Nation
THE STATES
FCT
The Exam Ethics Marshals International (EEMI), a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), said it would distribute 37,000 safe kits to schools across the country to promote security consciousness. Mr Ike Oneyechere, the chairman of the organisation, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Abuja. Oneyechere said the project would empower stakeholders to tackle insecurity in schools.
“Safe school is a project started in 2014 to address insecurity and safety challenges in schools. It is the only well researched, tested and acclaimed programme in Nigeria for building capacity of education stakeholders on safe school best practices.
“Our target is to distribute at least 37,000 kits to schools across the country; we plan to start in the first week of April.”
Gombe
The Gombe State Government has awarded contract for the construction of three cottage hospitals in Billiri, Shongom and Balanga local government areas at a combined cost of N600 million.
Dr Kennedy Ishaya, the state’s Commissioner for Health, told newsmen in Gombe on Thursday that the hospitals would be constructed in Dezari, Bore and Nyuwar villages, respectively.
He said the decision to construct the hospitals was informed by the immediate need of the community.
The commissioner said that each of the hospital would gulp N200 million and they would be completed within five months.
She said the hospitals would be fully equipped with modern facilities on completion.
Kennedy said that “there is enough manpower that will work in the hospitals.
“In the last three years, we were having problem of manpower; we had only 127 nurses and midwives, but now we have 500 of them,” he said.
Jigawa
Malam Abdullahi Muhammad, the World Health Organisation (WHO) representative in Malammadori, Jigawa, has called for greater involvement of livestock farmers in polio immunisation exercise.
Muhammad made the call at the polio task force committee meeting in Malammadori.
He also urged the local council to provide adequate logistics and allowances to immunisation personnel to facilitate smooth conduct of the exercise.
He said that the forum was created to mobilise herdsmen to present their children for immunisation against the disease.
“Miyetti-Allah Fulani organisation should engage its people in the communities to enhance participation in polio immunisation,” he said.
The WHO representative noted that effective participation by communities would ensure total eradication of the disease.
Kano
The Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) on Thursday stated that it issued 12,242 forms to members of the public in Kano State in the past 12 months.
The state Director of the CCB, Malam Umar Saulawa, disclosed this when he spoke with newsmen in Kano.
He said that the primary aim of the bureau was to maintain public morality and accountability.
The Director reaffirmed that “it is mandatory to all public officers to fill the forms, in order to scrap fraud and corruption in the society.” Mati said that 90 per cent of the forms issued had been completed by public officers and returned to the bureau.
“We receive assets declaration, examine the assets declaration and ensure that they comply with the requirements.
Kaduna
The Kaduna State command of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) said it would raid all the black spots in the state before the February elections. The commandant of the agency, Mr Samuel Azige, said this in an interview with newsmen in Kaduna.
According to Azige, the aim of the exercise is to rid the state of political thugs who usually perpetrate unscrupulous acts after taking illicit drugs. He said the agency was disturbed by the negative attitude of youths at political rallies.
He called on parents and communities to support the agency in the efforts to deter the youths from indulging in drug abuse and trafficking.
“We want to ensure a peaceful election by raiding all black spots which the youths mostly use as avenues for hawking and using illicit drugs.
Kebbi
Maj.-Gen. Sarkin-Yaki Bello (rtd), the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in Kebbi state, has pledged to transform the state, if voted into office.
Speaking at a rally in Zuru, headquarters of Zuru Local Government Area, Bello said that he would focus on economy, education, health, power, and agriculture sectors.
He appealed to the people to vote for him, promising to improve their social and economic lives.
The PDP candidate also said that he would provide equal opportunities to all communities, irrespective of tribal, religious and political affiliations.
He added that improvement in the economic status of households and provision of infrastructure would be enhanced under his administration.
He pledged to uphold equity in the provision of amenities, especially in the agriculture and education sectors.
Katsina
The Police in Katsina State have arrested 24 persons in connection with the attack on the convoy of PDP Presidential campaign in Katsina last Tuesday.
The Deputy Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Bala Zamasenchi, told newsmen in Katsina that knives, daggers, and machetes were recovered from the suspects.
He said the suspects would be prosecuted after investigation, stressing that “anybody behind the act will face the wrath of the law.’’
Zamasenchi advised politicians to stop over- heating the polity and play politics in accordance with the provisions of the law.
Lagos
Some graduates of the National Open University (NOUN) on have appealed to the Federal Government to allow them to enroll in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).
Speaking with newsmen in Lagos, Mrs Chioma Emmanuel, a 29-year-old graduate of Mass Communication, said participating in the scheme would enable graduates to get jobs faster. “They told us that we are not going for the National Youth Service. I just want them to do something very fast, because I believe going for service is an opportunity for one to get a job fast.
“Also, it will give us an opportunity to go to the different fields or those places where we are supposed to work at least to get enlightened.“
Oyo
The Country Manager, HarvestPlus Nigeria, Dr Paul Ilona, says the organisation has trained 300 National Youth Corps (NYSC) members on the benefits of vitamin A cassava production. Ilona told newsmen in Ibadan that the corps members were serving in Akinyele Local Government Area of Ibadan. HarvestPlus is an international organisation that collaborates with the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan.
The organisation is currently leading a global effort to breed and disseminate micronutrient rich staple food crops to reduce hunger in rural areas.
The country manager said the corps members were sensitised on the opportunities that could be derived in vitamin A cassava production, its value and marketing.
He said this would help to make them self-employed rather than waiting for white collar jobs.
Plateau
The Plateau office of the Public Complaints Commission has said that it resolved a total of 313 cases in 2014.
The Director of Investigation, Mr Marcellinus Suwa, told newsmen in Jos on Thursday that the cases were among the 638 complaints the commission investigated in the period under review, adding that 325 complaints were still under investigation. Suwa said that majority of the complaints arose from non-payment of pension and gratuity.
He urged concerned authorities to stop frustrating pensioners over their entitlements.
He also called for prompt response by public and private organisations in Plateau to the commission’s inquiries or be prepared to face the wrath of the law.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

