state House of Assembly, National Assembly and presidential elections had so far been either dismissed or struck out, while 735 were pending before 77 tribunals sitting across the country.
The Federal High Court judges had, last week, commenced their annual vacation and some other federal courts’ judges were due to commence theirs today.
But Musa-Kachalla quoted the President of the Court of Appeal in her statement as saying, “We have to forfeit our annual vacation to enable us entertain and determine all appeals arising from the various Election Petition Tribunals transmitted to the court.”
She said that Bulkachuwa communicated the directive to the judges of the court in a two-page circular on July 2.
According to the statement, Justice Bulkachuwa noted that many appeals pending the before the court were time-bound and would be due to come up within the period of the court’s vacation from July-October.
“The need therefore arises for them to be heard and determined within the said period”, the statement added.
Bulkachuwa was also said to have directed the presiding justices of the various divisions of the court to, in consultation with her, draw up a roaster to enable “the justices with medical appointments or other pressing family issues to travel for not more than 15 days within the period.”
She was said to have added that the planned roster should be such that, “at any given time, there is a three-member panel on ground in every division to hear and determine appeals.”
The statement added, “In divisions with three justices, only one justice can travel at a time and the office of the President of the Court of Appeal is to be immediately notified to form a panel in that justice’s absence should the need arise,” the circular further directed.
According to Justice Bulkachuwa, appeals arising from the National and State Assemblies would be heard by a local panel of three members, except where it is controversial, then, the president will constitute and send another panel to hear it.
News
HYPREP Tightens Security At Project Sites
Following the rupture of the ground tank of its water facility in Ebubu Community in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State, the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has tightened security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
HYPREP, which dropped this hint in a statement signed by its Head of Communications, Dr Enuolare Mba-Nwigoh, said the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey had given the directive for security to be tightened across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
Mba-Nwigoh noted that the tightening of security across the project sites has become necessary to forestall interference with the facilities.
He further disclosed that following the rupture of the ground tank of the Ebubu water facility, a team led by HYPREP’s Director of Technical Services, Prof Damian-Paul Aguiyi has visited the scene of the incident to assess the situation, stressing that the water facility has been cordoned off for public safety.
The statement indicated that following the incident, HYPREP has henceforth barred non-project personnel and non-facility staff from gaining access into any of its active project sites in Ogoniland without authorisation.
While appealing to residents of Ebubu Community and the public to remain calm, the Head of Communications assured them that the Project is taking prompt steps to restore water to the community, saying, the cause of the unfortunate incident is being investigated.
He equally noted that the Chief Security Officer of HYPREP has been directed to immediately tighten security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
The statement said HYPREP is deeply concerned about the incident, stressing that despite the setback, the Project reiterates its commitment to delivering sustainable cleanup in Ogoniland.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
-
Niger Delta3 days agoBayelsa’s Aircraft Makes Inaugural Flight…As Lawmakers, Oil Minister, NDDC’S MD Hail Diri
-
Nation2 hours ago
Hausa Community Lauds Council Boss Over Free Medical Outreach
-
Rivers2 hours ago
UNIPORT Moves To Tackle Insecurity … Inducts Security Experts
-
Nation2 hours ago
Community Leaders Task Parents On Children Upbringing
-
Nation2 hours agoOgoni Power Project: HYPREP Moves To Boost Capacity Of Personnel
-
Nation2 hours ago
Association Hails Rivers LG Chairmen, Urges Expansion Of Dev Projects
-
Nation2 hours ago
CDC Chairman, Youth Leader Hail Monarch Over Wrestling Festival Success
-
Nation2 hours ago
Film Festival: Don, Others Urge Govt To Partner RIFF
