News
IYC Cautions Military Against Boko Haram Ceasefire
As the Nigerian military and forces of neighbouring countries continue their attacks to flush out Boko Haram insurgents, the Ijaw Youth Council Worldwide
has cautioned against any ceasefire.
The IYC contended that any idea of negotiation or peace move from the Boko Haram insurgents or their sympathisers must be resisted.
The UdengsEradiri led group’s in a statement issued yesterday by its spokesperson, Mr. Eric Omare, said, “The IYC calls on the Federal Government of Nigeria and the governments of neighbouring Chad, Cameroun and Benin Republic not to relent in the ongoing war without flushing out all the Boko Haram insurgents.
“There must be no room for any sort of negotiation. Any idea of negotiation or peace move from the Boko Haram insurgents or their sympathisers must be resisted as it is only a bait to buy time to regroup to carry out more deadly attacks on innocent Nigerians.” They added.
The IYC commended the efforts of the Nigerian Armed Forces and the joint national forces for the successes recorded so far in the ongoing war against insurgency in the northeast of Nigeria. But sympathised with the families of those who had paid the ultimate price in the crucial national assignment.
The group also called on the traditional, political and religious leaders of the North including youths to support the government and provide the lead in the fight against Boko Haram.
The IYC added, “We urge them to borrow a leaf from the Niger Delta experience where the leaders of the region agreed and provided the leadership that brought the armed resistance in the region to an end.
“The war against Boko Haram insurgency cannot be completely won without the total support of the people and communities directly affected.”
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
