Business
SON Destroys N480m Substandard Mobile Phone Accessories
The Standards Organisation of Nigeria has destroyed substandard mobile phone accessories worth over N480 million it seized from some importers.
The seized items were destroyed at the Lagos Waste Management Agency dump site along Lekki-Epe Road, Lagos on Tuesday.
Speaking with journalists at the site, the Director, Compliance and Directorate, SON, Obiora Manafa, who said the fake phone accessories were traced to a warehouse at Ojo, Alaba, Lagos, in December 2019 and were seized by the operatives of SON, added that the importers were still on the run but his men were on their trail.
He said the mobile phone accessories were fake versions of popular brands such as Samsung, Infinix, Huawei among others.
Manafa said, “We are here today to destroy some products that are dangerous and we do not want them to enter the markets.
“They are mobile accessories and they are fake of the major brands such as Samsung, Techno, Infinix, Huawei and lots of others. We seized these items late last year.”
He said SON had presented the items to the original brand owners but they denied ownership.
He said the importers had contravened the law by faking known brands, which he noted would have negative impact on the investment of the original brand owners.
Manafa said, “The safety aspect is that these accessories pose serious threat to the users. When we tested the insulation parameters of these products, they all failed woefully.
“The IEC standards of power states that the minimum power you get from these products should be 1000 mega ohms, but the values we got after testing gave only 60 mega ohms.”
Business
Two Federal Agencies Enter Pack On Expansion, Sustainable Electricity In Niger Delta
Business
Why The AI Boom May Extend The Reign Of Natural Gas
Business
Ogun To Join Oil-Producing States ……..As NNPCL Kicks Off Commercial Oil Production At Eba
-
Sports2 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports5 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business5 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured5 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports5 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports5 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports5 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
-
Business5 days agoExpert Tasks FG On Food Imports To Protect Farmers
