Connect with us

Politics

Between Amendment And A New Constitution

Published

on

A nation’s Constitution is the foundation of its existence. It is supposed to set the terms of our nationhood and define who we are in a manner that reflects both our common truths and highest aspirations. Our constitution falls short of this standard because the 1999 Constitution is the product of a hurried national compromise that we entered into two decades ago in order to ensure that the military returned to the barracks and that we returned to democratic government”, Femi Gbajabiamila, Speaker of the House of Representatives said as he addressed participants at the zonal public hearing on the review of the 1999 constitution by the National Assembly, earlier in the week.
While acknowledging that the same exercise had been undertaken a couple of times in the past, the Speaker said this one by the 9th National Assembly might be the most important constitutional amendment process in the nation’s recent history because the decisions that would be taken will have far-reaching consequences for the future of Nigeria.
“It was always the intention that we, will one day, as one people and one nation, return to amend this document so that it gives voice to the yearnings of the Nigerian people and sets out in clear details how we intend to achieve the shared ambitions of our nationhood.
“Providence has cast upon the 9th National Assembly the responsibility to write such a constitution for the Nigerian people”, he said.
However, as the public hearing (the zonal hearings have been concluded while the exercise at the national level has been scheduled to hold in Abuja between Thursday and Friday this week) draws to a close, it has become quite hazy as regards what Nigerians exactly want between a constitutional amendment and the writing of a brand new constitution.
Those who see nothing wrong in amending the constitution say that nothing will be lost in reviewing the document as many times as possible as far as it is impossible to get a perfect constitution at any given time, anywhere in the world. They say, therefore, irrespective of how many times this same route had been taken in the past without substantial result, the current exercise is still worth the while and deserves the full engagement of all Nigerians as long as it addresses the challenges that necessitated it in the first place.
While announcing the two-day National Public Hearing on proposals to alter the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 at plenary last Tuesday, the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan expressed satisfaction with the conduct of the exercise across the six geo-political zones of the country and urged Nigerians to seize the opportunity to freely express themselves with a view to refurbishing the document to serve them better. “(And) in fact, the report we received has shown that, in all the centres, the public hearings were quite successful.
“I want to also appeal to Nigerians to take the opportunity of the national public hearing that will start on Thursday (yesterday).
“This is an effort that the National Assembly, particularly the Senate, is attached to. “we believe that we must do whatever is necessary to provide a platform for Nigerians to air their views, give their positions and canvass for whatever they feel would make our country better, and make governance more efficient and successful.
“We have no pre-conceived positions on anything and, therefore, this is the time for our citizens to take the opportunity”, Lawan said.
Addressing the Public Hearing by the Senate in the South-South zone in Port Harcourt last week, the Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike spoke in favour of the effort at amending the constitution but pointed out that the success of the exercise was dependent on sincerity of purpose ad commitment to correcting the fundamental challenges that have caused deep cracks to the foundation of the country.
Speaking through Dr Ipalibo Harry Banigo, his deputy, Chief Wike said even though some others believe otherwise, he was of the opinion that the exercise was a welcome one “since we already have a constitution that we have practised for over 20 years, which shortcomings can be corrected through amendments”.
According to him, “The truth is that whether new or old, what Nigerians need is a constitution that approximates the collective aspirations of all Nigerians to live in a country that is free, fair and just to all component parts. Nigerians need a constitution that will give them a true sense of belonging, secure and advance their well-being and enable their children to aspire to actualize their potentials for any office without discrimination”.
He emphasised that “No one is deceived that the present constitution alienates minority societies, justifies the provocative expropriation of the people’s resources and gives greater resources to a gluttonous Federal Government to the detriment of the states and local government areas.
“There is no way ordinary Nigerians will strive and prosper under a constitution that overburdens a nebulous Federal Government with too many socio-economic tasks and responsibilities beyond its capacity and competence to deliver”.
Conversely, groups like the Southern and Middle Belt Leaders Forum are of the view that what the country needs at this point in time is a brand new constitution, that will issue from a fresh National Dialogue involving all ethnic nationalities and stakeholder groups in the Nigerian project.
In a communique issued at the end of its meeting jointly signed by Chief Edwin Clark, Chief Ayo Adobanjo of Afenifere, Prof George Obiozor, President General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Dr Pogu Bitrus, National President of Middle Belt Forum and Senator Emmanuel Essien, National Chairman, Pan Niger Delta forum (PANDEF), the group urged the Federal Government to heed the nationwide call for a transparent National Dialogue, “And take urgent steps towards restructuring and birthing a new constitution to bring back equitable harmony to the country”.
They said “We insist that it is imperative to immediately restructure the country considering the precarious prevailing atmosphere before any further elections”, beginning with the forthcoming 2023 general polls.
Addressing a press conference in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital on Wednesday, this week, the Civil Rights Council (CRC), a civil society organisation, described the ongoing constitution review exercise as a jamboree and a waste of tax payer’s money and urged President Muhammadu Buhari to implement previous amendments instead.\
The National Coordinator of the group, Barr Arochukwu Paul Ogbonna said since the return of democracy in 1999, successive governments had convened various constitutional conferences and constitution amendment exercises that had come out with recommendations but had lacked the political will to implement them.
The CRC insisted that the solution to the problems of the country laid in a referendum and the making of a totally new constitution initiated by Nigerians and acceptable to all the socio-political, religious and cultural constituents but in the interim, challenged the present administration to muster the requisite “political will and courage to implement already preferred solutions contained in previous conference reports instead of allowing the nation to go round in circles in a journey to nowhere of seasonal constitutional amendments. that way, we must have solved one problem and also tackled the culture of constitutional amendments, corruption and bad politics that goes with it”.
Notwithstanding the arguments for amendment of the 1999 Constitution or the working of a fresh document, what is of utmost importance to Nigerians is the fundamental alteration of the present consitution to give the people a new lease of life and a fresh and sustainable outlook to the structure of the country that all Nigerians will be proud to belong to in peace, prosperity and contentment.
As Governor Wike noted: “It is only the blind that may not see that Nigeria is headed for a dangerous precipice, (and) unless something urgent and drastic is done to correct the identified flaws in both our constitution and the nature of federal system that has been foisted on this country for so long.
“The contending issues are not new, they have been raised, identified and debated at several fora and platforms over and over by almost every social group, association and ethnicity in this country”.
The onus is now on the National Assembly to save this country by endsuring that this exercise is thorough, comprehensive and far reaching enough to inspire hope in Nigerians for a more inclusive, just, fair and equitable country.
There can be no greater service for Ahmad Lawan and Femi Gbajabiamila to render to Nigeria and Nigerians.

By: Opaka Dokubo

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term

Published

on

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt Hon. Tajudeen Abbas, on Saturday emerged unopposed as the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate for Zaria Federal Constituency ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.

The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.

The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.

At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.

According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.

Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.

Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.

At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.

He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.

Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”

He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.

Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.

He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.

Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.

Continue Reading

Politics

C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade

Published

on

Some members of the National Assembly (NASS) from Cross River State seeking reelection have cried foul over the All Progressives Congress (APC) primaries conducted on Saturday, describing the processes as a “charade.”

The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews

protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.


The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.

 

According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.

 

They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.

 

Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.

Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.

 

“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.

 

“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.

 

“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.

 

“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.

 

In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.

 

“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”

Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.

 

According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.

 

“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.

 

“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race

Published

on

A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.

The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.

The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.

The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.

“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.

The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.

It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.

“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.

The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.

It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.

INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER

All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.

In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.

He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”

He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.

Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.

He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”

The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.

Continue Reading

Trending