News
$22.7bn Loan: S’East NASS Caucus Cries Out Over Exclusion
The South East National Assembly caucus, yesterday, decried exclusion of the zone by the Federal Government’s borrowing plan of $22.7 billion, approved by the Senate on Thursday last week.
Lawmakers from the zone who were led by the former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, expressed concern that the Southeast region was completely out of template that warranted the Federal Government sourcing for $22.7 billion loan.
Speaking at a press conference, alongside members from the lower and upper legislative Chambers, he said they were under pressure from their constituents over the exclusion.
He explained that the caucus had engaged the leadership of both chambers, stressing that they were satisfied with the responses of the Senate President and the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
“Regrettably, last Thursday, Senate passed the borrowing plan which excluded the whole of Southeast.
“I like to use this opportunity to thank our distinguished colleagues who were present in the Chambers on that day especially Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe who made effort to get the matter addressed on the issue of equity.
“Most of us were not in Chambers. I was in Lagos for INEC retreat on electoral reforms, I want to commend him for effort he made during the conversation.
“So, we met as a caucus of the Southeast last night after consulting with our people to get their feelings and we decided that the best approach is constructive engagement with the leadership.
“So, this afternoon we engaged the Senate President and the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
“We are here to report that we had a meaningful discussion; they showed not just concern, but commitment in addressing the issues and we are satisfied with assurances that either the matter be revisited or as the House has not yet passed the motion, the appropriate thing be done so that our people’s fears can be assuaged.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
