Connect with us

Politics

Wike Inaugurates Committee On Environment Varsity

Published

on

Conversion of Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic, Bori, to a full-fledged University was one of the major issues that dominated discussions last week in the Rivers State Government House, Port Harcourt.
Governor of Rivers State, Chief Nyesom Wike, last Wednesday, set up an ad-hoc committee to examine and advise the state government on the idea of upgrading the existing Ken Polytechnic to University of Environment.
The governor’s action was sequel to the request made by the Ogoni apex group, KAGOTE, that the polytechnic be upgraded to University of Environment as a legacy to the struggle of the foremost environmental right activist in Nigeria, Ken Saro-Wiwa hails from Ogoni.
Wike who hosted the high powered delegation of KAGOTE last Tuesday presented the proposal at the Rivers State Executive Council meeting in Government House, Port Harcourt Wednesday, for approval.
The committee headed by the Deputy Governor, Dr Ipalibo Harry Banigo has two weeks to submit its report. It would examine the prospects of transforming the polytechnic into the third state-owned university.
Another crucial event last week was the governor’s accent to the Rivers State Neighbourhood watch bill on Wednesday.
Recall that penultimate week, the governor had promised that he would sign the bill into law stressing that the law will help the security agencies get intelligence and information from the initiative.
He also said it would create employment opportunities to the youth adding that the insinuation that the government has motive of arming youths as false.
Last Tuesday, Wike hosted the Assistant Inspector General of Police zone six.
The AIG who came in company of the Rivers State Commissioner of Police and other top security officials said he was in the state to seek collaboration with the state government on how to bring about improved security.
Last Thursday, the Governor led the management of the leadership Newspaper, members fo the National Assembly and Elder statesmen on projects inspection.
Wike who is set for honour on March 29, 2018 as the Leadership Newspaper Governor of the year 2017 declared that majority of key projects would be delivered between May and December.
Among projects inspected were Port Harcourt Pleasure Park Cinema and Restaurants, Cultural Centre, Creek Road, Bonny/Bille/Nember Jetty, Judges Guaters, Mother and Child Hospital, Produce House, Court of Appeal and National Industiral Court.
Speaking on behalf of the Leadership Group, Director Leadership Group, Mr. Michael Okpere commended the governor for turning Rivers State into a major construction site.
He said: “These projects generate employment, they generate revenue and they create employment opportunities for the people”.
The governor, last week flagged off some projects among which are upgrading and remodeling of Bonny National Grammer School Bonny.
He noted that the project will be completed in nine months and that all the contractors handling the job are indigenes of Bonny.
“None of the contractors doing this job is from outside. This is to show that we are interested in empowering the people”, he said.
Wike regretted that the APC-led Federal Government was playing pranks with the Bonny-Bodo Road project after NLNG committed N50 billion as counterpart fund to the project.
While the upgrading and remodeling of the Bonny National Grammer School (BMGS). Bonny was flagged off last Tuesday, Wike on Wednesday flagged off the execution of Rivers State Government, European Union and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) Water and sanitation projects in two local government areas.
The flag off was done at Nkoro Town School in Opobo/Nkoro Local Government Area, where he stated that his administration is committed to the provision of potable water for rural dwellers.
The governor was represented at the event by the Commissioner of Water Resources, Prof Kaniye Ebeku.

 

Chris Oluoh

Continue Reading

Politics

FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain

Published

on

A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable

Published

on

The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission

Published

on

As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

Trending