Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Bauchi

The Police command in Bauchi said it had arrested 10
suspected rustlers in the state.
The Spokesman of the command, DSP Haruna Mohammed, said this while briefing newsmen in Bauchi.
Mohammed said the rustlers include Yusuf Abdulkadir, Dare Karimu, Mamuda Sulai, Abdulkadir Usman, Ali Sulai, Maiwada Jahono, Buba Ali, Hassan Sale, Sale Jakudu and Alhaji Ahmed Mohammed.
He said the suspects were arrested on Dec. 10, at about 2:40 p.m. by police detectives attached to Dass Division with the help of Danga Vigilante Group.
Mohammed said the suspects had before their arrest engaged the police in fierce exchange of gunfire at Dajin Village,Tafawa Balewa Local Government Areas.

Benue

Governor Gabriel Suswam of Benue State said he had
kept his promise to the people of Masev, Ihiarev, Nongo Development Association (MINDA) by ensuring that Mr Terhemen Tarzoor, a youth from the area, would succeed him.
Suswam stated this while playing host to MINDA Youths Emancipation Moment at the Government House, Makurdi.
our correspondent  reports that Tarzoor won the December 8 governorship primaries of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state.
“We in Benue have decided to hand over power to the youths because they represent our future.
“The same thing is happening in the United State of America, Britain, among others, where youths are doing very well in leadership positions by ruling the biggest countries in the world, he said”.

Ekiti

An Ado-Ekiti Chief Magistrates’ Court in Ekiti State,
has  remanded three accused persons, Sunday Daramola,20, Tope Olatunji,27, and Seun Adeniyi, 20, in prison for allegedly raping a teenager.
The prosecutor, Sgt. Bamikola Olasunkanmi, told the court that the accused committed the offence on Dec.8 at Okeoja St., Igbemo -Ekiti.
Olasunkanmi alleged that the accused persons, on the said date, unlawfully gang raped the girl, inflicting grievous harm on her.
According to him, the offence is punishable under Section 516 and 358 of the Criminal Code Law, Laws of Ekiti State, 2012.
He added that the case file had been forwarded to the office of the State Directorate of Public Prosecutions for legal advice.

Kano

The Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO)
has concluded all the necessary arrangements to import 100, 000 pre-paid meters for distribution to customers in 2015.
The Managing Director of the company, Alhaji Jamilu Gwamna, made this known at Customers’ Interactive Session on Credited Advance Payment for Metering Implementation (CAPMI) in Kano recently. Our correspondent reports  that the forum was organised by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) to sensitise electricity customers on the CAPMI.
He said the measure was necessary in order to reduce incessant complaints by customers on crazy billing as well as to ensure effective service delivery.
“Even though, they may not be enough, but we can start with this number since we will continue to bring them in batches,” he said.
Gwamna said the company had also planned to invest in solar power but the issue of land was the major challenge facing the company.
Nasarawa

The Nasarawa State House of Assembly  has voted in
favour of autonomy for local government councils in the country and the abolition of states’ electoral commissions.
In a unanimous decision, the house said that scrapping electoral commission in the states and autonomy for local government councils were in the interest of peace and grassroots development in the country.
our correspondent  reports that the decision was part of the assembly’s contribution to the amendment of the nation’s 1999 Constitution.
Presenting the matter earlier, Speaker of the assembly, Alhaji Musa Mohammed, urged members to consider the bill above personal interest.
Moving the motion on both issues, the Deputy Majority Leader of the house, Mr Yahaya Usman, said, “My colleagues, in the interest of peace and speedy development across the country, there is need for the autonomy for local governments.
“This is because local governments are closer to the people at the grassroots.

Niger

The Niger State Government says it has distributed 128
motorcycles to agricultural extension workers in the state, to ease their mobility.
Managing Director of the Niger State Agricultural and Mechanisation Development Authourity (NAMDA), Alhaji Baba Madugu, made this known in Minna.
He said that the programme was in collaboration with the international donor agencies, adding that it would improve the dissemination of modern technologies among rural farmers.
Madugu said that female extension workers would also get 20 per cent of the motorcycles.
“This is the second phase of the distribution of 128 units of motorcycles to our extension workers, who are the front line staff of delivering the mandate of NAMDA.

Ogun

Mr Tunde Awolana, the General Manager of Ogun State
Broadcasting Corporation (OGBC), said the corporation required N608 million to function effectively in 2015.
Awolana disclosed this in Abeokuta while defending the 2015 budget proposal of the corporation before the Ogun House of Assembly.
He said the corporation was expected to generate N200 million as Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) with a recurrent expenditure of N298 million and N310 million for capital expenditure.
The general manager explained that the capital projects would include improving the signal strength of its AM and FM channels in order to increase the audience base and media rating.
On her part, the Commissioner for Culture and Tourism, Mrs Yewande Amusan, presented a total expenditure of N547 million for 2015.

Sokoto

Sokoto State Government has  donated six 36-seater
buses to three tertiary educational Institutions in the state.
The institutions include the state university, state polytechnic and the Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto.
Presenting the vehicles in Sokoto, Wamakko said each of the institutions was given two buses.
He said the vehicles were provided to alleviate transportation problems of the Institutions, adding, “the buses will also help in boosting  their sources of revenue and reduce heavy dependence on government.
“I must express my  appreciation to the various  leaders of the institutions for their contribution in boosting standard of education in the state.”

Taraba

The Taraba State Command of the Nigeria Immigration
Service (NIS)  has repatriated 11 nationals of the Niger Republic who were residing in the state illegally.
The NIS State Comptroller, Mr Habibu Haruna, disclosed this at a news briefing in Jalingo.
Haruna said the immigrants were arrested because they entered into the Takum axis of the state without valid traveling documents.
He said the aliens did not have the required traveling documents as stipulated by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
The comptroller, who was represented by the command’s Public Relations Officer, Mr Solomon Gisilambe, said that the presence of the foreigners raised fears amongst residents of Takum.

Zamfara

The Zamfara State Eye Centre, Gusau, has treated 15,000
patients of various eye diseases from 2012 to date.
The Assistant Chief Nursing Officer in charge of the centre, Alhaji Lawwali Hassan, said this in an interview with in Gusau on recently.
Lawwali said that the centre had recorded many successes in the treatment of various eye diseases.
According to him, the centre was owned by the state government but funded by Sightsavers International which provided medication and other components needed for the operation.
“The centre is established within King Fahd Abdul’aziz Women and Children Hospital, Gusau, and the patients mostly treated are those suffering from cataract, while others are with trauma and foreign body removal.

L-R: Governor  Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State, Governor  Ibrahim Shema of Katsina State, Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo of Gombe State and PDP National Chairman, Alhaji Adamu Mu'azu, after a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan at the Presidential Villa, Abuja

L-R: Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State, Governor Ibrahim Shema of Katsina State, Governor Ibrahim Dankwambo of Gombe State and PDP National Chairman, Alhaji Adamu Mu’azu, after a meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan at the Presidential Villa, Abuja

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending