Connect with us

News

JAMB Assures Of Smooth 2016 Admission Process

Published

on

The Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, has assured that the 2016 admissions into the country’s tertiary institutions will be smooth.
This is contained in a statement issued by JAMB, yesterday.
Oloyede spoke at the opening of the first technical committee meeting on the 2016 admissions to first choice institutions which opened at the Bayero University, Kano on Monday.
He said that the only difference between 2016 admission process and what had been the practice was the policy that there should be no written Post-UTME test.
The registrar said that all other processes would be the way they have always been.
He said, “It is more pleasant to me that in the almost four decades of JAMB, this is the first time that the technical meeting will hold in Kano.
“Every year the board convenes meeting for placement of suitably qualified candidates into tertiary institutions, taking into consideration vacancies available.
“It also considers guidelines approved for each institution by their respective proprietors.
“The meeting also looks at the preference expressed for the institutions and courses by the candidates.”
He said that the Senate of each institution have the prerogative of admitting candidates to their respective schools subject only to national policies.
The policies guidelines stipulated by the proprietors of the institutions must adhere to the 60:40 science/art ratios for conventional universities and 80:20 science/art ratios for non-conventional universities.
He added that the guidelines also include 70:30 technology/non-technology ratios for national diploma awarding institutions, among others.
He said, “The institutions must adhere strictly to subject combinations of various courses as specified by the respective Senates and included in the 2016 UTME brochure.
“Institutions are expected to adhere to the 2016 admissions quota as prescribed by the regulatory bodies like the National Universities Commission, National Board for Technical Education and the National Commission for Colleges of Education.
“For federal universities, the criteria stipulated by the Federal Executive Council, concerning merit, catchment and educationally less developed states, should be complied with.”
Oloyede further said that in the discharge of this national assignment, it was important that stakeholders act with focus on what was beneficial to the largest number of Nigerians.
He said, “We must avoid adding to the burden of our people who rightly yearn for higher education as a veritable means of active participation in public life.
“While urging us to work hard and exhibit commitment, synergy and cooperation between the board and the institutions, I assure you all that the hands of fellowship, which my predecessors have extended to the institutions, would be strengthened for the advancement of national goals.
“My immediate past predecessor, Prof. ‘Dibu Ojerinde, in particular and others in general, have lifted the board to an enviable standard of international repute and we cannot afford to do less.
“The task of JAMB is coordination and not substitution of the traditional responsibilities of the Senates of tertiary institutions.
“Consequently, no candidate must emanate from any other source (JAMB inclusive) outside the list prepared and recommended by the institutions.”
He, however, said that JAMB had the right to reject candidates for non-compliance with extant rules and regulations but would not be allowed to substitute or originate any names without the prior concurrence of the institutions.
The registrar tasked institutions to ensure that the admissions exercise was concluded before or by the approved deadline of November 30.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending