News
Death Toll In Shiites Abuja Killings Up By 10 – Group
The Shiite Islamic Movement of Nigeria says it has received 10 additional bodies of its members who died during a recent clash between the group and the Nigerian military.
The Shiites, who last week clashed with the army in Abuja after the group began an inter-state annual religious trek, initially said 47 members were killed when soldiers opened fire on them.
Yesterday, the members said they received additional 10 corpses from the police and would bury them at Mararaba, a town in the outskirts of the Federal Capital Territory.
“Ten more corpses from the Arbaeen Abuja killing were recovered yesterday from police. Burial will take place today at Mararaba,” the group said in a statement sent to yesterday.
This would bring the death toll to 57.
Apart from fulfilling a religious obligation, the Abuja trek was organised to demand release of their leader, Ibrahim El-Zakzaky.
Mr El-Zakzaky was arrested in December, 2015 after his followers clashed with a convoy of the Nigerian Army, conveying the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai.
Although the Nigerian government confirmed over 300 Shiite members were killed in the 2015 clash, no officer has been tried over the matter. Mr El-Zakzaky was arraigned on eight counts, for alleged murder, in April.
The Shiite members, whose protests contributed to the arraignment of Mr El-Zakzaky have vowed to continue their demand for the release of their leader.
The various protests have been violent with the Shiite members clashing with military officers, resulting in the deaths of many.
While the military blames the Shiite members for provoking the clampdown, the Shiite members denied the allegation, saying the attacks on their members were premeditated and caused by the Nigerian government.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
