Connect with us

Sports

Fraud Office Probes World Cup Bid

Published

on

The Serious Fraud Office has been urged to reconsider its decision not to investigate allegations of Fifa corruption during the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process.
Conservative MP Damian Collins made the call after  media claims that former Fifa executive, Chuck Blazer recorded conversations with football officials at the London 2012 Olympics.
Russia would host the 2018 World Cup after England’s unsuccessful bid.
The 2022 World Cup would be in Qatar.
The SFO can investigate “cases which undermine UK commercial/financial PLC in general and the City of London in particular” and has been following bribery claims stemming from the December 2010 decision to award rights for the next two World Cups.
Fifa has already undertaken its own investigation into the corruption allegations, led by independent ethics investigator Michael Garcia.
American Blazer was a member of Fifa’s executive committee from 1996 to 2013.
On Sunday, the media alleged US FBI agents recruited Blazer by threatening him with arrest and prosecution for tax fraud if he failed to cooperate.
The media said  Blazer was supplied with a modified keyring that contained a tiny microphone in order to secretly record conversations with leading football officials during a visit to the London 2012 Olympic Games.
“If there is evidence that Chuck Blazer held meetings during the Olympics, that would come under the jurisdiction of the SFO,” Collins told Tidesports source.
“I want to see if they would now be prepared to act.”
Fifa declined to comment about Blazer when contacted.
Tidesports source has seen a letter from the SFO to Collins, sent before the allegations about Blazer were published, which said the crime bureau was watching corruption allegations “with interest”.
The letter added that the SFO did not believe it had the right to launch its own inquiry.
SFO director David Green told Collins: “The allegations that have occurred so far are against non-UK nationals and the alleged conduct took place outside of the UK.”
That could now change if reports of Blazer recording officials in London are accurate.
Green’s letter adds: “I can… assure you that the SFO will continue to keep the jurisdictional position under review.”
Collins wrote to the SFO in September asking it to seek access to the report produced by Michael Garcia.
Garcia spent 18 months interviewing individuals from nations wanting to stage the 2018 and 2022 finals – and wants greater transparency from Fifa.
But Fifa president Sepp Blatter said Garcia’s full report will not be published because of legal issues.
The information that will be eventually be revealed is now in the hands of Hans-Joachim Eckert, a German judge tasked by Fifa with deciding if any individuals breached the organisation’s code of ethics.
He is due to make an interim statement later this month, which may include redacted sections of Garcia’s findings.
Collins is concerned that information relating to claims made by former chairman of the FA Lord Triesman concerning alleged corruption could be contained within Garcia’s files but will not be made public.
Lord Triesman made a series of allegations concerning his time involved with England’s 2018 bid in evidence to a House of Lords committee in 2011.
Furthermore, Collins asked the SFO to consider whether evidence of any additional wrongdoing, which might fall under its jurisdiction, could be revealed by obtaining access to Garcia’s report.
In light of the SFO’s response and Chuck Blazer’s alleged role as an FBI informant, Collins believes Fifa must now publish Garcia’s findings and inform the relevant law enforcement agencies.
“If Fifa is sitting on evidence relating to acts of bribery and corruption, then it is more than just a football matter,” Collins said.
“It is unthinkable they wouldn’t reveal what they have.
“There are people who are stopping evidence being made available. You’ll have to draw your own conclusions as to why that is.”

Basket  ball players struggling for honour during a sports event in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, recently

Basket ball players struggling for honour during a sports event in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, recently

Continue Reading

Sports

Amusan places third in Diamond League opener

Published

on

World record holder Tobi Amusan finished third in the women’s 100m hurdles as the 2026 Diamond League season opened in Shanghai on Saturday, Tidesports source reports.

The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.

Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.

Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.

Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.

The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.

Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.

Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.

Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.

“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”

Continue Reading

Sports

Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly

Published

on

Nigeria’s Super Falcons will face Senegal in a double-header international friendly during the June FIFA women’s international window as the African champions step up preparations for the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations, Tidesports source reports. 

The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.

The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.

“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.

“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”

The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.

With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.

Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.

The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.

Continue Reading

Sports

Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye

Published

on

The organisers of the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race have announced the appointment of Dr Adebukola Bojuwoye as the head of the medical unit for the 11th edition of the prestigious event, scheduled for Saturday, May 30, in Okpekpe, Etsako East Local Government Area of Edo State.

Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.

As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.

His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.

In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.

The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.

The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.

It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.

Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.

Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.

We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.

Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.

It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.

The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.

The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.

Continue Reading

Trending