News
Protesters Seal NLNG Office In Rivers Over Fisherman’s Death
Protesting residents of Ogu/Bolo in Rivers State have sealed the premises of the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) along Amadi-Ama in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, following the death of a fisherman on the waterways.
The protesters, under the aegis of Concerned Ogu/Bolo residents, along with the mother of the deceased alleged that the company’s vessel sank boats belonging to fishermen and destroyed their fishing nets along the NLNG sea routes, resulting in the death of 27-year-old Precious Imabibo, who was fishing on the river on January 20, 2024.
Following the protest, staff of the company were forced to beat a retreat as they could not access the company’s gate due to the presence of the irate youths who had sealed the entrance and refused any entrance.
Also, travelers ferrying through the NLNG jetty to Bonny Island were stranded as they could not embark on their journey due to the protest which has continued for two days running.
The protesters said the company’s vessel sank boats belonging to fishermen and destroyed their fishing nets and other implements along the NLNG sea routes resorting to the death of a fisherman identified as Precious Imabibo on the 20th January 2024.
Leader of the protesters, Samuel Diamond, while speaking to newsmen at the scene, yesterday, said since the incident, the company has not done anything to the respite of those who suffered losses.
Diamond alleged that the company had turned down all avenues for dialogue, adding that a series of letters to get the attention of the company has not been responded to.
He vowed that they would not open the company’s gate until their demands were met, noting that the company has refused to enter into a proper agreement with the community on how their vessels would be plying the sea routes without causing havoc.
Diamond stated, “We have written them (NLNG) series of letters, we even wrote a letter to the community Development Committee of Amadi-ama after our first protest on January 29, but they have not done anything.
“We now wrote a letter to the Rivers State Commissioner of Police and the police invited us through the State Intelligence Department, they also invited them (NLNG) but they refused to come.
“We even wrote to the Inspector General of Police and Amnesty International to come to our aid because NLNG cannot be operating here and their activities are killing our people.
“We are going to remain here until NLNG does the needful, even if it will take us one week. We will not only block here, we will block the route of the waterway.”
On her part, the mother of the deceased, Blessing Imabibo, expressed annoyance over the attitude of the NLNG over the death of her son by keeping mum since the incident eight months ago.
The woman said she had been sick since the passing of her son, adding that the deceased was the only helper she had, and that the company has remained insensitive to her plight.
She stated, “This boy was the one helping me. So for somebody to take something very precious to one’s life is very bad and the way the company treated me was not good at all.
“I have been going from one police station to another, nothing has been done. My son died on January 20 and he would have been 28 years old in March if he was alive.”
But NLNG, in a statement by its General Manager, External Relations and Sustainable Development, Andy Odeh, said it was aware of the protest, saying the relevant stakeholders are being engaged towards an amicable resolution of the issue.
Odeh further said the NLNG places priority on the safety and care of its people and host communities, even as he called for calm while awaiting the outcome of the Nigerian Police probe into the matter.
The two-paragraph statement entitled, ‘Protest At NLNG Corporate Head Office’ read, “Nigeria LNG Limited is aware of a recurrence of a protest at its Corporate Head Office in Port Harcourt by a group claiming to represent the family in an incident allegedly involving an NLNG chartered passenger boat along the Amadi Creek in January 2024.
“NLNG confirms that relevant stakeholders are being engaged towards an amicable resolution. The company places a premium on the safety and care of its people and host communities, and calls for calm while awaiting the outcome of the Nigerian Police probe into the matter.”
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Sports2 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Environment2 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics2 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Politics2 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics2 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics2 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics2 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports2 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
