Business
China Claims Cyber Attacks By US
Beijing has upped the ante on the US over accusations of cyber attacks by China, warning that it also has evidence against the US before a meeting between Barack Obama and Xi Jinping this week, the CNN reported.
Report from a Chinese daily said cyber attacks from the US had been “as grave as the ones the US claims China has conducted”, and quoted a senior cyber security official as calling on Washington not to openly press Beijing over cyber attacks.
The warning comes as Mr Obama is under pressure to do just that at his first presidential summit with Mr Xi at the Annenberg Estate in California on Friday.
“We have mountains of data, if we wanted to accuse the US, but it’s not helpful in solving the problem,” Huang Chengqing, director of the National Computer Network Emergency Response Team of China (CNCERT), told the English-language China Daily.
“The importance of handling internet security cases keeps rising, but the issue can only be settled through communication, not confrontation,” Mr Huang said, according to the paper.
CERTs are national bodies that try to detect and protect against internet security incidents.
After accusations by US researchers that the Chinese government and military are sponsoring an organised effort to steal US trade secrets through hacking, calls are mounting in Washington for the country to “name and shame” China or even retaliate with trade and visa sanctions.
Mr Huang’s remarks echo complaints by CNCERT’s chief engineer in an interview with the Financial Times last month that the politicisation of the cyber security issue was impeding CERTs’ efforts to exchange information and protect against attacks.
Beijing has been using the argument that China is one of the main victims of cyber attacks itself and many of those attacks emanate from the US. That is its standard response to US accusations of state-sponsored cyber theft from China, which is trying to set a more balanced framework for negotiations.
But Mr Huang’s comments mark the strongest language so far.
Business
FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank
Business
Customs Impound N2.35bn Cocaine, 15 Trailers of Rice
Business
Dangote, Nicolai Tangen To Partner In strategic sectors
-
Featured5 days agoWASSCE: RSG Distributes Science Materials To Secondary Schools
-
Sports5 days ago
Football Pundit Lauds Chelle’s Effort In Monitoring Nigeria League Players
-
News5 days ago
RSG Reaffirms Commitment To Quality Education
-
Niger Delta5 days agoFubara Charges Graduands On Discipline, Professionalism … As IAUE Holds 44th Convoc
-
News2 hours agoAfenifere Raises Alarm Over Attacks On Oyo Schools …Says Yorubaland Now Under Siege
-
News2 hours agoFG To Unveil Radio Station For Adult Education
-
News2 hours agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
News2 hours agoIsaac Boro Memorial: N’Delta Still Bleeds For Justice -MOSIEND
