Connect with us

News

Gaddafi Should ‘Ve Been Spared –Zuma

Published

on

President Jacob Zuma of South Africa, says the slain former Libyan leader, Col. Muammar Gaddafi should have been captured alive to face prosecution.

Zuma told newsmen last Friday in Pretoria at the reception for the visiting President Obiang Mbasogo of Equatorial Guinea that Gaddafi had been on the warrant list of the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

He said,”given that there was a warrant of arrest against Gaddafi, those who found him should have arrested him and handed him to ICJ.

“There is a trend across the world where former leaders accused of injustice are not given an opportunity to stand trial in a court of justice.

“That is surprising. I think even those who accused him would have wanted to see him become answerable.”

He expressed the hope that the death of Gaddafi would lead to a cessation of hostilities and the restoration of peace in Libya.

He urged the Libyan National Transitional Council to begin in earnest, the process of building national unity and reconciliation, disarmament of all combatants and their reintegration into society.

In his remark, Mbasogo who is also the Chairperson of African Union (AU), said Africa was concerned with further political developments in Libya.

“The AU was looking forward to a situation where it would play a major role in helping to create a government that will be totally inclusive.

“It is believed that the lasting solution is possible through an all-inclusive political process that will culminate in the holding of the first ever democratic elections,’’ Mbasogo said.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu in his comment, said, “the manner of the killing of Muammar Gaddafi last Thursday totally detracts from the noble enterprise of instilling a culture of human rights and democracy in Libya.

“The people of Libya should have demonstrated better values than those of their erstwhile oppressors’’.

Mr Jackson Mthembu, the Africa National Congress spokesperson, said Libyans needed help in rebuilding their country after the devastation caused during the conflict.

“We are as convinced now as we were then that a peaceful approach would have saved many lives in Libya,’’ he said.

The Congress of South Africa Trade Unions also decried the way the media reported and broadcast the images of Gaddafi’s body.

The congress spokesperson, Mr Patrick Craven said, “this `triumphalism’ is an example of imperialist barbarism at its worst.

“The only force which has the right to overthrow a dictatorial regime are the Libyans, not the military might of imperialist powers whose sole concern is to safeguard and promote economic interests.

“Gaddafi should have been charged to ICJ, he should not have been executed in a manner that resembled cold-blooded murder.’’

In a related development, the African Union Commission Chairperson, Dr Jean Ping, urged the new Libyan authorities to immediately commence efforts that would ensure the fulfillment of the aspirations of all Libyan people.

Ping made the call in a statement issued in Addis Ababa in reaction to the killing of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.

“Today, more than ever before, there is the need for the new Libyan authorities to spare no effort in ensuring that those aspirations are fulfilled.

“From the onset of the crisis in Libya, the AU has called for, and tirelessly worked towards a solution that meets the legitimate aspirations of the Libyan people for democracy, respect for human rights and good governance’’, Ping said.

He reiterated AU’s conviction on the need for national reconciliation among all Libyans, in line with the stated commitment of the new Libyan authorities.

He said this would ensure stability and the establishment of viable, democratic and accountable institutions.

Ping further stressed the continuing commitment of the AU to support the Libyan people and to work with the new authorities towards genuine national reconciliation, respect for human rights and an inclusive transition leading to the establishment of a new democratic dispensation.

He said the Commission would soon establish a liaison office in Tripoli to be headed by a Special Representative.

“In line with the decision adopted by the Peace and Security Council (PSC) on 20 October 2011, the AU is taking steps for the early establishment of a liaison office in Tripoli to be headed by a Special Representative.’’

Ping said the step, together with the effective participation of Libya in the work of the AU organs, including the PSC, would go a long way in assisting the country to step up efforts aimed at completing all actions needed to bring about lasting peace, stability, security, development and democracy to Libya.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending