News
Gabon Junta Frees Ousted President Ali Bongo
Gabon’s military coup leaders have freed the deposed President Ali Bongo and allowed him to travel abroad for medical reasons.
The junta spokesperson, Col. Ulrich Manfoumbi, made this known in state television last Wednesday, according to CNN.
Bongo has reportedly been held under house arrest since the coup in the Central African nation in late August.
“Given his state of health, the former President of the Republic Ali Bongo Ondimba is free to move about. He may, if he wishes, travel abroad to receive medical check-ups,” junta spokesperson Col. Ulrich Manfoumbi said on state television, reading a statement from transitional leader Gen. Brice Oligui Nguema.
The transitional leader, Gen Brice Oligui Nguema-led junta, also released images showing Bongo greeting Abdou Abarry, head of the United Nations Regional Office for Central Africa, at Bongo’s residence in the capital Libreville.
The deposed Gabonese leader has been rarely seen since the coup. Shortly after his overthrow, a video surfaced of him appealing to supporters to “make noise” after military officers placed him on house arrest.
“The people here have arrested me… I’m in the residence… I don’t know what is going on,” he said in the footage.
Bongo, 64, suffered a stroke in 2018 and spent months outside Gabon, receiving treatment in Morocco, raising questions about whether he was fit to continue as president, triggering an unsuccessful coup in 2019.
He had been in power for 14 years since succeeding his father, Omar Bongo, in 2009 and sought another term in last month’s disputed elections.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
