Connect with us

Niger Delta

Navy Launches New Strategy To Combat Oil Theft

Published

on

The Nigerian Navy has lunched “OPERATION DELTA SANITY” to further combat crude oil theft and other criminalities in the nation’s maritime space.
The Chief of Naval Staff (CNS), Vice Adm. Emmanuel Ogalla, flagged-off the Operation on Wednesday at the NPA Jetty, Warri, Delta State.
The Tide’s source reports that “Operation DELTA SANITY” replaces Operation DAKATAR DA BARAWO.
In his remark, the CNS said Operation Delta Sanity was timely, considering the renewed effort of the Federal Government toward attaining sustainable development of Blue Economy.
He said Operation DAKATAR DA BARAWO was launched in April 2022 to stern the tide of crude oil theft.
Ogalla said the menace of crude oil theft and illegal bunkering had constituted a substantial threat to the nation’s economic prosperity.
“As at December 2021, Nigeria’s crude oil production had fallen from 1.579 million barrels in 2020 to 1.197 million barrels.
“This loss was attributed to pipeline vandalism, crude oil theft and operation of Illegal Refining Sites (IRS).
“Accordingly, no effort should be spared in combatting oil theft which constitutes a grave national security threat”, he said.
The naval chief continued that it was on this premise that the Operation DAKATAR DA BARAWO was launched.
He said during the operation, the Navy engaged in kinetic and non-kinetic initiatives across the Niger Delta.
The Naval chief said this led to arrest of several vessels and crude oil and refined products.
“These include the landmark arrest of MT HEROIC IDUN in Aug. 22, which prevented the theft of about three million barrels of crude oil.
“A total value of over N105 billion worth of crude oil and illegally refined petroleum products were seized during the operation.
“As a result of the Operation DAKATAR DA BARAWO, as at September 2023, Nigeria’s crude oil output rose to 1.35 million barrels per day, from about 1 million barrels per day.
“It peaked at 1.57 million barrels per day in October 2023. It is my singular honour and privilege to terminate Operation DAKATAR DA BARAWO and Flag-off Operation DELTA SANITY.
“I wish all the officers and ratings of participating units fair winds and following seas”, he said.
The CNS said the Blue Economy initiative of President Bola Tinubu sought to maximise the Nation’s potential by deriving optimal benefits from Nigerian Maritime Environment for economic prosperity.
He said the initiative beholds on the Navy to rejig the ongoing anti-crude oil theft, anti-illegal bunkering and related operations.
Ogalla said the Navy conducts its military, policing and diplomatic roles in line with its constitutional mandate.
He said the Navy policing role encompassed enforcing and assisting in coordinating the enforcement of anti-bunkering laws of Nigeria.
The naval chief stressed the need to ensure greater integration of Maritime Domain Awareness facilities, and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles to enhance situational awareness of the Area of Operations.
He said renewed strategy on environmentally sustainable handling of seized products, and arrested vessels had been reconstituted under Operation DELTA SANITY.
“The operation will incorporate complimentary kinetic and non-kinetic measures to consolidate the successes of the Operation DAKATAR DA BARAWO in the Niger Delta area”, he said.
He charged all participating commands, units and establishments to strive towards realising the desired operational objectives of Operation DELTA SANITY.
“I seek the support of concerned Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) as well as maritime stakeholders to ensure the success of this Operation.
“I believe that all hands will be on deck towards achieving the desired objectives of this Operation.
“This would foster the much-desired economic recovery and development of our great nation”, he said.
The naval chief thanked Tinubu for his continuous support to the Nigerian Navy.
Also speaking, Governor Sheriff Oborevwori of Delta State thanked the Navy for the new initiative and promised to offer support.
Oborevwori was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Kingsley Emu.
In a remark, Sen. Heineken Lokpobiri, the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources (Oil) thanked the Navy for ridding Nigeria’s maritime environment of crimes.
He said the Navy made giant strides in its maritime policing efforts in line with its constitutional mandate, especially through prevention of oil theft and others.
Hr urged all participating units and formations to vigorously, and sincerely pursue the desired operational objectives of Operation DELTA SANITY.
“I equally solicit the support of all stakeholders and partners to the Navy so that we can derive optimal benefits from this noble initiative”, he said.
The CNS also inaugurated a building project at the premises of the Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Delta.
In attendance were Rear Adm. Olusegun Ferreira, Commander, Joint TaskForce (JTF), Operation Delta Safe (OPDS), Minister of Defence, Bello Matawalle represented by Director of Navy, Dr Raji Ogunsola, Commander, NNS Delta, Commodore Chindo Yahaya.
Others are Mr Austin Oruoye, member representing Warri South Constituency, representatives of other military and para-military among others.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Oborevwori Launches Medical Outreach For Children With Special Needs

Published

on

The Wife of Delta State Governor, Mrs. Tobore Oborevwori, has launched a free medical outreach for children with special needs in Delta South.
The event, which attracted scores of caregivers, medical professionals, and government functionaries, took place at Dom Domingos College, Warri.
It was organised by the governor’s wife’s pet project, “You Matter Charity Foundation”, in partnership with the State Ministry of Health.
In a speech at the event, Oborevwori said the initiative sought to promote public awareness about autism and other notable infants’ developmental conditions.
She said the programme also aimed ”to eliminate stigma and encourage inclusion of persons living with disabilities.”
According to her, the outreach is structured to cover the state’s three senatorial districts.
She noted that the programme took place earlier in Ughelli, Delta Central, where beneficiaries received medications and assistive devices, including educational materials to support learning among children with special needs.
Oborevwori, who thanked residents and local government chairmen in Delta South for their cooperation, also commended the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Joseph Onojaeme, and medical teams for their dedication to the success of the programme.
She admonished parents and caregivers to continue to show patience, compassion, and understanding towards children with special needs.
The Tide’s source reports that health workers from the ministry and Primary Healthcare Development Agency participated in the programme.
In her remark, the Director-General of the foundation, Mrs. Lawrentta Ogbedo, said the outreach would reduce financial pressure on families that have children with special needs.
She underscored the importance of early diagnosis and consistent medical attention for such children.
The Chairman of Warri South LGA, Mr. Isaac Agbateyiniro, thanked the governor’s wife for the initiative, and described her kind intervention as ”timely and beneficial to struggling families”.
Also, the Chairman, Post Primary Education Board, Mr. Samuel Mariere, applauded the foundation’s effort in extending support to children with special needs in society.
Mariere said the programme had provided hope and practical support to many households.
The source reports that the event featured free medical consultations and treatment for children.
Also, health experts delivered talks on autism awareness, care strategies, and social acceptance.
Participants were also enlightened on the legal protections against discrimination for persons with disabilities.
Other highlights included the distribution of wheelchairs, medications, and assistive materials, among other items, to the beneficiaries.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

UniCal Commits To Nursing Education Dev In C’River 

Published

on

The Vice Chancellor, University of Calabar (UniCal), Prof. Offiong  Offiong,  has reiterated the institution’s commitment towards supporting the growth of nursing education in the state.
Offiong, who made the statement recently in Calabar when members of the Basic Nursing and Midwifery Sciences Certificate Affiliation Committee visited him in his office, said as a federal university located in Cross River State, the institution would remain committed to the development of the state and the wellbeing of its residents.
The Vice Chancellor said UniCal would strategically collaborate with the state government to ensure improved healthcare education, professional training and standards.
“I commend the state government for expanding nursing institutions, this development has stimulated youth interest in health-related careers.
“We shall revisit the affiliation process to ensure compliance with national and international academic standards,” he said.
Offiong continued that curriculum review, adequate academic staffing and strict quality assurance measures would be given priority attention in the process.
He urged the state government to provide logistics support to students undertaking clinical postings in health facilities.
Leader of the delegation, Dr. Henry Ayuk, congratulated Offiong on his appointment as the Vice Chancellor of the university.
Ayuk, who’s also the Commissioner for Health in the State, commended the university for its contributions to the growth of the health sector.
He said the Bassey Otu-led government was committed to deepening collaboration with the university in order to strengthen nursing education and healthcare delivery.
The team leader expressed optimism that the partnership would boost professional training, institutional development and healthcare outcomes in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Agency Demolishes Illegal Roadside Structures In Delta N8 by … Clears Street Traders

Published

on

The Delta State Capital Territory Development Agency has commenced the removal of illegal roadside structures and street traders across Asaba.
The enforcement drive targeted areas where traders and makeshift stalls have taken over roads, walkways and drainage channels.
Speaking during the exercise, the Director-General of the agency, Mr. Patrick Ukah, said the action was necessary due to the growing safety concerns caused by unchecked roadside trading.
Ukah said the action formed part of a broader urban renewal programme aimed at improving sanitation, reducing traffic congestion and enhancing road safety.
He noted that the activities had disrupted traffic flow and exposed motorists and pedestrians to avoidable dangers.
According to him, the agency’s action is not directed at individuals but aimed at restoring order and enforcing existing regulations.
Ukah warned that the agency would not tolerate activities that deface the capital or threaten public safety.
He reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to maintaining a clean, safe and orderly capital, saying a well-managed Asaba remains vital to the image of the state and its development.
Urging affected traders to relocate to approved government markets across the city, Ukah said the operation would continue and might be extended to other locations if violations persist.
Major locations affected include Akpu Junction, Marble Hill Junction, and the Arcade near Ogbeogonogo Market.
The Tide’s source reports that in addition to dismantling illegal structures, the agency intensified sanitation efforts along major roads.
Special attention was given to the Mammy Market and Traffic Light axis of Asaba to sustain cleanliness.
The agency’s Head of Environment, Mr. Isaac Nwosu, said the teams would ensure compliance and prevent a return of illegal roadside activities.
Nwosu called on residents and traders to support the agency by adhering to environmental regulations.
Continue Reading

Trending