Rivers
Normalcy Returns To Ngo After Gunmen’s Attack

Rivers State Commissioner for Information and Communications, Dr Austin Tam-George (left) with chairperson of RATTAWU, Rivers State Council, Comrade Opi Erekosima, during a courtesy visit to the commissioner in Port Harcourt, recently. Photo: Egberi A. Sampson.
Relative calm is gradually
returning to Ngo, headquarters of Andoni Local Government Area after an attack on a Police Station by suspected cultists.
Suspected cultists had last Tuesday attacked the Divisional Office of the Nigerian Police in the town and carted away arms and ammunition.
Sources from the community informed The Tide that both soldiers and men of the Nigerian Police had been drafted to the town to restore peace to the area.
The State Police Public relations Officer. Mr Ahmed Mohammed confirmed an attack on the Police Station in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt.
Mr Mohammed who disclosed that arms and ammunition including two Ak.47 Rifles were taken away by the criminals said that no life was lost in the incident.
He also confirmed the drafting of Mobile Policemen to the town to maintain peace.
Also speaking with The Tide in a telephone interview, the Chairman, Caretaker Committee of Andoni Local Government Council, Hon. Victor Ere also confirmed the presence of security agents in the town.
The Caretaker Chairman said that the Council was determined this time around to ensure that no part of the town was occupied again by cultists.
He also announced the imposition of dusk to dawn curfew in the area.
Meanwhile, the Forum for Peace in Andoni, a non-governmental organisation in the state has called for the extension of Military presence to Oyorokoto.
Coordinator of the group, Mr. Ene Uti who stated this in a press statement made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt said that Oyorokoto, the largest fishing community in West Africa was in disarray following the activities of the cultists.
He said that part of the community had been burnt by the cultists and the inhabitants were being intimidated daily and called for government’s assistance.
It would be recalled that the Rivers State Police Command had confirmed report that unknown gunmen attacked a police station in Ngo town. The Command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP Ahmad Muhammad, who confirmed the attack in Port Harcourt, said the incident occurred on Monday night.
The Police spokesman, however, said no life was lost in the attack, adding that more security personnel had been deployed to the area following the attack while investigations were on-going to arrest those behind it.
Akujobi Amadi
Rivers
2026 Boy Child Day: Association Seeks Intentional Mentoring
Rivers
Ogoni Landlords Seek Inclusion In Planned Oil Resumption Process
Rivers
Police Warn Rivers Students Against Cultism, Drug Abuse
-
Editorial15 hours agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation14 hours agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
News19 hours agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Environment16 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Oil & Energy14 hours agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Maritime17 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Politics16 hours ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Education15 hours agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
