News
PHED Rakes In N5.2bn In One Month …Targets Revenue Recovery From 70,000 Debtors …To Metre More 10% Customers By Dec
As part of efforts to achieve the tripod pillars of increased revenue growth, standardisation of processes, and efficient people and performance management on which its core values stand in line with global best practices, Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Plc, has raised its revenue collection to N5.2billion in August from N4.3billion in July, 2022.
This shows an increase of N900,000,000, representing a leap of approximately 20.94percent in revenue collection over a 30-day period in its franchise four states of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, and Rivers.
The revenue collection falls short of the N7.4billion value of bills submitted to customers across the value chain in the franchise states in August, alone.
This also means a daunting shortfall of N2.2billionn in revenue collection against projected target, which the company attributed to the resistance of some energy consumers in communities and cities, including private and public sector organisations, to pay electricity bills as at when due.
Managing Director of PHED, Dr Benson Uwheru, who revealed this feat at his maiden parley with media executives in Port Harcourt, last Friday, said the success recorded was in fulfillment of part of Federal Government’s desires for implementing the restructuring of the power sub-sector, last July.
Uwheru also said that the improved performance could not have been possible without the dedication and commitment of management and staff of PHED as well as the confidence, support and cooperation of customers and other stakeholders.
He, however, lamented that despite the sterling performance, no fewer than 70,000 customers have refused to pay for energy consumed over the last six months.
While appealing to all stakeholders to support and cooperate with PHED to accelerate steady electricity supply to customers, Uwheru quickly reminded energy consumers reluctant to pay bills that when both parties fulfill their obligations, there would be more electricity to drive industrialisation, boost job creation, enhance social and economic development, and promote peaceful coexistence, just as it also helps reduce poverty, crime rate and violence in the franchise states.
The Tide recalls that in early June, 2022, the energy distribution company had raised the alarm that consumers in Rivers State alone were owing the company more than N16billion on defaults from bills payment, just as it regretted the rising spate of attacks on PHED staff, vandalisation of facilities, energy theft and metre bypass.
But expressing optimism that things were beginning to turn around for the better, Uwheru said that with a determined management team, motivated workforce, and a customer base that was increasingly showing understanding following sustained sensitisation and awareness on the need to pay for energy bills, a more congenial atmosphere to facilitate electricity supply that meets rising demands would soon emerge.
He said that to achieve the energy for all goal set by the Federal Government, PHED has targeted to install pre-paid metres for no fewer than 10percent of the outstanding 40percent unmetred customers by December, 2022, adding that the company had earlier metred 60percent of its unmetred customers in the four states.
Uwheru further said available records show that PHED had metred 100percent of customers allocated to it by the Federal Government in the phase zero of the pre-paid metring regime, and expressed confidence that the company would be given its pride of place in the anticipated phase one of the metre manufacturers (MAP Vendors) scheme under the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission-supervised National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP) to enable it meet the expectations of the over one million unmetred customers.
The Tide investigations show that 4Power Consortium Limited, owners of PHED, had inherited a huge profile of about 800,000 unmetred customers from Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) in November, 2013, a culmination of 14-year power reform policy, and immediately launched an aggressive pre-paid metering campaign across its franchise states.
In 2020, it procured and distributed 79,000 pre-metres to customers who had indicated interest to transition from analogue to pre-paid metering structure; and in 2021, PHED procured more than 400,000 new pre-paid metres for distribution to customers, to reduce the demand-supply gap.
Out of that number, PHED had installed more than 149,000 pre-paid metres in homes and offices of desiring customers as at June, 2022, and targets to close the gap more with installation of pre-paid metres for over 10percent of the remaining enumerated unmetred customers by December.
On standardisation of processes and optimisation of performance, Uwheru said that a new technology App that meets global best practices has been developed and would soon be deployed to ensure simplified and seamless bills processing and payment system and guarantee fairness to all in the value chain.
The managing director also listed massive vandalisation of facilities in communities and huge energy theft as well as metre bypass by the rich and poor across all PHED franchise states as some of the major challenges confronting the energy company, and appealed to the media and other key stakeholders, including state and local governments, community leaders and security agencies to partner PHED to achieve set goals.
Between 2019 and June, 2022, the management embarked on proactive redistribution of more than 10 feeders; repaired over 300 transformers; procured and installed over 30 new transformers; and installed more than 10 automatic circuit reclosers to boost and balance electricity supply to customers, who are connected to electricity through more than 10,000 transformers in the network.
In all, PHED imported many 2MVA to 1000MVA transformers to boost distribution capacity; installed, replaced and/or repaired 59 distribution substations; replaced poles; cables of various sizes and types; installed conductors and risers; installed a 60MVA substation at Rumuosi in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area; and concluded talks for bilateral agreement with the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) and First Independent Power Company Limited (FIPC) to evacuate 100MW and 20MW electricity, respectively, within the franchise area.
It also intervened by supporting the rehabilitation of facilities of Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), to ensure uninterrupted power supply to its valued customers.
On people’s management, Uwheru noted that on assumption of duty in July, he initiated working visits to all security formations in the franchise states, adding that the result of that synergy was the setting up of a special unit by the Rivers State Police Command to respond to PHED concerns, saying that other formations were also partnering with the DisCo to enable it perform its duties without let or hindrance.
Uwheru also restated his readiness to respect the rights of workers and work with the labour unions to ensure that issues around the welfare of staff were prioritised, as according to him, an energised and motivated workforce was an enabler for scaling up profitability and growth in the business.
The Tide checks reveal that before he took over in July, PHED management had procured and put to use over 100 vehicles; procured over 1,000 PPEs for technicians and engineers; and 345 ladders to enable technical crews respond to customer needs as quickly as possible.
It also promoted 722 staff in 2021; 62 in August, 2021, and 66 in January, 2022; and launched engineering training scheme where 25 young engineers have already undergone training this year, all geared toward motivating workers.
Uwheru said that the improved revenue collection in August shows enhanced customer confidence in PHED, adding that more pro-people initiatives were being implemented to boost company-customer relations, reduce hostility against PHED staff, as well as curtail other sticky issues of energy theft, metre bypass, and vandalisation of critical electricity assets.
Before July, PHED had intensified public enlightenment campaigns across all the franchise states to create awareness on the dangers of vandalisation of electricity assets, consequences of energy theft, and the blow-back of refusal to pay for electricity consumed by customers.
In addition to media campaigns and public education initiatives, special community liaison officers/teams had been engaging beneficiary communities to further deepen interactions with the aim of fostering understanding and cooperation while creating buy-in of stakeholders to protect PHED facilities and also ensure improved revenue inflow.
To consolidate on the gains already made, PHED also began implementing impactful corporate social responsibility (CSR) programmes that contribute to national development in many ways through interventions to enhance quality education, healthcare delivery and social development in communities, particularly among the vulnerable ones.
The initiatives include the donation of over 1,400 bags of rice to vulnerable people during the COVID-19 pandemic era in 2020; organisation of women’s week and visit to Motherless Babies’ Home, and Home for the Elderly in Port Harcourt in 2020; as well as supply of complete set of school bags to one of the state government-owned primary schools in Port Harcourt.
The PHED further sponsored Innovate Arts Academy for schools worth over N2.8million in Bayelsa State in 2021; school children’s competition in 2021; and donation of over 1,000 writing materials during the 2022 Children’s Day to schools in Rivers and Cross River states.
Uwheru said that his team would continue with the good policies already helping to scale up the company’s performance while introducing new strategies to bridge existing gaps, including keying into the walk-for-security road show and featuring on live interactive media programmes in Port Harcourt, among others.
By: Nelson Chukwudi
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports1 day ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
News4 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
