Nation
THE STATES
Adamawa
The Federal Government has been urged to enhance security at the commercial border town of Mubi in Adamawa to check the threat of armed robbers.
Member representing Mubi South Constituency, Alhaji Usman Lamorde, made the call in an interview with newsmen in Yola on Monday.
Usman spoke against the backdrop of last week’s day-light robbery at Mubi market in which four people lost their lives.
He said the people of Mubi were disturbed by the development and wanted security beefed up at the market area to forestall future occurrences.
Usman said Mubi, the commercial hub of Adamawa, had always enjoyed peace and growing commercial activities, adding that everything needed to be done to sustain the tempo.
Borno
The Borno State Government will put in place machinery to enlighten the public on the state of emergency declared by President Goodluck Jonathan on some areas of the state.
The Commissioner for Information Mr Inuwa Bwala told newsmen shortly after an emergency meeting of the State Executive Council that “Council met and deliberated on the declaration of the state of emergency.
“After brainstorming for some hours, council agreed on the need to educate our people on the development.
“Council stressed the need to disabuse the minds of our people on the misconception that all democratic structures have been removed,” Bwala said.
Ekiti
Ten inmates of the Ado-Ekiti Prison have been granted amnesty by Gov. Kayode Fayemi as part of the new year celebrations. They include eight males and two heavily pregnant female inmates of the prison.
A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr Olayinka Oyebode, said the two pregnant inmates, Bose Joseph and Omotosho Yetunde, were at advanced stages of pregnancy and there were fears that their prospective babies could suffer stigmatisation if allowed to deliver in the prison yard.
According to sources the two women were not involved in capital offences.
The statement said the eight other inmates had been under incarceration in the prison for between 12 and 14 years while awaiting trial.
FCT
A group, Youth Alliance for the Deregulation of the Downstream Oil Sector, has urged other Nigerian youths to embrace the removal of fuel subsidy which took effect on Sunday.
Addressing a news conference in Abuja, Mr Okechukwu Okorie, the coordinator of the group, urged Nigerian youths to avoid any form of protest as it would only lead to chaos in the already “tension-soaked country’’.
“Information reaching us reveals that some of the major cabals that are benefiting from the fuel subsidy are busy organising some disgruntled youths for a protest march.
“We want to sound a note of warning that if any Nigerian youth comes out on the streets of Nigeria, we shall mobilise youths to counter any protest march.’’
Gombe
Four shops were burnt and another destroyed by some hoodlums at Angwan Shamaki ward in Tudun Wada area of Gombe metropolis on Monday.
An eye witness told newsmen that the youths came from opposite directions around 5.30 p.m. and set fire on one of the shops, which later spread to the others.
The witness said the hoodlums fled immediately after setting the shop on fire.
Our correspondent learnt that the incident occurred shortly after some groups had allegedly clashed at the Central Mosque, Gombe, during which three people were injured.
Kano
Law enforcement agents have beefed up security in Kano metropolis, following a protest by some youths on Monday over the withdrawal of fuel subsidy by the Federal Government.
Our correspondent who went round the city reports that armed policemen had been drafted to strategic places to monitor the movement of people to prevent a possible break down of law and order.
Policemen were seen in vehicles patrolling some of the major streets.
Kebbi
Kebbi State Governor Saidu Dakingari has approved the construction of Kawara/Mairuwa/Goron-Dutse road in Suru Local Government Area at a cost of N4.1billion.
This was contained in a statement issued in Birnin Kebbi by the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Alhaji Abubakar Mua’zu.
According to the statement, the road which covers a distance of 16 kilometres will link five local government areas (LGAs) across the Rima River in the state.
“The road, which also has provision for the construction of four bridges along the Fadama landscape, is expected to link Suru, Bunza, Dandi, Koko-Besse and Bagudo LGAs, as well as parts of Niger Republic,’’ it said.
Lagos
A former President of the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA), Mr Olisa Agbakoba, in Lagos, has criticised the withdrawal of fuel subsidy by the government on January 1, calling it “an unpopular’’ decision.
Agbakoba told newsmen on telephone, that the government disregarded ongoing consultations with the different spectrums of the public on the matter.
“It is unfortunate. I am highly disappointed that government disregarded public outcry against fuel subsidy removal.
Niger
Authorities of Federal Polytechnic, Bida in Niger State, has expelled 11 students for various examination malpractices during its 2010/2011 academic session.
Alhaji Abdullahi Sule, the rector of the polytechnic, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Bida, Niger.
He said the students were caught cheating during the examination, adding that their cases were forwarded to the institution’s Exams Misconduct Committee.
Sule said that the affected students, who were on indefinite suspension, refused to appear before the committee to defend themselves on the allegation levelled against them which led to their expulsion from the institution.
Oyo
The National Council of Muslim Youth Organisations (NACOMYO) has condemned the spate of bombings and violence in some parts of the country.
General Secretary of the organisation, Alhaji Kamaldin Akintunde, in a statement in Ibadan on Monday had described the bombing attacks as ‘disastrous, painful, unfortunate’ and a bad omen for the country.
“Let me remind the sect that claimed responsibility for the bombings that attack on any place of worship is grievous and punishable.’’
He said the act was against Islamic prophetic tradition which forbids killing of innocent souls and suicide.
Akintunde urged the Federal Government to employ ‘radical and aggressive’ approaches to curb terrorism and insecurity in the nation.
Sokoto
A Sokoto-based politician, Alhaji Abubakar Yabo, has called on President Goodluck Jonathan to declare a state emergency in the security sector.
Yabo told newsmen in Sokoto on Monday that the measure would enable the Federal Government to apprehend and prosecute those sponsoring terrorism in the country.
He said that a well-articulated security network is required urgently to safeguard the nation’s hard-earned democracy.
He explained that the time had come for the government to set in motion a comprehensive security mechanism that would enable Nigerians put terrorism behind them for the overall political growth of the country.
Yabo, who is also the secretary of Aliyu Magatakarda Advocacy Group,called on the Federal Government to provide modern working facilities for all the nation’s security outfits.
Zamfara
Governor Yari of Zamfara State has directed his special advisers to relate with people and obtain feedback that can assist the administration in good governance.
Yari gave the advice recently in Gusau at the swearing-in ceremony of the 33 newly-appointed special advisers in the state.
“I urge you to relate with people and obtain feedback, which will assist us in making government policies and programmes that are more responsive to the yearnings and aspirations of the people”, Yari said.
He urged the advisers to always be guided by the oath of office, which restricted them from allowing their personal interests to influence their official decisions and conduct.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
