Politics
RSG Signs Contracts For Trans – Kalabari Road
Last week , Rivers State Government signed contracts for the construction of two major roads — the Trans- Kalabari Road project (phase one), and the Saakpenwa-Bori-Kono Road (phase two).
At the event which took place last Wednesday at Government House, Port Harcourt, the State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Prof Zacchaeus Adangor, Commissioner for Works, Elloka Tasie-Amadi and the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Works, Mrs Ebere Emenike signed on behalf of the state government while the General Manager of CCECC, Zou Xiaowei and his Deputy, Gao Qiang, the General Manager of Lubrick Construction Company, Rabich Elramedi and Kennedy Odogbo, signed for their respective companies.
Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, said the signing of the two projects was a demonstration of the importance his administration places on opening up more rural communities.
Also last week, the state security outfit code named, C.4.I was re-launched to boost security in the state.
Governor Wike, who presented 29 operational vehicles to the Police at the event which took place at Government House, Port Harcourt, urged the Police to be more proactive in combating crimes by taking the battle to the criminals.
The Governor noted that his administration has sustained its support to security agencies in the state, but expressed dismay that two armoured helicopters worth over $10 million which the state government gave to the Nigerian Airforce to fight oil theft and sea piracy in the state have been diverted to fighting Boko Haram.
The Governor warned that the state government would not hesitate to withdraw the gunboats it was about to present to the Army, Navy the Police if they are deployed for use in other states.
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar Adamu, who was represented by the Assistant Inspector-General of Police, Zone 16 , Austin Agbonlohor commended the governor for his continued support to the Police.
Another major event in Brick House last week was the sacking of the Commissioner for Environment, Dr Igbiks Tamuno by govovernor Wike. The governor directed the sacked Commissioner to submit all government property and documents in his possession to the Permanent Secretary of the ministry.
According to the governor, the Commissioner was sacked because he engaged in acts amounting to sabotage. He was alleged to have written a letter to Julius Berger, directing the company to stop ongoing state projects without the consent of the Governor.
“ I don’t know how a Commissioner can write a company to stop work without my approval, and Julius Berger in that matter, to stop construction in the entire state. I have never heard of such thing before. I don’t know that the commissioners have so much power like that,” the governor said .
As the world celebrates this year’s Easter, the Rivers State Governor has urged Christians to emulate Jesus Christ by making sacrifices that would advance the course of development.
The Governor’s Easter message which was contained in a release signed by his Special Assistant on Media, Kelvin Ebiri, called on the people of the state to rededicate themselves to the service of the state as they reflect on the ideals of Good Friday and Easter celebrations.
Governor Wike also urged the privileged in the society to reach out to the less privileged as everyone works to deepen the culture of true Christianity , before, during and after the celebrations, promising that he would continue to make sacrifices for the state, defend her interest and provide good governance.
Within the week under review, the Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba paid Gov Wike a courtesy visit at Government House. The minister said he was in the state for the official launch of “ Better Education Service Delivery For All Programme for Result” .
Governor Wike used the occasion to dissociate himself from those calling for the scrapping of the counterpart funding for basic education in the country. He said counterpart funding avails state governments opportunity to show commitment in the provision of good educational foundation for children in their states.
He noted that his administration places high premium for education hence nothing less than 30 per cent is being allocated to the sector in the state budget . He called on the Federal Government to increase it’s budgetary allocation on education because of the importance of the sector
Excited by the award of the Trans-Kalabari Road project, the Kalabari Traditional Rulers Council, led by the King of Abonnema, King Disreal Gbobo Bob-Manuel , paid a thank you visit to Gov Wike last Friday in Brick House.
King Bob-Manuel expressed gratitude of the entire Kalabari people to the Gov for breaking the jinx that had frustrated progress with the Trans-Kalabari Road project.
Gov Wike said the essence of the critical projects in Kalabari Communities was to secure enduring development and not politics as beilng misconstrued by some critics of his administration. He charged the people of the area to secure the project by providing internal security.
Also last week, Gov Wike presented certificate of recognition and staff of office to His Royal Majesty, Nyenwe Eli Omunakwe Nyeche Nsirim and Amangada XI of Rebisi Kingdom , His Royal Highness, Eze Anthony Worlu Akarolo.
By: Chris Oluoh
Politics
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.
The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.
The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.
At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.
According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.
Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.
Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.
At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.
He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.
Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”
He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.
Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.
He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.
Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.
Politics
C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade
The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews
protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.
The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.
According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.
They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.
Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.
Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.
“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.
“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.
“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.
“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.
In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.
“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”
Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.
According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.
“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.
“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.
Politics
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.
The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.
The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.
The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.
“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.
The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.
It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.
“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.
The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.
It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.
INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER
All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.
In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.
He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”
He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.
Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.
He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”
The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.
-
Editorial1 day agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation1 day agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy1 day agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Environment1 day agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Politics1 day ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
News1 day agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Politics1 day ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
Maritime1 day agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
