Nation
THE STATES

Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi State (left) with the Editor-In-Chief of the Media Trust Ltd, Mr Mannir Dan-Ali, during his visit to the Governor in Birinin Kebbi on Tuesday.
Borno
The Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj.-
Gen. Lucky Irabor, has attributed his troop’s recent successes in the anti-Boko Haram war in the North-East to improved welfare by the Nigerian Army Headquarters.
Irabor disclosed this when he spoke with newsmen in Maiduguri.
“When you see a troop that is fighting and making the kind of progress we have made from January to date, it means that the troop is motivated.
“If the troop is not motivated it will not give you that type of result,’’ he said.
Irabor was reacting to speculations about delayed payment of allowances to some soldiers working in the theatre.
“In January when my predecessor Maj.-Gen. Hassan Umaru took over the command, his maiden briefing was on the delay in payment of allowances to soldiers.
FCT
Stakeholders under the auspices of Project Harmony, a
non-governmental organisation, have urged Nigerians to support the Federal Government’s fight against corruption and mismanagement of the nation’s economy.
This is contained in a communiqué issued at the end of a two-day National Conference on New Blueprint for Prevention, Resolution and Management of Conflicts.
The communiqué was signed by Mr Hassan Anka of Trade Union Congress (TUC) and Mr Nneka Ikelionwu of the Institute of Peace and Conflict Resolution, among others.
It stressed the need for encouragement of grassroots trade union leaders by their apex unions to avoid abuse of trade union immunity.
Kaduna
The Kaduna State Government said it would partner
with the Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals and other company to exploit the state solid minerals.
Governor Nasiru El-Rufai disclosed this in an interview with newsmen in Kaduna.
“We are working with several companies and the Federal ministry of solid minerals to exploit some of our solid minerals in Kaduna.
“For instance, we have a lot of gold in the Birnin Gwari axis and we have gone far in discussions with several companies to come and do that,’’ he said.
He said the state government was also looking at other precious stones in Southern Kaduna and granite and marbles in other parts of the state.
The governor said discussions were ongoing and that the state government would also meet other prospective investors at the economic summit.
Kebbi
The Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin Kebbi,
said it had sponsored 40 academic staff for post graduate studies within and outside the country in the last five years.
Its Rector, Alhaji Sani Aliyu, stated this in an interview with newsmen in Birnin Kebbi ,.
He said that 32 of the beneficiaries, including 12 doctorate and 20 master’s degree holders, had since completed their studies while the remaining eight were still pursuing their programmes at the various universities.
Aliyu said four of the beneficiaries had been “outstanding and worthy of celebration’’.
Kano
The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) said it
had sanctioned 15 filling stations in Jigawa and Kano States for various offences in the dispensing of petrol.
The department’s Controller in charge of both states, Alhaji Isa Tafida, made this known to newsmen in Kano after monitoring some filling station in the city.
He said that one of the erring stations was charged for breaking the seal of the department, in addition to the offence of selling above approved pump price.
Tafida said that the station paid fines of N1 million for breaking the seal in addition to N300, 000 for selling above approved price.
Lagos
The Iron and Steel Senior Staff Association of Nigeria
(ISSSAN) has advised the Federal Government to ensure that all legal issues that would affect the proposed revival of the Ajaokuta Steel Plant were settled amicably .
ISSAN President, Mr Otori Maliki, told newsmen in Lagos that the Federal Government should ensure that it settled any court case involving the company before restructuring it.
Maliki said that the steel plant stopped functioning since 2005 when it was sold to Global Steel, an Indian Company, during former President Olusegun Obasanjo- led administration.
He said that there were transnational irregularities at the rolling mill when it was privatised and those issues needed to be rectified before rebuilding it.
“Since 2007, the government has been in arbitration with Global Steel and Global Infrastructure Limited at the International Chamber of Commerce, (ICC) London.’’
Nasarawa
The Nasarawa State Government has revoked the con
tract for the construction of the new Orange Market bridge in Mararaba.
Governor Tanko Al-Makura made this known during the inauguration of TA’AL Community New Orange Market in Mararaba, Karu local government area of the state.
He said that the state government decided to revoke the contract following the inability of the contractor to meet the required specification and alleviate the suffering of traders and people plying the road.
Al-Makura said that the inauguration of the market would help to fight poverty, unemployment, youth restiveness as well as boost the socio-economic development of the state.
“Because of the slow pace of work and the inability of the contractor to meet required specification, the state government has no option than to revoke the contract,” he said.
Ogun
The Deputy Speaker, Ogun House of Assembly, Mr
Olakunle Oluomo, on Saturday, said the proposed Local Council Development Areas (LCDA) in the state would engender rapid socio-economic development.
Oluomo told journalists in Abeokuta that the bill was currently before the assembly, adding that when passed, would also promote efficiency and widen the revenue base of the state.
According to him, the LCDAs will bring efficiency in service delivery through redistribution of workers and enhanced revenue generation initiatives.
“The bill for a law to amend The Local Government Law of Ogun State, 2002, is currently before the house and we will do our bit to scrutinise it before passage,” he said.
Oyo
The Oyo State Government said that the 10-month old
agreement it had with organised labour in the state over unpaid salaries subsisted, warning them to refrain from confrontation.
This is contained in a statement signed by Alhaji Ismael Alli, a former Secretary to the State Government and leader of the government delegation which was made available to newsmen in Ibadan.
“We urge labour leaders to embrace dialogue and consultation instead of issuing threats and ultimatum of strike.
“As stakeholders they should brainstorm on how to bail the state out of its financial predicament,” it said.
Plateau
The Commandant, Police Staff College, Jos, Mr. Jo
seph Mbu, has called on Federal Government to rehabilitate police colleges ahead of the coming massive recruitment in the force.
Mbu, an Assistant Inspector-General, told newsmen that the recruitment would be worthless without better facilities in training schools.
It would be recalled that President Muhammadu Buhari recently approved the recruitment of 10,000 policemen in the country.
Mbu described the state of police colleges as “in utter decay’’, saying hostels, lecture halls and other necessary facilities in the colleges were in very poor conditions.
Sokoto
A member of Sokoto State House of Assembly, Alhaji
Ibrahim Kabiru (APC), has advised President Muhammadu Buhari not to relent in his fight against corruption.
Kabiru, who gave the advice in Sokoto in an interview with newsmen urged Buhari to ensure that all those found guilty of embezzling the national treasury were prosecuted.
He said that the insecurity challenges facing the country were as a result of corruption by public officers in the last administration.
The legislator urged the government to ensure that looted funds were recovered, adding that such funds should be used in rehabilitating ailing industries in the country.
Yobe
The Executive Secretary of the Yobe State Emergency
Management Agency, Alhaji Musa Jidawa, has advised response groups to work as partners rather than competitors to avoid duplication and wastes.
Musa told newsmen in Damaturu that the emergency response actors had constituted a forum to coordinate areas of intervention to avoid over- lapping and duplication.
Musa, who is also the chairman of the forum, listed the actors as the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the Red Cross, the World Health Organisation (WHO), UN Population Fund (UNFPA), World Food Programme (WFP), the UNICEF and Action against Hunger, among others.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports21 hours ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
