News
Clean Up: MOSOP Calls For Governing Council, BoTs
The Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People (MOSOP) has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to name members of the Governing Council and Board of Trustees (BoT) for the cleanup.
MOSOP spokesman, Mr Nsuke Felago made the call on Monday in Port Harcourt in an interview with newsmen.
He was reacting to the approval given by the president for the composition of the council and board for the cleanup.
It would be recalled that the Minister of Environment, Mrs Amina Mohammed, in a statement on Sunday said the president had given approval for the composition of the council and board for the cleanup.
Felago said that the Ogonis expect the president to name members of the board to take charge and drive the cleanup process.
“Yes, we are concern that the president has not named members of the council and board. We do hope that would not take another two months,’’ he said.
Felago, however, described the approval given by the president to constitute both governing council and board of trustees for the cleanup as a welcome development.
“We expected this to have happened before now. Remember during the launch of the cleanup, the president said that he had approved the board.
“We were expecting that the board would have been set up a week after the launch but we didn’t see that.
“Though the announcement is belated, we are happy that at last, we are having this board that will power the process,’’ the MOSOP spokesman said.
Speaking on the cleanup, Felago said that MOSOP and relevant authorities had already commenced discussion on the need to train the Ogoni people to enable them participate in the exercise.
“We expect that there will be training for our people so that so we can participate in the process,’’ he said.
Felago said the over 50 years of oil spill had destroyed the land. He called on government at all levels and oil giants to empower the people economically.
He said: “over 50 years of oil spill has destroyed the economy of the Ogoni people; particularly fish farming; there are no fish in our water any longer.
“The agricultural base been destroyed, the land is no longer producing. We expect that infrastructure would be rebuilt. We expect that schools will also be rebuilt.
“We expect that roads and hospitals would become functional; we expect that electricity will be available to power the system.
“We expect that water will be available for the people so that we do not continue drinking contaminated water.
“These are the things the government needs to do in consultation with MOSOP.’’
The spokesman said the Ogonis were committed to the cleanup and would not do anything to obstruct it.
He added that the Ogonis would work closely with all agencies that would be involved in the exercise.
“We have also commenced the process of educating the people on their expectations so that they know what to do and what not to do as the cleanup continues.
“We are talking with communities and community leaders; we are holding rallies in communities to tell the people what we expect; to tell them how they should respond to issues,’’ he said.
Meanwhile, a statement issued by the Director of Press, Federal Ministry of Environment, Alhaji Isiaka Yusuf, Monday, said “It has come to the knowledge of the Federal Ministry of Environment that some dubious individuals may use the opportunity of the project to extort money from the unsuspecting people of the Niger Delta communities.
“This includes the forgery of Federal Government Agencies letters,’’ Yusuf said.
He said since after the inauguration of the cleanup, the ministry had been consulting with the stakeholders in the Niger Delta with a view to ensuring a proper cleanup.
“Without doubt, we wish to state that the Federal Government in collaboration with other stakeholders in the oil industry is funding the project.
“It has not and will not authorise or contract individuals, groups and or organizations to collect money from the good people of the Niger Delta on behalf of the government for the purpose of cleanup of Ogoniland and other oil impacted communities in the Niger Delta region.
“In view of the foregoing, the ministry hereby warns that anybody, groups or organisations found extorting money from the people for the purpose of the Ogoniland cleanup project will be made to face the full wrath of the law,’’ Yusuf said.
He advised the general public to report anybody, group and or organisation collecting money from people for the cleanup to the police or any other law enforcement agencies.
“The ministry, therefore, takes this opportunity to reiterate the Federal Government’s commitment in ensuring the transparent and successful cleanup of Ogoniland,’’ he said.
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports18 hours ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
