Connect with us

News

Terrorism: Military Set To Prosecute 886 B’Haram Fighters … Rescue 180 Chibok Girls As Over 82, 237 Surrender In 15 Months

Published

on

The Nigerian military said it has concluded arrangement to prosecute over 886, radical fighters of the Boko Haram terrorists group as the counter insurgency war has continued to yield very positive result in its renewed operations to wipe out terrorism in the country.
This is just as another 323, terrorists ex-combatants who willingly give up their arms to embrace peace are currently undergoing the Federal government program on De-Radicalisation, Demobilisation and Rehabilitation (DDR), in Gombe State.
Theatre Commander, North East Joint Operation, HADIN KAI, Major General Christopher Musa, who made this known, said over 82, 237 terrorist’s and their families have so far surrendered to troops in various locations in the north east since July, 2021.
Musa, who described the 886 detained Boko Haram terrorists as “hardened”, said arrangements have been concluded to transfer them to Giwa Project at Kainji, in Niger State, for prosecution.
He also said total 180 out of the 276, kidnapped Chibok school girls in 2014, have been rescued while 96 of the girls are still unaccounted for, adding that soldiers have so far rescued 2,018 abducted persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children in last one the year.
Theatre commander spoke through the Acting Theatre Intelligence Coordinator, Colonel Obinna Azuike, while briefing journalists on the successes so far recorded in the ongoing counter insurgency operations.
He said a total of 1,893, terrorists are currently being detained at the Giwa Centre.
According to him, “Out of the surrendered persons, 16,577 were active male fighters, 24,499 are women, while 41,161 are children.
He said so far over 2,018 abducted persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children have been rescued by troops in last one the year.
He said, “Information obtained from detailed debriefings of the surrendered terrorists are being continually factored into the operations of the theatre. Such debriefings are routinely undertaken as more fighters continue to surrender in their numbers.
“Also, the commencement of a comprehensive Disarmament, De-radicalisation, Rehabilitation and Reintegration programme by the Borno State Government, in conjunction with International Organisations and Op Safe Corridor, will positively encourage the surrender of more persons and will be a catalyst to the ongoing peace process.”
Giving an update of the number of the kidnapped school girls from Government Secondary School,Chibok, so far rescued by soldiers, the theatre commander said: “Troops of OPHK have within this year alone, rescued 11 of the abducted 2014 GGSS,Chibok girls. The first of the girls, Hauwa Joseph, was intercepted along with her child at Ngazua in Bama on June 12, 20 22 by troops of OPHK.
“Secondly, Miss Mary Dauda was rescued along with her child at Gava in Gwoza LGA of Borno State on June 14, 2022, by own troops.
“Similarly, on June 27, 20 22, the third Chibok girl, named Ruth Bitrus, and her child escaped from Ukuba BHT camp in Sambisa and was rescued by own troops in Bama.
Continuing, Musa, said “On July 25, 2022, troops also rescued two Chibok girls, named Kauna Luka, and Hanatu Musa with their children at Aulari in Bama general area.
“Also, the sixth Chibok girl, named Aisha Grema (pregnant) with her four year-old child, was rescued by troops in Bama on August 12, 20 22. Aisha Grema hails from Mbalala village in Chibok LGA.
“The seventh Chibok girl to be rescued this year was FalmataLawal and her child who was rescued by own troops in Bama general area on August 30, 2022. Miss FalmataLawal hails from Chigi village in Chibok LGA.
He said, “On September 1, 2022, troops also rescued Miss Asabe Ali and her child who escaped from a BHT camp in Gazuwa, Bama LGSA.
“Also, the ninth Chibok girl rescued was Miss Jinkai Yama along with three of her children in Bama on September 2, 2022.
“Additionally, Miss Yana Pogu was the tenth girl rescued along with her four children, while Miss Rejoice Senki was rescued with her two children”.
He said “The rescued girls were handed over to the Borno State Government after comprehensive medical examination and initial provision of psycho-social support from the theatre.
“The statistics of the 276 abducted Chibokschool girls indicates that 57 girls escaped in 2014, 107 girls released in 2018; three recovered in 2019; two recovered in 2021 and 11 girls rescued so far in 2022.”
He said “This brings to a total 180 Chibok girls out of captivity, remaining 96 girls still unaccounted for. At present, over 2,018 persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children have been rescued from terrorists’ captivity within the year.
“The Theatre Command OPHK will continue in its quest to rescue other persons held in captivity.
“Additionally, the centre is currently partnering with the Lake Chad Basin Support Programme to establish a database for the preservation of battlefield evidence, forensic investigations, and capacity building for personnel.
“This would address the inherent challenges associated with the prosecution of suspected terrorists. Also, the centre has introduced basic education and skill acquisition programmes for minors and adult detainees in a bid to keep them engaged, useful and valued.
“Physical training exercises and the ability to re-establish and restore family links with their loved ones is also being conducted in the centre, in conjunction with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
“These developments have yielded very positive results among the suspects and equally attracted commendations from other partnering organisations.”
Speaking on the humanitarian conditions at the holding centres, he said, “The current humanitarian situation across the holding centres has remained relatively calm since the cholera outbreak of September this year.
“The epidemic resulted in the death of 62 men, 44 women and 96 children, bringing to a total of 202 deaths.
“Nevertheless, the situation has since been brought under control, with efforts from the state Ministry of Health and several NGOs in the state”.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending