News
Insecurity: US Assures FG Delivery Of 12 Super Tucano Aircraft In 2021
The United States Government has assured the Federal Government of its readiness to ensure that Nigeria takes delivery of 12 A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft in 2021.
This was even as the United States said it would train 60 Nigerian military pilots, instructors, and aircraft maintenance specialists over the span of 24 months.
The United States also said the Nigerian pilots would train on the same aircraft that they would fly in combat operations against insurgent groups and terrorist organizations.
The United States Secretary of the Air Force, Barbara Barrett, who visited Abuja from January 4 to January 5, 2021, gave the assurance on behalf of the United States Government.
The United States Diplomatic Mission to Nigeria, in a statement issued in Abuja, yesterday, said Barrett met members of the National Assembly and senior military officials at the Ministry of Defence during the visit.
The United States added that Barrett’s visit highlighted the positive trajectory of the military cooperation between the United States and Nigeria.
Part of the statement read, “Her discussions covered a range of defense and security matters of mutual interest, including the 2021 delivery of the A-29 Super Tucano aircraft. Secretary Barrett also toured the Defence Space Administration and initiated the first-ever collaboration between the U.S. and Nigerian defense space institutions.
“Secretary Barrett expressed the U.S. readiness to deliver twelve A-29 Super Tucano aircraft as scheduled in 2021. Along with the delivery, the U.S. will train 60 Nigerian military pilots, instructors, and aircraft maintenance specialists over the span of 24 months. The Nigerian pilots will train on the same aircraft that they will fly in combat operations against insurgent groups and terrorist organizations,” the United States said.
The United States further disclosed that during the visit, Barrett was briefed by the Ministry of Defence and the Nigerian Armed Forces on their continuing efforts to strengthen military professionalism through programs such as Air Ground Integration (AGI).
“Through AGI, the Nigerian Air Force plans to increase both its tactical and operational competencies. The training that enhances these competencies will also address the laws that govern armed conflict and respect for international human rights in ways aimed at reducing the risk of civilian harm.
“The Secretary also paid the first-ever visit by a senior U.S. official to the Defence Space Administration where she conveyed the importance of being ready to address the novel security challenges in space. Noting that the U.S. Space Force recently marked its first anniversary following its establishment last year, Secretary Barrett discussed with her Nigerian counterparts the opportunities for bilateral engagement as well as the necessity of developing a long-term vision for security cooperation in space.
“Secretary Barrett began her tenure as 25th Secretary of the Air Force on October 18, 2019. She leads the Department of the Air Force, comprised of the U.S. Air Force and U.S. Space Force. She is responsible for organizing, training, and equipping Air and Space Forces and for the welfare of 695,000 active duty, Guard, Reserve, and civilian Airmen and Space Professionals and their families.”
News
HYPREP Tightens Security At Project Sites
Following the rupture of the ground tank of its water facility in Ebubu Community in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State, the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has tightened security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
HYPREP, which dropped this hint in a statement signed by its Head of Communications, Dr Enuolare Mba-Nwigoh, said the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey had given the directive for security to be tightened across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
Mba-Nwigoh noted that the tightening of security across the project sites has become necessary to forestall interference with the facilities.
He further disclosed that following the rupture of the ground tank of the Ebubu water facility, a team led by HYPREP’s Director of Technical Services, Prof Damian-Paul Aguiyi has visited the scene of the incident to assess the situation, stressing that the water facility has been cordoned off for public safety.
The statement indicated that following the incident, HYPREP has henceforth barred non-project personnel and non-facility staff from gaining access into any of its active project sites in Ogoniland without authorisation.
While appealing to residents of Ebubu Community and the public to remain calm, the Head of Communications assured them that the Project is taking prompt steps to restore water to the community, saying, the cause of the unfortunate incident is being investigated.
He equally noted that the Chief Security Officer of HYPREP has been directed to immediately tighten security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
The statement said HYPREP is deeply concerned about the incident, stressing that despite the setback, the Project reiterates its commitment to delivering sustainable cleanup in Ogoniland.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
-
Niger Delta3 days agoBayelsa’s Aircraft Makes Inaugural Flight…As Lawmakers, Oil Minister, NDDC’S MD Hail Diri
-
Nation4 hours ago
Hausa Community Lauds Council Boss Over Free Medical Outreach
-
Nation4 hours ago
Film Festival: Don, Others Urge Govt To Partner RIFF
-
Nation4 hours agoOgoni Power Project: HYPREP Moves To Boost Capacity Of Personnel
-
Nation4 hours ago
Association Hails Rivers LG Chairmen, Urges Expansion Of Dev Projects
-
Rivers4 hours ago
UNIPORT Moves To Tackle Insecurity … Inducts Security Experts
-
Nation4 hours ago
Traditional Rulers Advise Khana Youths To Shun Politics Of Bitterness
-
Nation4 hours ago
Foundation Gives Scholarship, Working Materials To Pupils
