Connect with us

Niger Delta

Bayelsa Elders Hail Diri On Infrastructure Development …Governor Slams APC Candidate On Angiama-Oporoma Bridge Comment

Published

on

The Bayelsa Elders Council (BEC) has given thumbs up to Governor Douye Diri for the developmental strides of his administration.
The elders expressed satisfaction particularly with infrastructure projects embarked upon by the Prosperity Administration in the state.
They gave the commendation during their meeting on Thursday in Yenagoa, which was attended by Governor Diri.
Chairman of the BEC, Rear Admiral Gboribiogha John Jonah (rtd), in his remarks, described one of the roads among others constructed by the administration as the best in the state.
He said: “The dualized Glory Drive is one of the best roads in town today, which was not affected by last year’s flood.
“The other day l was coming from Nembe and l saw that the Igbogene-AIT ring road is almost complete. One important road that touches me is the Nembe-Brass road that you are undertaking.”
Jonah, an engineer and immediate past deputy governor of the state, also lauded Senator Diri ‘s efforts in the education sector.
He however urged the government to explore ways of developing the power sector as it has been liberalized to improve power supply and also reminded the governor on the issues of stipends and land allocation for their members.
Responding, Governor Diri expressed appreciation to the elders for the support and encouragement to his administration, its policies and programmes, and assured that their support would not be taken for granted.
The state’s helmsman restated his commitment to infrastructural transformation of the state, particularly on the capital-intensive three senatorial road projects.
He disclosed that the completed Glory Drive project would be inaugurated before November this year and the contract for the second phase to link Onopa would be awarded.
On the issue of security and the ban on commercial tricycles at night, he thanked the elders for supporting government’s decision, saying the policy has helped a great deal to reduce criminal activities in the state.
Diri disclosed that there has been tremendous pressure on him to lift the restriction on tricycles but said the ban will remain as the newly launched taxi cabs and buses would operate during the day and at night.
“I like to applaud our elders for working with government towards ensuring the security and development of Bayelsa. Security cannot be 100% perfect across the whole world. With your support, our security has improved to an appreciable level. That is why we established the Bayelsa State Community Safety Corps and we will soon introduce its riverine component.”
On comments made by the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and former governor of the State that the government was constructing a metal bridge across the River Nun at Angiama to link Oporoma, Governor Diri said it was unfortunate and smacked of ignorance.
He explained that the structure was a temporary bridge, which aids the company facilitate the construction of a solid bridge across the river.
His words: “I like our elders to know that we are constructing a solid and not a metal bridge across River Nun. The temporary metal bridge hosts every heavy duty equipment of the construction company with which they are now launching the bridge being built.
“It is unfortunate when people speak out of ignorance, especially a governorship candidate who had been governor of this state; deceiving people that we are constructing a metal bridge to link Oporoma.”
On the issue of flooding and erosion, the governor advocated the dredging of rivers as well as a comprehensive state-wide study on how best federal and state governments should address the twin problems simultaneously.
He also suggested that the federal government build dams to check flood waters, stating that it was not enough to always issue flood alert to states.
Diri said his administration had almost completed rehabilitation works on failed portions of some roads impacted by last year’s flood along the Sagbama-Toru-Orua axis of the Sagbama-Ekeremor toad as well as the Amassoma and Opokuma roads.
The governor further stated that he raised the issue of flooding and its impact at the National Economic Council meetings where it was agreed that each geo-political zone should come up with a road project to be handled by the federal government.
He said the South-South governors chose the East-West road for the federal government to take immediate action.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending