News
Court Orders Police To Show Cause For Detaining Melaye
An Abuja High Court sitting in Maitama yesterday ordered the police to show cause over it’s continued detention of Sen. Dino Melaye.
Melaye, the senator representing Kogi West in the National Assembly, who has been in police custody since January 4, approached the court for enforcement of his fundamental right.
Justice Yusuf Halilu gave the order after Melaye’s counsel, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN) informed the court that his client had been in police custody since January 4, against what the law stipulated.
“We are talking about the liberty of a citizen not because he is a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, but a citizen, this is contrary to sections 35 and 36 of the Constitution of Nigeria.
“If you keep a man for 13 days you have already presumed him guilty, “he submitted.
The respondent counsel, Mr Simon Lough told the court that he only got the motion on notice on January 16, and needed five days according to law to reply.
He added that he was and not aware of the order to show cause.
He said though Melaye was in the police custody, he as the counsel, did not have the power to effect his investigation which was ongoing, preparatory to charging him to court.
Lough therefore prayed the court for an adjournment to enable him file and serve his reply before January 18.
The judge explained that the police was put on notice to come and show cause why the detained senator should not be granted bail.
“The court was approached by the police for his custody and the court granted it, and now the court ordered that the police should come and explain why he would not be released.
“I granted an order on January 14, that the police should come and show cause,’’ the judge said.
He, however, adjourned hearing till January 18, to enable the respondent file his reply on the applicant.
Both parties agreed to the application for adjournment prayed by the respondent.
The judge further ordered the respondent to serve the applicant all the processes today.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
