Nation
THE STATES
Bauchi
The Federal Roads Safety Commission (FRSC) in Bauchi
State has confirmed that four people
died in auto crash at Gubi village on Bauchi-Kano Road last Tuesday.
Mr Henry Olatunji, the state Sector Commander, told our
correspondnet in Bauchi that the accident, involving two vehicles, occurred in
the morning.
He said that a Honda Accord car with registration AE108 MSA
and a Peugeot J5 with number SA 804 DKU collided, adding that the collision
resulted in fire, which led to the death of the passengers.
Olatunji said that the passengers were burnt beyond
recognition.
He noted that five
other passengers sustained injuries and that both the dead and the injured ones
were taken to the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Teaching Hospital, Bauchi.
Benue
A community leader at Ochama in Okpokwu Local Government
area of Benue State, Mr Joseph Aba, has appealed to the state government to
provide relief materials to victims of the flood disaster in the area.
Aba, in a statement
made available to The Tide in Makurdi, appealed to the State Emergency
Management Agency (SEMA) and National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to
send the relief materials urgently to the victims of the disaster.
The statement claimed that hundreds of houses and farm lands
were swept away by flood, adding that Madikpo clan was the most affected area.
The statement also noted that most children in the area had
been exposed to cold and were sleeping in the open alongside their parents due
to the lack of shelter.
FCT
The Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, last Tuesday
called on the media to play active roles in Nigeria’s transformation by paying
more attention to developmental issues.
Maku made the call in Abuja at an interactive session with
journalists on the forthcoming good governance tour, jointly organised by the
ministry and the Nigeria Union of Journalists.
He urged
journalists to desist from overheating the polity through their reportage of
the impending 2015 elections, and urged them to use the opportunity of the
forthcoming tour to redirect the focus of their reports and features to
developmental issues.
Maku said that the nation would benefit more if journalists
and media organisations re-examined the direction and philosophy of their
operations.
The minister said the tour would be unique in approach,
content and composition, adding that other stakeholders, apart from the media,
had been incorporated to give the exercise the desired credibility.
Jos
The Minister of Environment, Hajia Hadiza Mailafia, has said
in Jos that the Federal Government had commenced assessment of areas hit by the
flood that swept through many states of the federation.
The minister disclosed this when she led a team, constituted
to carry out the assessment, on a courtesy call on Governor Jonah Jang of Plateau State.
According to the minister, the team is expected to tour all
states affected by the disaster and, recommend ways to assist the victims and
to avoid a recurrence, pointing out that the team was in the state to see the
level of devastation caused there and to make recommendations to the
government.
“Over the last few months there had been series of flooding
across the country, including Plateau. We hope to recommend and implement
stringent measures to end the trend.
Kaduna
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) on
Tuesday awarded the Kaduna State Commissioner for Environment and Natural
Resources, Mr Zakaria Shamaki, the ‘Best Performing Commissioner in Nigeria
2012’ award.
Presenting the award in Kaduna, Mr Kolawole Olaoluwa, the
President of the association, said that the honour was in recognition of the
commissioner’s commitment to education in the state.
Olaoluwa remarked that Shamaki’s contribution towards
promoting best environmental practice earned him the “National Merit Award of
the Nigerian Students’’.
Katsina
The Community-Based Agricultural and Rural Development
Programme (CBARDP) has received N2.1 billion of the N2.7 billion approved
budget for the 2012 projects implementation, Alhaji, Abu Kankia, the National
Programme Coordinator, has disclosed.
Kankia told The
Tide in Katsina that the money was received from the International Fund for
Agricultural Development (IFAD), the major financier of the programme, as well
as the participating states and local governments.
The money, he said, covered the period January to August
2012 and represented 78 per cent financial performance.
He spoke on the sidelines of the 16th Supervision Mission of
the programme led by the IFAD Country Programme Manager, Ms Atsuko Toda, with
other IFAD and Federal Government officials, IFAD consultants and
journalists as members of the team.
Kebbi
The Kebbi State Command of Nigerian Immigration Service
(NIS) has concluded arrangements to deport 70 suspected illegal immigrants, the
Comptroller, Alhaji Sule Momoh, said.
Momoh told our correspondent
in Birnin Kebbi that the immigrants were arrested during routine checks.
He said the arrests
indicated an increase of entry by illegal immigrants into the state from
neighbouring countries, namely Niger Republic and Republic of Benin.
“The apprehended immigrants had no legal documents that
would guarantee them to conveniently stay within Nigeria.
“But we would expand our vigilance and deport such illegal
immigrants,” Momoh stressed.
Kogi
Displaced residents of Lokoja and its environs in Kogi State
have appealed to the state government for assistance as flood continued to
ravage the areas.
The victims, in
separate interviews with our correspondent in Lokoja, pleaded with the
government to urgently provide temporary accommodation for them.
The appeal followed the flooding of houses on the banks of
the River Niger, which had displaced hundreds of people, including women and
children.
Our correspondent who visited the affected areas, observed
that the river had overflowed its banks, submerging houses and washing away
property worth millions of naira.
Kwara
A bill to establish Kwara State Urban Regional Planning
Board has scaled through first reading at the House of Assembly.
Majority Leader Abdulkareem AbdulGaniyu moved the motion for the first reading of the bill,
while Hajiya Raliat Aremu Adifa, the member representing Lanwa-Ejidongari
constituency, seconded the motion.
Speaker Rasaz Atunwa
directed the House Committees on Land and Housing and Business Rules to work on
the bill to ensure proper passage.
Meanwhile, the
Assembly has rejected the report of its Committee on Lands, Housing and Urban
Development on a petition written by Atari community in Offa over the taking
over of their parcel of land.
Lagos
Wife of Lagos State governor, Mrs Abimbola Fashola, has said
3,500 students participated in the 2012 summer school programme, organised by
Lagos Empowerment and Resource Network (LEARN), her initiative.
Speaking at the closing ceremony last Tuesday, Fashola said
the students were taught core subjects, vocational skills and recreation,
adding that the programme took place in seven centres in Agidingbi, Ketu,
Ibeju-Lekki, Mushin, Surulere, Egbeda and Ojo.
“Five years ago, when we initiated this programme, our
objective was to engage students positively during the long summer vacation. It
was to first and foremost make them responsible and secondly, keep them safe
and from the streets.
Nasarawa
Five officers of the Nigeria Police Force in Nasarawa State
Police Command have been promoted to the rank of Assistant Commissioners of
Police.
The Tide reports that the officers, Umar Mohammed,
Tarfa Ibrahim, Monday Bala-Kurya, Mohammed Bosso-Barje and Aliyu Haruna, were
promoted for being hard-working and committed to duty.
Mr Micheal Zuokumor, the AIG in-charge of Zone 4, decorated
the officers at a brief ceremony at the police officers’ mess in Lafia.
Decorating the officers, Zuokumor said the promotion was part of the
Inspector-General of Police’s on-going reforms in the force, adding that the
gesture would serve as motivation for better performance.
Ogun
The Ogun State
government says it had spent N783.1
million on the construction of flyover bridge at Ibara roundabout in
Abeokuta. The Permanent Secretary,
Ministry of Works, Mr Kayode Ademolake, disclosed this during an oversight
visit to the ministry by the State House of Assembly Committee on Housing and
Infrastructure.
Ademolake, who put the total cost of the project at N1.5
billion, said that the government had released N783.1 million, adding that the bridge construction in Amolaso in
Abeokuta South Local Government area was 60 per cent completed, while the state government had released N60.5
million out of the N89.5 million cost of the project.
“I also want you to know that the cost of the construction
of Quarry-Surulere, Ita-Eko road was N59.1 million. Just as the construction of
Ibara, Ita-Eko, Sokori, Totoro road which is ongoing will cost N1.3 billion,’’
he said.
Oyo
In its effort to reduce the shortage of teachers, the Oyo
State Government has commenced a one- week training for 3,000 YES-O education
cadets in the three senatorial districts.
The cadets, who are graduates of education, will be deployed
to public primary and secondary schools immediately after completing the
training.
Mrs Adetokunbo Fayokun, the Commissioner for Education,
announced the plan in Ibadan at the opening of the training, adding that the
training was aimed at ensuring that the cadets were equipped with requisite
skills and knowledge to function in their places of assignment.
Nation
RSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
Rivers State University and the Otonti Nduka Foundation for Values Education jointly hosted a two-day National Conference on 8 and 9 May 2026 to examine the state of values in Nigeria.
The two days conference held at Rivers State University convocation arena brought together academics, policymakers, legal experts and education leaders under the theme _“Trends and Challenges in Upholding Values in Nigeria.”_
The gathering focused on policy gaps, curriculum reform, and the role of ethics in public service and education.
The event opened on Friday with remarks from Vice Chancellor Prof. Chief Isaac Zeb-Obipi, who stressed the need to address declining moral and civic values across Nigeria’s education and public sectors. A book of abstracts for the plenary sessions was also presented to participants.
Key speakers included former Attorney General Chief Dr Kanu Agabi, SAN; NERDC Executive Secretary Prof. Shehu Salisu; Prof. Hauwa Imam, FNAE, of the University of Abuja; former Rivers SUBEB Chairman Ven Dr Fyneface Akah, ; former NIMASA DG Dr Hon. Dakuku Adol-Peterside; and RSU Director of ICT Prof. Sunny Orike.
Discussions centered on integrating values education into schools, tertiary institutions and public institutions, alongside the impact of technology on moral development among young Nigerians. Panel and plenary sessions produced practical recommendations for curriculum and policy reform.
On Saturday, the foundation marked its centenary with the unveiling of the book _Otonti Nduka in History_, launched by Chief Engr. Grant Offor, FNSE. The Nigerian Academy of Education held a ceremonial procession led by its President Prof. Olu Jegede and the Ikwerre Professors Forum.
In a communiqué, participants called for stronger collaboration between government, civil society and academia to mainstream values education nationwide. They recommended reviewing teacher training curricula and expanding digital platforms to promote ethical civic engagement, with the foundation pledging to share the outcomes with education authorities for implementation.
Dignitaries present included Ogbakor Ikwerre Worldwide as Chief Host, Prof. Emeritus Chief T. Uzodimma Nwala, the Ikenga 1 of Mbaise and first philosophy student of Prof. Otonti Nduka, alongside scholars and community leaders.
Amadi Akujobi
Nation
Shell, MAN Back Rivers’ Drive for Expanded Gas Supply to Industries
The Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, in partnership with the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, has reaffirmed support for efforts to expand gas distribution infrastructure in Rivers State as part of initiatives aimed at improving access to affordable, cleaner and more reliable energy for industries across the South-South region.
The commitment was highlighted during the SNG–MAN Business Forum held in Port Harcourt, where stakeholders from the industrial and public sectors examined the role of natural gas in driving industrialisation, boosting local production and strengthening energy security.
Speaking at the forum on behalf of the Managing Director of Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, the company’s Head of Gas Distribution, Mr. Chukwuka Amos Ejesi, described natural gas as a critical component of Nigeria’s energy mix and a key driver of sustainable industrial growth.
According to him, Nigeria’s gas development agenda has reached a stage where policy direction must be matched with practical implementation capable of addressing the energy challenges confronting manufacturers.
He noted that pipeline gas offers industries a cleaner, more dependable and cost-effective energy alternative capable of supporting uninterrupted operations, reducing emissions and improving production efficiency.
“Gas is the backbone of manufacturing, and we are encouraged by the growing recognition among stakeholders of the need for cleaner and more reliable energy solutions,” he said.
Ejesi stressed the need for sustained collaboration among energy providers, government institutions and industrial stakeholders to maximise the country’s gas resources for economic development.
He added that improved gas infrastructure would strengthen manufacturing value chains, enhance productivity and promote more competitive industrial operations across Rivers State and the wider South-South region.
Participants at the forum also emphasised the importance of expanding energy infrastructure as a pathway to unlocking industrial capacity, reducing operating costs and promoting sustainable industrial development.
Representing Governor Siminalayi Fubara, the Director-General of the Rivers State Investment Promotion Agency, Dr. Chamberlain Peterside, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to partnering with private sector investors to revitalise industrial activities in the state.
He identified key projects targeted under the initiative to include the revival of the Ahoada Industrial Park, the New Port City project and the proposed Bonny Industrial Park, all aimed at stimulating economic growth and expanding industrial opportunities along the Bonny corridor.
According to the governor, the long-term vision is to position Rivers State as a leading manufacturing hub in Southern Nigeria through strategic public-private partnerships.
Governor Fubara also commended Shell Nigeria Gas and MAN for sustaining engagements geared towards improving industrial energy access, noting that gas infrastructure development remains central to the state’s economic recovery plans.
He further observed that the gas sector presents enormous opportunities for economic growth, especially as global energy systems continue to shift towards cleaner energy sources.
The governor called on stakeholders to work collectively towards developing a practical and sustainable gas framework capable of supporting the state’s industrial and energy development objectives.
Chairman of MAN, Rivers and Bayelsa Branch, Elder Vincent Okuku, described gas as indispensable to industrial operations, noting that many manufacturers continue to struggle with the high cost of alternative energy sources.
Similarly, President of the Port Harcourt Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture, Dr. Chinyere Ngozi Nwoga, said the transition to natural gas had become increasingly necessary for businesses seeking stable and cost-efficient operations.
“Pipeline natural gas provides a more cost-effective and reliable source of energy for industries,” she stated.
Also speaking, former Chairman of MAN in Rivers and Bayelsa States, Mrs. Emilia Akpan, stressed the need to align energy infrastructure development with investment in human capacity.
She maintained that rebuilding the state’s economy would require not only reliable energy supply but also the development of technical skills needed to support long-term industrial growth.
By Kevin Nengia
Nation
City Boy Movement Hails Onyesoh’s APC Primary Win
The City Boy Movement in Etche Local Government Area of Rivers state has commended Senator Allwell Onyesoh on his victory in the APC primary election for Rivers East Senatorial District.
Chairman of the group in Etche, Dr. Fortune Uchenna Obi, spoke to journalists in Okehi Ward after participating in Monday’s direct primary. He described Onyesoh’s emergence as the party’s candidate for the 2027 senatorial election as a reflection of the people’s will.
Dr. Obi said the senator has performed well during his first term and deserves re-election. He also thanked FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, leader of the Renewed Hope Agenda and Rainbow Coalition in Rivers State, for supporting Onyesoh’s candidacy. According to him, Wike’s backing was instrumental to the senator’s nomination, clearance, and victory at the primary.
He further praised voters in Etche and across Rivers East for turning out in large numbers at ward centers and urged them to sustain the support to ensure Onyesoh’s success in the January 2027 general election.
-
Editorial2 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation2 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics2 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Sports2 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Politics2 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
Sports2 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
-
Politics2 days ago
Primaries: Diri Lauds APC’s Unity, Cohesion In Bayelsa
