Connect with us

Sports

AFCON 2021 Title Rewrites History For Mane, Senegal

Published

on

Winning the 2021 African Cup of Nations title in Cameroon, Senegal’s Teranga Lions’ first, has become the highlight of skipper Sadio Mane’s football career, the best day and best trophy of his life. It also enabled Senegal to exorcise the pains of past disappointments.
Mane scored the winning penalty in the shootout against Egypt, having seen a first-half spot-kick saved as Sunday’s game ended 0-0 after extra time.
The West Africans had previously lost two Nations Cup finals, including a 1-0 defeat by Algeria three years ago and after getting his hands on the trophy said, “It’s the best day of my life and the best trophy of my life,”.best trophy of my life,”.
According to the 29-year-old Liverpool forward, “I won the Champions League and some [other] trophies but this is the special one for me. This is more important for me.
“I am happy for myself, my people and all of my family.”
Mane had been given a chance to give Senegal an early lead in Cameroon after Saliou Ciss was brought down in the area by Mohamed Abdelmonem in the fourth minute.
However, he saw his attempt beaten away by Egypt keeper Gabaski.
Mane credits his team-mates with giving him the strength to return in the shootout, where he sealed a 4-2 triumph.
“When I missed the first penalty, it was a big blow for me,” he said.
“But my team-mates came to me and said ‘Sadio, we lose together and we win together. We know you. You have done too much for us – keep on going’.
“That made me stronger and I think it made the difference when I got the second one.
“All the boys came to me and said ‘Sadio, we trust you’ and that gave me more motivation. The trophy belongs to the whole Senegal team, everyone deserves it.”
Mane was also named player of the tournament, and the morning after the final he posted a picture of himself in bed with the trophy and his winner’s medal.
For Senegal coach Aliou Cisse, it was victory at the third attempt in the Nations Cup final.
The 45-year-old captained the Teranga Lions when they finished as runners-up in 2002, missing the decisive penalty in the shootout against Cameroon, and was in the dugout in 2019.
He dedicated the victory to his countrymen before his post-match press conference was interrupted by his squad for celebrations.
“It was long, it was difficult, at times complicated but we never gave up,” Cisse said.
“I think that really proves the mental strength of this generation. We are very happy, we dedicate this victory to the Senegalese people, because since independence until now we are running after this first star.
“Today, we will also have a star on our shirt.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Claims Over Dadiyata’s Disappearance, Ganduje Wants El-Rufai’s Scrutiny

Published

on

Former Governor of Kano state, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje, has firmly rejected allegations by his former Kaduna State counterpart, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, linking him to the disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata.
In a measured but unequivocal response contained in a statement signed by former Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs in Kano State, Comrade Muhammad Garba, the former APC national chairman described the allegation as reckless, unfounded and a clear attempt to shift responsibility for an incident that occurred entirely within Kaduna State.
He emphasised that Dadiyata lived and operated in Kaduna, where he was widely known for directing his criticisms at the Kaduna State government.
According to him, there is no credible record suggesting that the activist’s primary focus was the Kano State government or Dr. Ganduje.
“Everyone in Kaduna knew the nature of the criticism he made and who it was directed at,” he stated, noting that responsibility for security in Kaduna at the time rested with the state government and the relevant federal security agencies operating there.
The statement called for careful scrutiny of Mallam El-Rufai’s recent remarks, stressing that such serious allegations must be supported by verifiable evidence rather than political rhetoric.
Dragging Dr Ganduje into the matter without proof, Comrade Garba said, not only politicises a painful and unresolved episode but also risks further confusing the public over an already sensitive case.
Contrasting the political climates of both States during the period in question, Comrade Garba maintained that Dr Ganduje’s two-term administration in Kano State was marked by tolerance for criticism, open media engagement and acceptance of opposition voices.
“Unlike many political leaders who maintained strained relationships with the media, we allowed scrutiny, accommodated critical voices and even learned from dissenting perspectives,” he said.
The former Commissioner added that there was no record of arrests, intimidation or harassment of journalists or critics in Kano State during Dr Ganduje’s tenure.
He further observed that public discourse surrounding Dadiyata’s disappearance has, over the years, centred largely on events within Kaduna State and noted further that former Senator Shehu Sani had openly remarked that many individuals within the State were reluctant to speak publicly about the case, while commentator Reno Omokri previously raised allegations questioning how the matter was handled at the time.
Comrade Garba also expressed concern over Mallam El-Rufai’s claim that a police officer allegedly confessed to being sent from Kano to abduct Dadiyata.
He questioned why such grave information, if credible, was not formally disclosed to investigative authorities or pursued transparently through appropriate security channels at the time.
“It is difficult to reconcile a claim of having no prior knowledge of the individual with simultaneously making detailed assertions about who was responsible,” he noted.
While reiterating sympathy for Dadiyata’s family, Comrade Garba stressed that the priority should remain on uncovering the truth through lawful and transparent investigative processes.
“The family deserves closure,” he said. “What they do not deserve is for this tragic matter to become an instrument of political blame-shifting.”
He concluded by urging anyone with credible information regarding the abduction to present it to the appropriate authorities, emphasizing that accountability must rest on facts and due process, not speculation.

 

Continue Reading

Sports

Leeds Edge Birmingham City To advance 

Published

on

Leeds yesterday beat Birmingham in a penalty shootout to squeeze into the FA Cup fifth round for the third time in four years.

Goalkeeper Lucas Perri denied Tommy Doyle before Patrick Roberts, who scored a stunning equaliser in the 89th minute, blazed over.

Up stepped Sean Longstaff to score Leeds’ fourth spot-kick from four and send Daniel Farke’s side into the last 16.

Defeat was tough on Chris Davies’ Birmingham side, who pushed their Premier League opponents all the way before falling to only their third home defeat of the season.

The hosts, whose fans applauded owner Tom Wagner as the American continues his recovery from a stroke, deserve huge credit for their display.

And with their cup dream over for another year the ambitious Blues, who are two points off the Championship play-offs, will turn their attention to ending their 15-year exile from the top flight.

 

Continue Reading

Sports

Goals light up Nathaniel Idowu U-14 League Week Three

Published

on

The third week of the Nathaniel Idowu-Ajegunle U-14 Football League delivered a feast of action, with six matches that kept fans entertained and players showcasing their budding talent.

In one of the games of the week, Ajegunle United SC edged Best of Best International FA 2–1, courtesy of Ajibola Malik’s 12th-minute strike and James Solomon’s decisive penalty in the 40th minute. Lukman Jaiyeola had earlier equalised from the spot for Best of Best in the 23rd minute. Solomon’s match-winning effort earned him the Man of the Match award.

Pure Talents FA produced one of the standout performances of the week, thumping Sharp Talent FA 4–1. Igbowu Adeleke stole the show with a brilliant hat-trick, scoring in the 26th, 36th, and 40+1 minutes, while Isah Ibrahim added another.

Suliamon Ibrahim had briefly given Sharp Talent the lead in the 4th minute, but Adeleke’s heroics sealed the win and the Man of the Match accolade.

Divinely Blessed FA cruised to a 3–0 victory over Coal City FA, with Mahmud Musa netting twice in quick succession (30th and 34th minutes) and Amadu Daniel adding another in the 32nd minute. Daniel’s commanding display earned him the Man of the Match award.

Young 11 FA and Moree Wins FA battled to a goalless draw, with Akachukwu Uzoma of Young 11 FA recognised as Man of the Match for his solid performance among others.

Continue Reading

Trending