Connect with us

News

Minimum Wage:Labour Gives Buhari, FG Dec 31 Date For Report Submission …SSANIP Issues 3-Week Ultimatum, Plans National Strike …As Aggrieved NASS Workers Suspend Strike

Published

on

The organised labour, yesterday, said that the Federal Government has before or on December 31 to send the tripartite committee report on N30,000 minimum wage to the National Assembly. Ayuba Wabba, NLC President Minimum Wage:
The three labour centres, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the United Labour Congress (ULC) took the decision after a joint meeting in Lagos.
The organised labour gave the ultimatum following President Muhammadu Buhari’s statement that a “high powered technical committee” would be set up to device ways to ensure that its implementation did not lead to an increase in the level of borrowing.
Buhari spoke at the presentation of 2019 Appropriation Bill to the National Assembly in Abuja on Wednesday.
The NLC President, Mr Ayuba Wabba, who addressed newsmen after the meeting, said that setting up a technical committee could not be a condition for passing the minimum wage report to the National Assembly.
Accoridng to Wabba, the organised labour cannot guarantee industrial peace and harmony in the country if the wage report was not passed for implementation on or before Dec. 31.
“We reject in its entirety the plan to set up another `high powered technical committee’ on the minimum wage. It is diversionary and a delay tactics.
“The national minimum wage committee was both technical and all-encompassing in its compositions and plan. To set up another technical committee is alien to the tripartite process.
“It is also alien to the International Labour Organisations’ conventions on national minimum wage setting mechanism,’’ he said.
The labour leader said that issues on payment of minimum wage was a law that was universal, citing that other African countries like, Kenya, Ghana and South Africa had increased their minimum wage this year.
“If you increase minimum wage, you are increasing the purchasing power of the economy which will help to reduce inflation rather than increase it,’’ Wabba said.
He urged workers to be vigilant and prepare to campaign and vote against candidates and politicians who are not willing to implement the new minimum wage.
Mr Joe Ajaero, President of ULC, also called on the government to send the report to lawmakers so that the implementation of the new minimum wage report would begin without delay.
Ajaero said that all affiliate members of the organised labour had been informed to be alert ahead of the Dec. 31 notice if the government failed to submit the report.
The organised labour had planned to go on a nationwide strike on Nov. 6, following the Federal Government’s delay to accept the N30,000 minimum wage agreement.
Meanwhile, Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Polytechnics (SSANIP) has given the Federal Government a three-week ultimatum within which to resume “re-negotiation” with its national executive to avert a nationwide industrial action by its members.
SSANIP, according to a release made available to journalists in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, Adebanjo Ogunsipe, said the resolution was made at its 58th National Executive Councils/General Executive meeting held at the Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi State.
Ogunsipe said the Association frowned at the apathy and continued delay of the re-negotiation of the 2010 agreement the Federal government had with all unions in the polytechnic sector.
In a similar vein, the senior polytechnic administrators called on the National Assembly to expedite actions on the bill for the review of polytechnic Act, noting that the challenges confronting the polytechnic sector would abate if the bill is passed.
SSANIP expressed great displeasure over what it described as gross inadequate funding of state polytechnics and similar institutions by some state governors.
It urged state governors to live up to their responsibilities by adequately funding their respective polytechnics.
The polytechnics senior workers lamented the state of insecurity in the country with particular reference to the kidnap and death of its members at Oshun State College of Technology, Esa Oke and Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo and called on the Federal government to check the spate of insecurity across the nation.
On discrimination against HND holders, SSANIP’s apex body condemned in strong terms, the continued discrimination and marginalization of HND holders in the labour market, especially, by public and private organizations despite the abolition of the HND/B.SCdichotomy by the federal government.
It urged all stakeholders to adhere strictly to the federal government policy on the abolition of HND/BSC dichotomy.
In related development, the four-day warning strike called by aggrieved workers of the National Assembly has been suspended, our correspondent report.
The workers had under the auspices of the Parliamentary Staff Association of Nigeria (PASAN), last Monday commenced the action in protest of their unpaid 28 percent consolidated legislative salary structure (CONLESS), approved since 2010, as well as other issues bordering on poor conditions of service.
ýAddressing news men in Abuja to update the public about on the warning strike, the Chairman of PASAN Comrade Musa Muhammed Bature and other union leaders disclosed that the strike action had been suspended as some of their demands were being addressed by the management.
According to him, the management had agreed to implement 28 percent increment in the Consolidated Legislative Salary Structure (CONLESS) after lengthy discussions with the workers and that its payment would start from January next year.
He further disclosed that on the review of condition of service, the management had confirmed that both the two Chambers of the National Assembly had passed the document and that the process of harmonisation had commenced and would be formalised as soon as the document was endorsed.
The union leader explained that on the issue of promotions, the management vigorously agreed that outstanding letters of promotion would be released as soon as work resumes while on the issue of no vacancy, a committee was set up with the union to identify available vacancies before the end of the year 2018.
Speaking on the constitution of the Commissioners of the National Assembly Service Commission (NASC), he said that the names of the nominees had been forwarded to the President for appointment.
The Union said that they continue negotiations with the management on those issues and thanked the workers for their commitment to ensure the success of the strike.
They had issued a notice of strike to the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki and Secretariat of National Assembly Service Commission on Friday December 14, 2018.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending