Connect with us

News

‘Emergency Rule Alien To Adamawa’

Published

on

A cell phone dealer at the Jimeta Shopping Complex, Yola, Mr Boda Kassim, on Saturday said that the state of emergency imposed on Adamawa was alien to the people of the state.
Kassim made the observation in Yola in an interview with newsmen.
He said the emergency and communications shutdown in the state had seriously affected cell phone dealers to the extent that some of them had stopped opening their shops.
He said that before the emergency, the traders used to receive a significant number of customers daily, but with the emergency and the communication shutdown, they found it difficult to sell a single cell phone in a day.
Mr Audu Zira of Zira Communications, a dealer of GSM recharge cards on Ahmadu Bello Way, Jimeta, said he had more than 2,000 customers across the state who usually purchased cards from him.
According to Zira, the communication shutdown has seriously affected their business.
Commenting on the importance of the emergency rule, he said:  “initially I supported the emergency thinking that it will not last long as it was introduced based on security challenges.
“But now the situation has crippled our business and we have nothing to do because we learn that the emergency was imposed on the state by Mr President,” Zira said.
He also appealed to the authorities to look into the peoples’ needs and ease the situation.
However, Mr Augustine Mako in Numan Local Government Area, said the emergency should continue until the security situation was normal.
“I used to remember that sometimes back there was crisis and killings of innocent lives in Adamawa, even in churches and markets.
“And what is happening now in the state in respect of the state of emergency should still go on for the time being.”
According to him, if the security operatives feel that the challenges are over, they should go ahead and lift it.
Meanwhile, business and other activities are now in full gear in Damaturu, Yobe, two months after the declaration of emergency in the state.
The Federal Government had declared a state of emergency in Yobe, Borno and Adamawa states to contain the activities of Boko Haram terrorists.
A correspondent of the News agency of Nigeria (NAN), who went round the state capital on Friday and Saturday, reports that activities at the markets within the city were in top gear as traders and customer were fully engaged in selling and buying.
Similarly at the Central Motor Park along Potiskum Road, hundreds of passengers were seen boarding vehicles to various parts of the country.
Our correspondent also reports that popular bus transport companies from around the country have also resumed operations from the city.
Speaking to newsmen, the Chairman of the Bus Section of the National Union of Road Transport Workers, Alhaji Usman Saleh, said he was happy that the situation in the state was normalising.
“In recent days, we have been recording influx of passengers travelling to different parts of the country and we sometimes run short of vehicles to convey the passengers,’’ he said.
He said that his members were not facing any problem with the security agents deployed to the state, adding that there was a mutual and cordial relationship between them and the security.
Alhaji Usman said that the union understood that certain measures had to be taken to ensure that security of lives and property in the state and had been cooperating with the authorities to ensure smooth operations.
“Personally I am in total support of maintaining check-points on the streets as well as the withdrawal of GSM services in the state as this will help check the activities of the insurgents,’’ Saleh said.
Also traders and customers who spoke to newsmen yesterday at the market said that they were delighted with the remarkable improvement in the security situation in the state.
“We now operate fully and we do not entertain much fear of attack as we used to,’’ a tomato seller, who declined to give his name, said.
Similarly all the banks in the capital have fully resumed their operations as customers were seen in many banking halls transacting businesses.
Commenting on the security situation in the state, the Special Adviser on Information and Media, Alhaji Abdullahi Bego, thanked the Federal Government for the declaration of the emergency, which he said saw to the deployment of more soldiers to the state.
He said that the state government would continue to assist the security agents to ensure the success of their assignment.
Also speaking to newsmen, the Joint Task Force Commander in the state, Col. Ibrahim Ali, said that the task force was able to achieve relative stability in the state since the declaration of emergency.
He said that there was no major encounter with the insurgents since the declaration of the emergency.
He thanked the people of the state for assisting his team with useful information which had led to the arrest of many suspects.
Our correspondent reports, however, that the state is still on a dusk to dawn curfew to enable the security agents curtail the activities of the insurgents.
Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said it has embarked on the distribution of food items to people affected by the insurgency in the state.
The Agency’s Zonal Coordinator for North East Zone, Alhaji Muhammed Kanarr told newsmen in Damaturu that already it has distributed the relief materials in Damaturu, Potiskum, Bunu Yadi,Gaidam and Babban Gida towns, while distribution in Macina, Yunusari and Gashua will follow later.
Kanar said that item distributed included rice, millet, sorghum and beverages, adding that the distribution was targeted at women and children.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending