Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

Torrential rainfall which resulted to flooding have submerged several houses and bridges in some parts of Yola, the capital of Adamawa.

The rainfall, which lasted for seven hours, damaged houses and destroyed property worth millions of naira.

Our correspondent reports that the worst hit areas of the town includes Yolde-Pate, timber market, Damare, Shagari quarters, Wuro Hausa, Jambutu and Unguwan Tana.

At Yolde-Pate, some big culverts that linked the area with other parts of Yola town were submerged.

As a result of this, residents in flooded areas were stranded as they were unable to relocate to safer areas.

Bauchi

The Conditional Cash Transfer Programme of the Bauchi State Government for girl-child education has gulped N50 million within the last five years.

The Chief Coordinator of the Programme, Alhaji Karijo Buba made this known on Tuesday in Giade.

The programme is being undertaken in line with the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) .

Buba made the disclosure while distributing letters of invitation to participate in the programme to some selected girls in Darazo, Dambam, Giade, Kirfi, Zaki and Dass local government areas of the state.

Buba said that the programme commenced in 2007 with 260 schools in the six local government areas as a pilot programme.

According to him, 9,880 girls between the ages of eight and 15 years in 245 schools have so far benefited from the programme.

The coordinator said that each of the beneficiaries was being paid N5,000 per term to enable them finance their education within the five year period stipulated by the programme.

Borno

The Borno State Government will soon embark on the spraying of farmlands with chemicals to prevent their invasion by Quela birds and grasshoppers.

Alhaji Usman Zannah, the Commissioner of Agriculture and Natural Resources, made this known on Thursday when he visited the state’s chemical store in Dalori, Maiduguri.

He said that the government had already mobilised the technical staff and other workers of the ministry for the programme.

“We have already begun the mobilisation of the technical staff and others needed for the smooth take-off of the programme.

“The essence is to protect farmlands from the yearly attacks by the invading birds and grasshoppers,’’ he said.

Zannah said that the government was according priority attention to the development of the agriculture sector because of its enormous potential.

“Government believes the sector has great potential of ensuring food security and providing employment for the teeming unemployed youths in the state,” he said.

FCT

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) said in Abuja on Monday that it was set to carry out a major restructuring of political boundaries for the 2015 general elections.

Mr Kayode Idowu, Chief Press Secretary to INEC Chairman Attahiru Jega, made this known in an interview with newsmen.

Idowu said that consensus building and legislative work were crucial considering the intricacies surrounding the delineation exercise.

He noted that the exercise was expected to come with some major proposals and alignments that might shape the politics of the country.

Our correspondent recalls that INEC’s inability to carry out the delineation before April’s general elections was due to limited time available to the new leadership of the commission to prepare for the elections.

“If you understand the intricacies of delineation, it takes a lot of consensus building and legislative actions.

Kaduna

Mr Musa Tete, the Coordinator of World Bank’s N1.4 billion contract, awarded for the construction of 132 bridges in Kaduna State, says that the project is 80 per cent completed.

Tete, who oversees the Rural Access and Mobility Project (RAMP) in Kaduna State, made this known on Thursday, while speaking with newsmen in Kaduna.

He said that 112 river crossing bridges across the 23 local government areas of the state had been completed.

Tete said that 30 projects, including the construction of culverts and bridges, were still ongoing.

Lagos

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has urged estate management companies to immediately transfer all electricity distribution services to the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) distribution companies.

Mr Chijioke Obi, Manager, Legal Licencing and Enforcement of NERC, made the plea on Monday at an enlightenment campaign held for estate developers and Lagos residents.

Obi also urged the distribution companies to seek the commission’s approval for the regularisation of the power supply arrangement in the estates.

Ibrahim said that the commission would embark on enlightenment campaign for Nigerians and estate developers in the six geo-political zones to ensure prompt payment of their electricity bills.

The commission, he said, would also address all the issues and complaints from both the estate developers and residents on the newly introduced Multi-Year Tariff Order (MYTO).

Nasarawa

No fewer than 845 ‘ghost’ workers have been discovered in the Nasarawa Civil Service, with 325 other staff found to have overstayed.

This is contained in a report of a screening, verification and computerisation of payroll and personnel records of ministries, departments and agencies conducted in the month of August.

Presenting the report to Gov. Umaru Al-makura on Thursday in Lafia, the Chairman of the Committee, Alhaji. Shuaibu Ahmed, said that 21,405 staff were on the payroll of the state government with a wage bill of N1.93 billion before the exercise was conducted.

He said the 845 perceived ‘ghost’ workers were those who did not turn up for the screening or had no files and were collecting N62.9 million as salaries monthly.

Niger

The Niger State Government needs about N50 billion to boost its water supply in the next five years, the “Committee on Lasting Solution to Water Supply Problem’’ has declared.

The committee made this known in a statement issued in Minna by its spokesman, Mr Ilya Garba.

It said that the amount would be used for the development of the infrastructure, as well as for the operation and maintenance of water facilities.

It, however, said that due attention ought to be paid to the management of the water facilities across the state so as to achieve regular water supply to the citizens.

The committee said that the adoption of short, medium and long term measures to tackle the people’s water supply problems would reduce the hardship which the people faced in having access to potable water.

It also stressed the need to grant the water board greater autonomy to enable it discharge its responsibilities to the people without any hitches.

Sokoto

Alhaji Muktari Mapia, the Deputy Treasurer of PDP in Sokoto State, has urged the Federal Government to declare a state of emergency in Plateau to stop the cycle of killings going on there.

He made the call on Thursday, while speaking with newsmen in Sokoto.

He stressed that the declaration of a state of emergency was considered imperative because the state government had failed to find a lasting solution to the protracted ethno-religious crises in the state.

Mapia said that intensified security activity was needed to tackle the chaotic situation in Plateau, adding that it had the tendency of threatening the peace of the entire country.

He called on the government to make concerted efforts to restore order in Plateau, while bringing the perpetrators of the killings in the state to justice.

Zamfara

The new Chairman of the Zamfara State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Alhaji Murtala Jangebe, has ordered the suspension of all bank loans negotiated for teachers by the board.

Jangebe gave the directive in Gusau during a meeting with the education secretaries of the 14 local government councils in the state shortly after assuming duty.

He directed the board’s director of finance to write all commercials banks to stop any further action on the release of loans to the teachers.

The chairman warned that any bank which granted any loan in the name of the board as a guarantor would be doing so at its own risk.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending