Connect with us

Nation

THE STATES

Published

on

Adamawa

 

The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), has advised staff to partner with local communities and governments at all levels for the needed support to generate more revenue.

The Executive Chairman, Mrs Ifueko Okauru, gave the advice at the opening of the North East Region Enlarged Management and Town Hall meeting of the organisation in Yola.

Ifueko also called for the cooperation of states and local governments in the zone, to show commitment to off-setting all tax arrears within the shortest possible time and to avoid situations where arrears piled up again.

 

Bauchi

Governor Isa Yuguda of Bauchi State has approved N597,000 as maximum Hajj fare for intending pilgrims in the 2010 pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia.

Alhaji Ibrahim Ninge, the Permanent Secretary in the state Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, made this known on Saturday in Bauchi while addressing newsmen.

Ninge also said that the sum of N582,000 was approved as medium fare while N488,000 was approved as minimum fare.

He explained that each pilgrim in the three categories would be given 750 dollars, 1,000 dollars and 1,500 dollars respectively as Basic Traveling Allowances (BTA).

He called on intending pilgrims who had already made deposits with officials of the board in the 20 local government councils to complete the payment before July 28, 2010.

 

Benue

FRSC’s “Operation Eagle Eye” will this month focus on the violation of the over loading regulation, driving with worn-out tyres and non-possession of spare tyres nationwide.

Mr Osita Chidoka, the Corps Marshal of the FRSC, made the disclosure in Makurdi, on Friday, while flagging off the operation.

He said the FRSC would continue to invest in call centres and ambulance services to ensure safety on the road.

Chidoka, who was represented by Mr Bake Kwaga, the Zonal Commanding Officer in Markurdi, expressed readiness to involve mobile courts in the prosecution of erring traffic offenders on the spot.

Borno

The Borno State Government on Friday warned its pilgrims to Saudi Arabia to avoid prostitution, child labour and other negative vices.

“We have observed that some Nigerian women are of the habit of staying back in Saudi Arabia after the pilgrimage with the intent to engage in some activities that are negative in nature,”Hajiya Hauwa Mai-Musa, Commissioner for Women Affairs, said at Train-the-Trainer workshop in Maiduguri.

She was speaking at the North East workshop for women group on this year’s pilgrimage, added that some women also engaged in child trafficking to Saudi Arabia.

Mai-Musa said that rather than indulge in criminal activities in Saudi Arabia, the pilgrims should return home and engage in lawful businesses.

 

Ekiti

As part of its efforts to provide quality healthcare delivery, the Ekiti State Government is to redistribute more health workers to rural areas, Governor Segun Oni has said.

Oni said this on Friday, in Ado-Ekiti, when the people of Ilokun-Ekiti led by Onilokuno of Ilokuno-Ekiti, Oba Adebayo Jegede paid him a courtesy visit.

He said that the efforts would also combat the inadequacy in the number of qualified health personnel in the rural areas.

The governor noted that the inability of past administrations in the state to ensure fair play in the distribution of the available human resources in the sector led to the drought of qualified health workers in the rural areas thereby putting communities in the areas at a disadvantage .

 

 FCT

 Vice-President Namadi Sambo, has given an assurance that the execution of the Zungeru hydropower plant will be fully financed through appropriation.

He said this had become imperative in view of the fact that concessionary loans had yet to be sourced for the project.

Sambo made the disclosure at a meeting of the co-ordinating ministries, consultants, contractors and stakeholders handling the Mambilla, Zungeru and Gurara phase two hydropower projects at the State House.

The meeting was to address issues bordering on the provision of adequate hydropower supply in the country.

Kebbi

The National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) in Kebbi State plans to collaborate with the youth corps members to expand the scope of tree planting in the state.

Dr Kasim Ahmed, the agency’s coordinator in  the state, announced this  in Birnin Kebbi while addressing batch ‘B’ NYSC members posted to the state.

He said the agency would engage corps members posted to rural communities to embark on tree planting to protect the environment even as the agency would seek the cooperation of corps members to create awareness among the people on the relevance of tree planting and the need to discourage tree felling.

 

Lagos

 

An NGO, Gender-Based Violence Response Network (GBVRN) on Friday, in Lagos ,called for a multi-level approach to stem the spate of child sexual abuse in Nigeria.

Its Programme Officer on Human Rights Education, Miss Kate Ibeanusi, told newsmen that sexual assault and harassment of underage female children had become rampart.

 “The increasing reports of cases of child sexual abuse in the state are a worrisome development that needs urgent concerted efforts to stem the tide,’’ she said in a statement.

Ibeanusi disclosed that at least 24 cases were reported between April and June.

 

Niger

 

A Minna Chief Magistrate Court on Friday, sentenced one Ayuba Umar of Suleja town in Niger, to two years imprisonment with hard labour, for extortion.

Umar was convicted on a charge of extorting N72, 000 from one Patrick Marshal of Otunsha Hotel, Keffi in Nasarawa.

Umar was charged with “systematically extorting the money from the complainant after series of telephone calls threatening to assassinate him if he refused to cooperate’’.

The Police Prosecutor, Mr Ahmed Danladi, told the court that Umar committed extortion punishable with death under section 294 of the Penal Code.

He told the court that from May 9 to July 9, 2010, Umar called Marshal on phone consistently, saying that he was hired to assassinate him

 

Ondo

An official of the Ondo State Ministry of Women Affairs, Mr Adeyemi Sarumi, has called on the state government to introduce sex and moral education into the school curriculum.

Sarumi, who is also a supervisor in the state Motherless Babies Home, made the call while speaking with newsmen on Friday in Akure.

According to him, adequate sex education for children will facilitate prevention of unwanted pregnancies and loss of lives among youths.

He also called for sensitisation of adults on fami

ly planning and sex education, while students should abstain from sex to avoid unwanted pregnancies.

 

Osun

The Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile- Ife, authority has dismissed allegations of its involvement in a recent students’ clash in the institution as false.

During the clash, some students reportedly sustained injuries during the clash which erupted in the university on July 12.

Mr Abiodun Olanrewaju, the Public Relations Officer of university, told newsmen in Ile-Ife on Saturday, that it was the management that rescued some students from the spot of the attack.

Olanrewaju said that efforts were being made to reconcile the students with a view to restoring peace.

Meanwhile, a pressure group, the United Action For Democracy (UAD), Osun Chapter, has expressed reservations over the incident.

 

Sokoto

 The Sokoto State Government has awarded contract for the rehabilitation of the state Rima Radio at the cost of N120 million.

The Commissioner for Information, Malam Dahiru Maishanu, told newsmen in Sokoto, on Saturday, that the contract included the construction of perimeter fencing, rehabilitation of the entire structures and upgrading of the studios.

Maishanu said the project was aimed at giving the premier radio station in the north west a facelift.

He said the government had also embarked on projects worth N178 million to upgrade the state-owned newspaper company.

Yobe

The Yobe State Commissioner for Women Affairs, Hajiya Asmau Kolo on Friday, said 85 women master trainers selected across the state had been trained in five skill acquisition programmes for economic empowerment.

The commissioner made the disclosure to newmen in Babangida, Tarmuwa local government area, at the graduation of 35 women trainees from zone ‘A’.

She said that the women were trained on soap, cream, liquid soap, room freshner and balm making.

“The women are mostly housewives whose economic status is low. They have been trained to train others in their localities for a wider coverage on skill acquisition”.

 

Zamfara

The Zamfara State Government has introduced a dress code for female teachers in academic institutions in its bid to inculcate discipline in the education sector.

Alhaji Isa Maru, the Public Relations Officer of the Ministry of Education,  said in a statement that the state government was disturbed by the upsurge of indecent dressing among female teachers.

Under the new dress code, female teachers must be dressed in a reasonable outfit that could guarantee them respect, not only among staff and students, but by the general public. Isa said that, “henceforth, it is prohibited for any teacher to dress indecently, especially in ‘half-naked wears’ during school hours.

Continue Reading

Nation

Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway

Published

on

Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.

Continue Reading

Nation

UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.

Continue Reading

Nation

Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent

Published

on

The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending