Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

Gov. Jibrilla Bindow of Adamawa State has said that his
administration will upgrade basic infrastructure for the judiciary to enhance efficient service delivery in the state.
Bindow, who made this known when he inspected courts in Yola, said that enabling environment for the judiciary would impact positively on the people of the state.
According to him, his administration is built on justice and fairness and infrastructure in the sector will translate into providing justice to the common man.
He directed the Ministry of  Works to submit the cost of procuring generating sets to his office to cushion the effects of power outage in the courts.
“My administration upholds justice and fairness and I must do my best to ensure that our courts are giving a facelift where workers will get human environment to give their best.
“It is sacrosanct that an enabling environment will boost the productivity of our judiciary staff which will in turn impact positively on our people.”

Borno

The Japanese Government has announced a donation of
three million dollars in support of victims of Boko Haram insurgency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States.
The Japanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr Sadanabu Kusaoke, made the announcement at the launch of the project in Maiduguri.
Kusaake said that the project was aimed at assisting the victims to engage in gainful activities like farming and trading for social stability.
“The Japanese Government has decided to support the project for early recovery and social cohesion in the North-East of Nigeria with a 3 million dollars donation.
“This is to help people who engage in gainful activities like farming and trading to contribute to the social stabilisation and recovery of the affected communities in the three states,” he said.
Ekiti

An Ekiti State High Court in Ado Ekiti has declined to
grant an ex-parte order sought by the Ekiti State Government to restrain EFCC from investigating the finances of the state.
Our correspondent reports that Justice Cornelius Akintayo refused to grant the order on the grounds that all the defendants in the case must first be put on notice to enable them prepare for their defence at the court.
The judge consequently adjourned the suit to August 23 and ordered all parties in the suit to appear before him when the motion on notice would be heard.
The suit was filed by Ekiti State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr Owoseni Ajayi, to stop the impending investigation of the accounts of the state government by the anti graft agency.
Another relief sought by the plaintiffs was an order stopping the arrest of the Commissioner for Finance, Accountant General and the managers of the banks in which the state had commitments.
FCT

The Japanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Sadanobu Kusaoke,
says 51 Nigerians have so far been granted scholarship for Masters Degree programme in various Japanese universities.
The Japanese envoy disclosed this at the sent-forth programme organised by Japan International Co-operation Agency (JAICA), for the successful candidates.
According to him, the gesture is an initiative of JAICA to assist Nigerian youths achieve their aspiration in life.
He congratulated the students for successfully going through the rigour of the selection process which he described as “very transparent”.
“The objective is to offer Nigerian students an opportunity to study at their Masters Degree level in various Japanese universities,” he said.

Jigawa
The Chairman of All Farmers Association of Nigeria
(AFAN), Jigawa State chapter, Alhaji Maigwa Jaga, says farmers in the state have shifted from subsistence farming to commercial agriculture.
Jaga disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Dutse.
He said the farmers embraced the venture in response to the advice of Gov.ernor Muhammadu Badaru.
“Governor Badaru provided improved variety of sesame seeds, groundnuts seeds and rice seeds to farmers to enable them take off well,” he said.
Jaga said that the farmers were asked to form groups comprising 50 members each in all the wards of the 27 local governments of the state in order to test the viability of the programme.
Kaduna

The West Africa Agricultural Productivity Programme
(WAAP) says it is partnering with 40 Nigerian universities and agricultural institutions to facilitate agricultural technology transfer.
Acting National Project Coordinator, WAAP, Mr James Apochi,  said this to newsmen  in Zaria, Kaduna State, shortly after he visited some of the selected villages for the pilot scheme.
Our correspondent reports that the coordinator visited Guga Multi-purpose Association at Guga village and Nasarawan Buhari Farmers Cooperative at Nasarawan Buhari.
“We are partnering with 15 agricultural institutes, 11 federal colleges of agriculture and 14 federal universities of agriculture.
“We started with 52 villages and now we have 500 villages that have been adopted.”

Katsina

The Katsina State Police command, in collaboration with
other security agencies, recovered 2,151 animals from cattle rustlers in July, 2016.
Alhaji Usman Abdullahi, the Katsina State Commissioner of Police disclosed this in an interview with newsmen  in Katsina.
He said that most of the animals recovered by the security agents were cows, sheep, goats, camels and donkeys.
The police boss said that the animals were recovered in nine local government areas that were mostly vulnerable to the menace of cattle rustling.
“The security agents recovered the animals in Funtua, Faskari, Safana, Batsari, Danmusa, Jibia, Kurfi, Dutsin-ma and Kafur Local Government areas,” he said.
Commenting on the issue of arms recovery, the commissioner said that the command had recovered three locally-made pistols and one brown pistol from criminals.
Abdullahi revealed that the command also recovered three AK47 rifles, one beretta pistol and 20 dane guns.
He disclosed that the police had recovered 85 assorted life ammunition and 49 expended empty shells.
The commissioner called on the members of the public to provide useful information about criminal activities to the police for action.

Kwara

A team of medical experts at the University of Ilorin Teach
ing Hospital (UITH) have successfully removed a tumour of about 12 centimeter in diameter from the brain of a pregnant woman.
This is contained in the University of Ilorin (Unilorin)’s Bulletin made available to newsmen on Tuesday.
It said the successful operation was carried out on a 40-year old patient, whose right side had become paralysed before the surgery.
It stated that the feat was achieved with the assistance of Prof. Wale Sulaiman ,a visiting Neuro-Surgeon from the Ochsner Medical Centre, New Orleans, U.S.A.
The bulletin stated that the 13-hour surgery captured the essence of collaboration and team work in medical practice.
Lagos

The Lagos State chapter of Environmental Health Officer
of Nigeria (EHOAN) has called on the public to desist from eating at unhygienic places.
Chairman of EHOAN Mr Akin  Akingbehin, gave the advice in an interview with newsmen  in Lagos.
Akingbehin said the association was embarking on a zero tolerance campaign against food sellers operating in open places in the state.
“What is of utmost importance to us is the control of sales of food at open places.
“We are embarking on total clampdown on unhygienic display of food for public consumption.
“By this exercise, we are trying to prevent food-borne diseases, taking note of the fact that food is a veritable vehicle by which a range of illnesses which affect man are spread.

Nasarawa

A 36-year-old husband, Emma Edaih, has demanded com
pensation for the number of years he wasted in the name of marriage to his wife Uche.
Edaih made this known when he testified in a divorce petition by his wife at a Grade 1 Area Court, Aso Pada, Mararaba, Nasarawa State.
He claimed that he enjoyed his wife for only two months since they got married, adding that he had no problem with the court granting his wife’s request.
“But I demanded compensation for wasting my years with her in the name of marriage.
“Since 2013, we got married, I only slept with her the first two months into our marriage and after then, she never allowed me to touch her, nor will she let me sleep with her,” he said.
Osun

Three men, who allegedly assaulted a police officer while
on duty, have been docked at an Osogbo Magistrates’ Court.
The accused — Olateju Emaculate, 19; Adebayo Damilola, 21  and Olateju Threasa, 42 — are facing a three-count charge bordering on conspiracy and assault.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Fagboyinbo Abiodun, told the court that the accused committed the offences on August 15 at about 6:30 a.m. along OlaOluwa Estate in the Osun capital.
Abiodun alleged that the accused conspired and assaulted Cpl. Adetiba Ololade, attached to Dada Police Station while carrying out his lawful duty.

Sokoto

The Sokoto State Government says it has trained 500 un
employed youths from different parts of the state in domestic electrical instillation, fashion designing, tailoring and cosmetology.
The state Commissioner for Youth Development, Alhaji Musa Ausa, disclosed this at a ministerial briefing in Sokoto.
He said that the exercise was aimed at creating job opportunities for the teeming unemployed youths in the state.
The commissioner said the state government paid N5,000 monthly allowance to each trainee for the three months the programme lasted.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending