Nation
THE STATES
Ogun
Ogun State Government says it has concluded plans to establish mini power plants that will generate 47 megawatts of electricity at N7.2 billion in the first quarter of 2010.
Governor Gbenga Daniel made the announcement in Abeokuta, while receiving a Chinese delegation and officials of CSI Nimbo Electrical Company, a manufacturer of power plants.
Gov. Daniel said government had concluded arrangements to send 20 public servants, including technicians, engineers and administrators to China to acquire necessary skills in the assemblage and management of mini plants.
Gombe
Gombe State Judiciary said it has disposed-off 17, 153 civil and criminal cases while 2,733 were still pending in the state high and Area courts in the year under review.
The State Chief Judge, Mr Hakila Heman, who disclosed this during the celebration of the 2009/10 legal year in Gombe stated that a total of 19,886 cases were registered in the last legal year as against the preceding year where 19,380 cases were recorded in the state.
Justice Heman said that 2,723 cases were still pending in the state high courts and courts of Appeal Seasons were held in Gombe Dukku and Kaltungo respectively.
He also said that the yearning of establishing registry courts in the state had been taken care of as the state judiciary had obtained the license to establish courts that would oversee marriage contract agreements in the state.
Kaduna
Kaduna state government has denied claims that it is marginalising the Southern part of the state, describing statements credited to some indigenes of the area as “bizarre and mischievous.”
Addressing journalist on the issue, Deputy Governor, Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa said all the actions of Governor Namadi-Sambo, do not harbour sectional, primordial or parochial interests.
Yakowa said despite pledges to develop all sections and all sectors of the state, the government takes special interest in providing social amenities in the southern part of the state as a way of fulfilling promises made by the Governor during his campaigns for gubernatorial seat in 2007.
Bauchi
The ill-health of President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, who is receiving treatment in far way Saudi Arabia, has taken a toll on the act of governance in Bauchi State as the Governor, Malam Isa Yuguda now shuttles between Abuja and Bauchi a development that has slowed down activities at the Government House over last couple of weeks, investigation has revealed.
The development, according to the investigation, was caused by the fact that Yuguda, like his Kebbi State counter part, is the son-in-law to the country’s first family, a situation that is already creating anxiety in the state capital.
While that is going on, investigations have revealed that some of the major projects embarked upon by the administration as soon as it came to power in 2007 including the Ningi Buna Road, Alkakri-Futuk Road as well as the State Secretariat (press centre) of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) have all been abandoned.
Kwara
Kwara State Governor, Dr Bukola Saraki yesterday denied recent media reports that he was owing the sum of N8.4 billion being outstanding debt of three companies allegedly linked to him.
The governor, in a statement by his chief press secretary, Mr Mas’ud Adebimpe, described the claim as frivolous, mischievous and a calculated attempt to mislead the unsuspecting public and drag his name into the mud.
The governor was reacting to a paid advertorial sponsored by a group called Renaissance professionals in some national dailies of Monday and Tuesday December 7 and 8, 2009, respectively.
According to the governor’s spokesperson, the group had alleged that Dr Saraki owned three companies Linkers Nigeria Limited, Skyview Properties and Joy Petroleum, which all enjoyed the controversial waivers from Intercontinental Bank Plc.
“To put the records straight, it is no longer news that Dr Saraki had resigned his appointment as a director in all companies where he had interests, including the two mentioned in the paid advertorials Linkers Nigeria Limited and Skyview Properties Limited just as he is not involved in the day-to-day operations of the two companies as portrayed by the faceless group.
“Neither the governor nor any member of his family was at any time whatsoever a shareholder or director of Joy Petroleum Limited,” the statement said.
“As regards the other two companies, we wish to state that Linkers Nigeria Limited, which was alleged to be owing the sum of N1.89 billion, has paid N1.7bn, which amounted to over 90 per cent of the loan,” the statement explained.
“Regarding Skyview Properties, the purported loan was a “margin facility,” which gave the total control of the management of the said shares, for which the loan was secured to the bank in addition to the value of the shares, the company went ahead to pay N343 million.
FCT
Senate’s proposal to establish a joint monitoring board of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate allegations of corruption against the anti-graft bodies, received the disapproval of the EFCC chairman, Mrs Farida Waziri.
The monitoring board, which the Senate Committee on Drugs, Narcotics, Anti-Corruption and Financial Crimes, is proposing to include in its amendment of the EFCC an ICPC Acts, according to Senator Solo Akinyede, chairman Senate Committee, would comprise secretaries of both agencies.
But speaking at a session on Wednesday, where she defended EFCC’s 2010, N7.68bn budget, Naziri stated that while she was not against being monitored, she warned that care must be taken to ensure that the proposed body does not create additional problems for the fight against corruption.”
Ogun
A lecturer at the University of Agriculture Abeokuta (UNAAB), Prof Philips Adetiloye, has urged the Federal Government to deregulate the salaries of public servants alongside the planned deregulation of oil sector.
Making the call at a news conference in Abeokuta, Adetiloye said it would amount to “dishonesty” if the government did not review the salaries and wages of the workers alongside the oil deregulation policy.
He argued that the only antidote to corruption in the public service and institutions was the payment of justifiable wages and salaries to workers.
Borno
The federal government has been accused of paying lip service to the proposed reform of the Nigerian Police even as the insecurity of lives and properties in the nation has been hinged on the need to have a “new” police.
This was the view expressed at the workshop organised by a pro-human rights group, Cleen Foundation in Maiduguri where the federal government was advised to be more committed to the proposed reforms of the Nigeria Police as the only alternative to move the force from its conventional policing to scientific one.
At the workshop which was to enlighten policemen on issues bordering on human rights, the deputy-executive director of the foundation, Oluwakemi Okonyodo said government ought to be serious and committed to the reforms of the police.
Lagos
In its bid to ensure a clean and healthy environment, the Lagos State Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Konsadem Consortium to develop the 1st Modern Integrated Solid Waste Management System in Lagos.
The Integtrated Solid Waste Management site according to the governor, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN), located in the Epe area of Lagos will be designed to accept a maximum 900 tons municipal waste daily.
Accordingly, the system to be established comprises of a material recovery facility where glass, plastics, paper and metal are processed for recycling.
In addition, a composting facility for the conversion of food scraps and green waste such as wood and foliage, into organic soil conditioners and a bale fill facility for storing all residual waste in an environmentally friendly manner.
Oyo
It was a weekend of sadness and agony in the camp of former Oyo State governor, Rasidi Ladoja as 19 persons believed to be his supporters perished along Ado-Awaye-Okeho road on their way to a funeral ceremony.
The victims included, former women leader of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Mrs Bose Adedigba, Hakeem Adokola, Tajudeen Afolabi, Toyin Adeyemi among others.
The former governor, devastated by the incident hurriedly returned home from a social outing and cancelled all forms of meetings and appointments in sympathy and condolence with the fallen aides.
Osun
Federal Government has mapped out a ten-year education plan as part of the commitment to restructuring and repositioning the educational sector in response to some identified challenges.
Speaking Saturday at the 37th Convocation of Obafemi Awolowo University, (OAU), Ile Ife, President Musa Yar’Adua, who was represented at the occasion by the Minister of Education, Dr. Sam Egwu, noted that the federal government will soon come out with strategies.
According to the president, the strategies which has been initiated was aimed at making the universities in the country globally competitive, and also make it more liberal and affordable.
Yar’Adua said in the short term, in addition to the increased statutory allocation of funds to education in the national budget, it has streamlined the educational Trust Fund to achieve enhanced focus on the education sector.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports1 day ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
