News
Police Confirm Arrest Of Two Suspects Over Attack On US Embassy Officials
Operatives of joint security task force have arrested two suspects in connection with the killing of the officials of the United States Embassy in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State.
The Anambra State Commissioner of Police, Echeng Echeng, made the disclosure at a press conference at the command’s headquarters in Awka, the state capital, yesterday.
Echeng said the suspects were arrested after joint security forces, comprising police tactical teams, Nigerian Army, and Nigerian Navy raided a camp in Ogwuanaocha community of Ogbaru, which was suspected to be the hideout of the assailants on Wednesday, May 17.
He disclosed that nine U.S. Consulate personnel from Lagos were involved in Tuesday’s attack which claimed seven lives at Ogbaru area of Anambra State.
Echeng listed the persons as: Jefferson Obayuwane, Sunday Prince Ubong, Ekene Nweke, Hassan Etila, Avwuvie Kaye Monday, Bukar. A. Kabuiki, Emmanuel Lukpata, Friday Morgan, and Adamu Andrew.
It was gathered that out of the nine victims, seven were killed and set ablaze in their vehicles, while two others were kidnapped.
Echeng said the deceased included four men from Squadron 23, Police Mobile Force Lagos: Inspectors Bukar Adams K., Friday Morgan, Adamu Andrew, and Emmanuel Lukpata.
The police commissioner blamed the attack on the members of the Eastern Security Network (ESN) and proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), adding that efforts were on to track the location of the gunmen.
He said: “Information about the incident was received by the police command in Anambra through an official of the consulate at about 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
“Consequently, a joint team of mobile policemen and troops of the Nigerian Navy stationed in Onitsha was immediately deployed to the area.
“Upon arrival at the scene of the incident, the joint security team sighted and engaged the assailants in a shoot-out but they escaped through a nearby forest.”
Giving more details, Echeng said further preliminary investigation by the command revealed that five male officials of the U.S. consulate and four armed mobile police escorted from Lagos were on a mission to assess the impact of erosion in Ogbaru before they were ambushed.
“Regrettably, seven persons, including three of the consulate officials and four mobile police escorts were murdered during the attack while two other officials of the consulate are yet to be found.
“The deceased police officers include Bukar Adams, Friday Morgan, Adam Andrew, and Emmanuel Lupata,” he added.
Echeng said the remains of the deceased had been recovered and deposited in a morgue, adding that the State Police Command and other security agencies were working round-the-clock with the Anambra State Government to rescue the missing officials.
He appealed to the public to provide information about the identities and locations of the culprits, to assist the police.
Echeng also condoled with families and friends of the victims as well as the U.S. Consulate over the tragic incident.
“On behalf of the Anambra State Police Command, I wish to seize this opportunity to condole the families and friends of the deceased persons, as well as the USA Consulate over this tragic incident.
“May I assure you all of the resolve and determination of the command and other security agencies to track down the perpetrators of these heinous crimes and bring them to justice”, he said.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
