Connect with us

Business

Electronic Monitoring Of Pipelines Underway – FG

Published

on

The Federal Government has said that plans were underway to commence electronic monitoring of pipelines and other facilities channeling gas to power plants across the country.
The Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, who made the announcement in Ikorodu, near Lagos on Saturday, said the measure was to curb incessant pipeline vandalism.
He was speaking at the inauguration of the new 220 megawatts turbine at the Egbin Power Plant.
Nebo blamed vandals for the Federal Government’s inability to meet previously anticipated power generation targets.
He said that government was also planning to enlist the Nigerian Air Force in the joint task force team set up to provide aerial surveillance for pipelines.
The minister said that electricity generation would increase significantly in the next four years, disclosing that power generation was currently standing at 3, 600 megawatts, due to gas shortages.
According to him, power supply in Nigeria is mostly based on gas with about 70 per cent gas-fired turbine while 30 per cent is hydro based.
“When we have a holistic energy mix, things will get much improved, oil thieves and vandals who break into our pipelines make it difficult for Nigerians to even benefit from what this government has done.
“We have far larger capacity installed than the power we are giving out because of gas supply, which is being taken care of. More forces are being deployed.
“Electronic gadgets are being installed to ensure that at any point of disruption our security forces will know and know how to forestall it.”
Nebo said that government’s desire for Nigerians was to ensure stable power supply, noting that measures were being put in place to ensure steady power supply.
“The commissioning of this unit is a clear demonstration of the wisdom of President Goodluck Jonathan administration’s commitment to the reform and development of the power sector.
“The power sector is beginning to see the impact of the privatisation of the generation and distribution assets to the benefit of Nigerian electricity consumers.
“With this new unit, the new owners of Egbin Power Plant have accomplished the commendable feat of bringing the power plant back to its original installed capacity of 1,320 megawatts.
“The ability to wheel this power from the generation stations on to distribution companies rests with the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN).
“This has been strengthened by the private sector participation of Canada’s Manitoba Hydro International as the management contractor.
“TCN has the mandate of not only upgrading the existing transmission infrastructure but also to embark on new transmission projects to expand capacity around the country.
“Federal Government has graciously approved huge capital investment to enable TCN to realise the vision for a more robust higher capacity transmission network in the country.”
He said that Otorogu and Pan Ocean Power Plants would be back on stream by today bringing additional 90 million standard cubic feet of gas.
The minister said that major pipelines, the Trans Niger Pipeline and the Trans Forcados Pipeline were hacked into multiple points.
He said that this resulted to production losses as well as drop in power generation as the plants were starved of gas supply.
Nebo, however, said the situation was now under control as generation capacity gone up again to above 3, 600 megawatts, Nigeria’s highest capacity till date.
The minister said that vandalism had become one of the biggest challenges faced in the energy industry in general.
He said that the problem had resulted to colossal losses running into millions of dollars in crude oil and gas production losses as well as power generation shortages.

Continue Reading

Business

Boat Mishap Kills Pastor, Wife And Church Members  In Brass Water

Published

on

A boat accident in Bayelsa state has killed a serving Pastor, Wife and other church members along Brass waterways
The sad incident happened at Odioama in Brass local government area of Bayelsa State when the Pastor, wife and  members of his church were in a programme.
?
?Tide confirmed that the lifeless body of the Pastor’s wife has been found and deposited in a mortuary while the remains of her husband ,the Pastor is yet  to be recovered
as search party are still ongoing.
Although the real cause of the boat Mishap is not yet known as at the time of this report,  our Correspondent gathered  that the identities of the Pastor, wife and church members were not disclosed to the public.
The mishap, Tide gathered occurred on Friday morning when the church members were on a boat transit
The Bayelsa State government and the state police command are yet to issue official statement’s  on the sad accident
By: CHINEDU WOSU
Continue Reading

Business

Rivers Workers Seek Scrapping Of Contributory Pension Scheme

Published

on

The Rivers State Council of  Nigeria Civil Service Union has called on the State Government to urgently scrap the contributory pension scheme, describing it as unfavourable to long-serving civil servants in the state.
Chairman of the union, Chukwuka Osuma, said this in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt,  recently.
Osuma said the current pension structure has continued to worsen post-retirement hardship for workers.
He noted that  the contributory pension scheme had failed to provide adequate retirement security for workers who had spent many years in service, especially those approaching retirement age.
According to him, civil servants who had served for more than 20 years were among the worst affected under the scheme, insisting that many retirees could no longer cope with prevailing economic realities.
He also  informed that the Union has made moves to showcase their concerns, pleading with Governor Siminalayi Fubara to abolish the pension policy and introduce a more favourable arrangement for affected workers.
“The union was not opposed to pension reforms, the contributory scheme should only apply to newly employed workers or those with fewer years in service”, he said.
Osuma explained that workers who had already spent decades in the civil service ought to remain under a more secure pension structure capable of guaranteeing stability after retirement.
The labour leader further noted that inflation and the rising cost of living had continued to erode the value of retirement savings, thereby increasing the suffering of pensioners across the country.
He also appealed to the state government to consider extending the years of service in the civil service from 35 to 40 years and the retirement age from 60 to 65 years.
Osuma argued that such adjustment had become necessary in view of present-day economic realities and changing conditions in the workplace.
The unionist also reviewed that similar policies had already been adopted in some sectors and jurisdictions, expressing optimism that the State could also implement the reforms for the benefit of workers.
He however, commended Governor Fubara for approving an N85,000 minimum wage for workers in the state, noting that the amount was above the national benchmark of N70,000.
Osuma also acknowledged the government’s efforts in the area of workers’ promotions and bonuses, but insisted that pension reforms and extension of years of service remained critical to the long-term welfare and stability of civil servants in Rivers State.
By: King Onunwor
Continue Reading

Business

FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank

Published

on

The Federal Government has launched the South-West zonal engagement and ministerial advocacy tour on the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria share capital mobilisation, sensitisation and cooperative sector digitalisation.
 Reports say the initiative was launched through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security.
According to reports, the advocacy tour, organised by the ministry’s Federal Department of Cooperatives, began on Monday in Lagos.
Speaking at the event, the Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Security and Supervising Minister of Cooperative Affairs, Dr Aliyu Abdullahi, said the initiative was part of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.
Abdullahi described the exercise as a strategic effort to reposition the cooperative sector as a key driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity.
“Today represents a defining moment in our collective determination to reposition the cooperative sector as a major driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity,” he said.
The minister noted  the modern cooperative movement in Nigeria originated in the South-West following the 1934 Strickland Report, which led to the enactment of the Cooperative Societies Ordinance of 1935.
According to him, the decision to commence the sensitisation and share capital mobilisation tour in the region is symbolic, as it marks a return to the roots of cooperative development in the country.
Abdullahi said the advocacy tour was a direct outcome of resolutions reached at the 8th Regular Meeting of the National Council on Cooperative Affairs held in Abuja in March 2026.
He said the council approved the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme, a comprehensive framework designed to strengthen the cooperative sector and align it with the administration’s goal of building a one-trillion-dollar economy.
“The reform programme focuses on seven strategic pillars, including governance reforms, cooperative financing and the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria, digitalisation, capacity building, value chain development, inclusion of youths, women and persons with disabilities, and strategic partnerships,” he said.
He said the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria and the digitalisation of the cooperative sector were the two major transformational initiatives under the programme.
“The Cooperative Bank of Nigeria is aimed at rebuilding a strong cooperative financial system capable of supporting cooperators, farmers, artisans, traders, SMEs, youths, women and persons with disabilities with accessible and affordable financial services,” he said.
Abdullahi emphasised that the proposed bank would be government-enabled but not government-funded.
“Government is not establishing the bank as an owner, nor will it rely on Treasury Single Account funds.
“The role of government through the FMAFS is to provide policy support, stakeholder coordination, regulatory facilitation and an enabling environment under the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme,” he said.
Also speaking, the Lagos State Commissioner for Commerce, Cooperatives, Trade and Investment, Mrs Folashade Ambrose-Medebem, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to cooperative sector transformation.
She described cooperatives as critical tools for promoting inclusive growth, grassroots productivity, food security, financial inclusion and community wealth creation.
Ambrose-Medebem said Lagos State would continue to support reforms and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure the successful implementation of the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme (2025–2030).
“Together, let us build a cooperative ecosystem that is modern, transparent, digitally enabled, financially inclusive and globally competitive.
“Let us build cooperatives that not only mobilise savings, but also mobilise prosperity,” she said.
Continue Reading

Trending