Connect with us

Business

49th Independence Anniversary: Nothing To Celebrate – Princewill

Published

on

The Action Congress (AC) leader in Rivers State, Prince Tonye Princewill has left to Turkey to conclude plans with a joint venture partner for a revolutionary waste management and disposal project.

Speaking to newsmen at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Ikeja last Monday, Princewill said the project when concluded would place Rivers State in the enviable position of cleanest state in the country.

The AC leader used the opportunity of the media parley to comment on a number of issues including the 49th Nigerian Independence anniversary which he said was noting to celebrate about.

He expressed sadness that the leadership of the country in the past ten years failed  to yield the much needed dividends of democracy while being fraught with anti-people polices that have destroyed the livelihood and psyche of majority of its citizens.

The AC leader noted that corruption has become he bane of our nation, while our roads death traps  and destroyers of vehicles and our education killed and buried as kidnapping has been introduced and established into our system.

He, however, commend the quality leadership offered by the great AC governors in the persons of Fashola and Oshionmole of Lagos and Edo State respectively and also gave kudos to the exceptional quality leadership of two PDP governor, Rt Hon Chibuike Amaechi of Rivers State and Alhaji Goje of Gombe State who despite their party have been able to provide remarkable dividends  of democracy   for their people.

Whilst fielding questions on the viability of the Soberekon Case to oust Amaechi from the Government House and the implications of the 28th September Supreme Court ousting Amaechi’s case before her on the polity of the State. The AC leader stated that Soberekon’s effort so far I am concerned is an exercise in futility. He reasoned that except Soberekon is being used as a tool to re-elect and probably prolong the tenure of Governor Amaechi, with the much work and the quality of leadership so far offered by Amaechi it will be very difficult to remove him from office.

He stated clearly, that if ever there was a clear case to remove PDP from office, it would have been during the AC’s battle against the legality of Omehia’s victory at the polls in 2007. According to Princewill, AC had a water tight case prepared by five SANs led by Kola Awodi. This he said, informed PDP’s resolve at the time to offer him a N1.2B to drop his case at the election tribunal, a request he promptly turned down. That AC’s case would have made Barr Osima Ginah our then Legal Adviser and currently the Commissioner of Urban Ministry in the State a SAN if we had progressed with it.

He went on to inform the press that his decision to withdraw his case at the tribunal came after he had closely observed Amaechi for two weeks following his Supreme Court victory. He debunked any claims that he had received any financial prodding in this regard. The AC leader went on to make some startling revelations concerning the intrigues that played out immediately after Amaechi’s Supreme Court victory. He stated that shortly after the announcement, Odili and his cohorts with financial incentives and evidence to substantiate the fact of PDP’s rigging of the 2007 polls approached him. All this is in the bid to keep Amaechi out of the Brick House and perpetrate an Odili Dynasty.

Reminded that Odili and Sekibo have concluded plots to hijack the AC Structure in the State to fight Amaechi in the forth-coming election; the Prince amazed at the short memory span of Nigerian politicians, wondered why Odili who in alliance with Obasanjo frustrated, hunted, humiliated Atiku Abubakar and forced him out of PDP in order for Odili, Obasanjo’s ‘godson’ to purse his deluded dream of becoming the President of Nigeria, will now want to use the Political structure founded by Atiku Abubakar to fight a populist Governor of Rivers State. “Though this attempt will be the biggest joke in Nigerian politics recently. We are waiting, let them come into AC and we will see who will give them the structure and once we indentify their accomplices in the party we will expose them to the world”.

Continue Reading

Business

Why The AI Boom May Extend The Reign Of Natural Gas 

Published

on

Artificial intelligence is often viewed as a catalyst for electrification and subsequently decarbonization. Yet one of its most immediate effects may be the opposite of what many assume. The rapid buildout of AI infrastructure is increasing demand for reliable power, and that reality could strengthen the role of natural gas and other dispatchable energy sources for many years.
Investors focused on semiconductors and software valuations may be overlooking a key constraint. AI runs on electricity, and those electricity systems operate within physical and economic limits.
The energy sector has spent much of the past decade grappling with slow load growth. That is now changing, in a way that is reminiscent of the sharp rise in oil demand—and subsequently price—in the early 2000s.
Training large language models and operating advanced AI systems requires enormous computing resources. Hyperscale data centers are expanding rapidly, with developers requesting gigawatt-scale interconnections from utilities. In several regions, electricity demand forecasts have been revised upward after years of flat expectations.
This shift is significant because AI workloads create continuous, high-density demand rather than intermittent usage. Data centers cannot simply power down when the electricity supply becomes constrained. Reliability becomes paramount.
Wind and solar capacity continues to expand, but intermittent generation alone cannot meet the firm capacity needs of AI infrastructure without significant storage or backup generation.
Battery storage is improving, yet long-duration storage remains costly at scale. Nuclear projects face long development timelines and complex permitting hurdles. Transmission expansion also lags demand growth in many regions.
These constraints make dispatchable power sources critical. Natural gas plants can ramp quickly, operate continuously, and be deployed faster than many alternatives. As a result, gas-fired generation is increasingly viewed as a practical solution for supporting AI-driven load growth.
This does not undermine the role of renewables. In many markets, new renewable capacity is paired with gas generation to maintain grid stability. The key point is that AI-driven electrification is likely to increase fossil fuel usage in the near term.
Construction timelines favor gas-fired generation when demand rises quickly. Existing pipeline infrastructure reduces barriers to expansion. And for operators of data centers, reliability often outweighs ideological preferences. Downtime is simply too expensive.
Utilities are also revisiting resource plans as load forecasts rise. That shift may drive increased investment in transmission, grid modernization, and flexible generation assets.
The Decarbonization Story Is Complex
A common narrative holds that AI accelerates the transition away from fossil fuels because it increases electrification. The reality is more nuanced.
If electricity demand outpaces the buildout of low-carbon capacity, fossil generation may still increase in absolute terms even as renewables gain market share. Total emissions could rise, but the carbon intensity of the energy system may trend lower as cleaner sources make up a larger share of supply.
Ultimately, energy systems evolve based on engineering and economics, not just policy goals or market narratives.
Rising power demand could benefit utilities investing in transmission and generation capacity. Natural gas producers and midstream companies may see structural demand support from increased power-sector consumption. Equipment suppliers tied to grid reliability and gas turbines could also gain from the shift.
Longer term, advances in nuclear, storage, or efficiency may change the trajectory. For now, the immediate response to surging electricity demand is likely to rely on technologies that can be deployed quickly and reliably.
Artificial intelligence may reshape the economy in profound ways. One of the least appreciated consequences is that it may extend the relevance of natural gas as the world builds the energy backbone required to power the next generation of computing.
By: Robert Rapier
Continue Reading

Business

Ogun To Join Oil-Producing States  ……..As NNPCL Kicks Off Commercial Oil Production At Eba

Published

on

Ogun State is set to join the comity of oil producing states in the country following the discovery and subsequent approval of commercial oil exploration activities in the Eba oil well, in Ogun Waterside Local Government Area of the state.
A technical team from the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) has visited the area as preparations are in advanced stage for commencement of commercial drilling operations in the state.
The inspection followed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s approval for commercial exploration, forming part of the federal government’s efforts to deploy the required technical capacity and infrastructure for production.
Officials of NNPCL carried out the exercise alongside representatives of the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) and national security agencies to evaluate the site and confirm its readiness for drilling activities.
The delegation was led by Project Coordinator for Enserv, Hussein Aliyu, who headed the NNPCL Enserv technical team.
Other members included Wasiu Adeniyi, Onwugba Kelechi, Engr. Rabiu M. Audu, Ojonoka Braimah, Ahmad Usman, Akinbosola Oluwaseyi, Salisu Nuhu, James Amezhinim, Yusuf Abdul-Azeez, Amararu Isukul and Livinus J. Kigbu.
Speaking, Governor Dapo Abiodun, described the development as a landmark achievement for Ogun State, saying “the commencement of drilling at Eba would stimulate economic growth, create employment opportunities and attract increased federal presence to the state’s coastal communities.
Abiodun also expressed appreciation to President Tinubu for his support toward the development of frontier oil basins and the equitable spread of the nation’s energy resources.
Recall that geological reports had earlier confirmed the presence of hydrocarbons within the Ogun Waterside axis, leading to preliminary surveys and technical engagements by NNPCL.
The Ogun State Government also carried out an independent verification of the oil well’s coordinates, affirming the discovery is located within the state’s boundaries.
To secure the project, naval security personnel have been deployed to the site for over 18 months, with the support of the Ogun State Government, to protect the facility and its environs.
The Eba oil well is regarded as part of Nigeria’s strategic move to expand oil production beyond the Niger Delta region.
Continue Reading

Business

OIC: NCDMB Issues NCEC Guidance Notes, Rules Out Transfer of Certificate

Published

on

Determined to speed up the Oil and Gas industry contracting(OIC) processes and weeding out firms lacking technical capacity to perform as well as reduce Nigeria’s cost of production, the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board(NCDMB), has issued the Nigerian Content Equipment Certificate (NCEC) application guidance notes with effect from December 2025.
The document which is available on the Board’s website – ncdmb.gov.ng, and on the NCEC application portal, forms part of concerted efforts to operationalize the Presidential Directives (PDs) on Local Content Requirements, which mandates NCDMB to take further steps to eliminate intermediaries in the contracting process lacking demonstrable capacity.
Emphasising that one of the key requirements for participating in the Nigerian oil and gas industry contracting process is the possession of NCECs issued by the NCDMB, the document states that unmerited possession or misapplication of the NCECs during tendering and bid evaluations contribute to contracting delays and admittance of unqualified intermediaries into the contracting process.
According to NCDMB, the goal of the new document is to “tackle cases of single and multiple NCEC applications not matched to capacities on ground, submission of fake or forged documents, under declaration of personnel, non-existent offices or equipment, and many other dubious applications.
A statement from the Board also states that the guidance notes will also enhance timely review and approval of applications from genuine service companies as the document provides all the requirements needed to complete credible application at first attempt.
The eight NCEC categories cover Manufacturing and Related Services (MS), Fabrication and Construction (FC), Construction and Moveable Equipment (EC), Services and Support (SS), Quality Control Inspection and Testing (QS), Non-Moveable Assets (DA), Procurement and Supplies (PS) and Consultancy Services (CS).
In the document the Board advised service companies to provide details of their specific service offering with sufficient supporting evidence while applying for any of the NCEC categories via the application portal.
Providing further explanation, the NCDMB stressed that it does not solicit or require any payment for the application, processing, or approval of NCEC or any of its certifications.
It added that in line with the Presidential directive on Local Content compliance, the NCDMB prohibits the use of agents, middlemen and third parties in raising and submission of NCEC application on behalf of service companies.
“Service Companies registered on the NOGIC-JQS are liable for any claims and documentations submitted in support of application for NCEC or any other NCDMB certifications using their assigned login in details.
”The document also indicated that companies and their subsidiaries or local partners cannot apply for or obtain NCEC as separate companies using the same facilities, equipment, assets, or documentation and NCEC is not transferable for use by another company.
“The guidance notes enjoined service companies to only apply for NCECs based on their core service area. Spurious applications contribute to delays in the processing of genuine applications. Cases that are determined to have constituted abuse of NCEC applications shall attract applicable sanctions.
“The NCEC notes also indicates that companies applying for multiple NCECs must have the capacities in terms of assets, facilities, equipment and personnel to execute the scope of activities under the target NCEC categories”, the document, according to the Board stated.
“NCDMB will carry out facility visits to ascertain the capacities and capabilities claimed by a company in multiple NCEC applications. NCECs are not granted in anticipation of establishment of local capacities but are approved based on functional equipment and assets with dedicated resources or utilities in place to operate or perform the services.
 “Applicants must be ready to demonstrate operability and availability of owned assets and equipment as may be required during facility visit by NCDMB team.
“Request for upgrade or addition of services, on approved, un-expired NCEC based on additional investment will be treated as new application and subjected to verification of all equipment and assets and documentation submitted in support of the modification”, the Board’s document added.
 According to the NCDMB, the document also stated further that applicants are expected to be upfront and intentional in the provision of the relevant and complete information required for timely review of their requests.
“The document also listed services which do not require NCECs. They include GSM service providers, commercial airlines, educational institutes, legal advisory services, public relations and events management, government agencies, and CSR projects with community vendors”, the Board noted.
Commenting on the guidance notes, the Executive Secretary of NCDMB, Engr. Felix Omatsola Ogbe, enjoined oil and gas stakeholders to study the guidance notes while applying for NCECs.
He warned that submission of forged, altered, or falsified documents constitutes a criminal offence and would attract legal consequences as well as the Board’s administrative punishments.
The Executive Scribe mentioned that the NCDMB had set target timelines for the review and processing of NCEC applications, with the portal providing timestamp of all activities and interactions undertaken from the point of submission of application and all reviews by the Board.
By: Ariwera Ibibo-Howells, Yenagoa
`
Continue Reading

Trending